Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 05:26 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,690,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
By that criteria, the Braves shouldn't bring back most of their bullpen for 2022.

I realize they looked great in the NLCS, but trust me as a fan who tracked them daily, they were horrendous the 1st 2/3rds of the season. They cost us more games than any other team I've followed in the past 45 years. If they could, our starters would tell you so.

I'm ecstatic that they came through when it mattered most, but I'd equate that to the Miracle on Ice.

I'd flush 2/3rds of them down the toilet.

Let's see how the Astros hit the Braves Pen.

NO lead is safe with this bunch.

That's not really apples to apples. Your bullpen struggled but it still helped you make the playoffs.
I'll break this down because you probably don't know much about Souza Jr.

He was released/sent down earlier in the year. They wanted his power so they brought him back to be a PH in the playoffs. He did horrible the whole time and struck out twice looking.

That would be the same if you had a reliever come in & give up 2 walk off base hits by throwing it right down the plate. Having not contributed ANYTHING to the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2021, 06:12 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,939 times
Ive been a Dodger Fan since around 1957, but I really didn't want to watch last night.

1. I believe in the US Constitution and Bill of Rights ( yeah Im an attorney-former District Atty) and Bauer should not have been suspended. We could have used him so many times when instead we used a bullpen and worn out pitchers. I didn't keep count but pitchers on 3 or less day rest did horribly for us. What was the risk? He wasn't going to go beat up the Braves players or have rough sex with them. He will get his day in court and I see no evidence he was trying to postpone it.

2. My favorite players were all out of the lineup-- Muncy- Kershaw- Joe Turner and others.

I just didn't want to watch half a team play.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:24 PM

25,704 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
That's not really apples to apples. Your bullpen struggled but it still helped you make the playoffs.
I'll break this down because you probably don't know much about Souza Jr.

He was released/sent down earlier in the year. They wanted his power so they brought him back to be a PH in the playoffs. He did horrible the whole time and struck out twice looking.

That would be the same if you had a reliever come in & give up 2 walk off base hits by throwing it right down the plate. Having not contributed ANYTHING to the team.
Our bullpen was awful 2/3rds of the seaon, all 8 of them. You are talking about 1 dude who was added for the playoffs only...big diff. You are focusing on 2 at bats.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Ive been a Dodger Fan since around 1957, but I really didn't want to watch last night.

1. I believe in the US Constitution and Bill of Rights ( yeah Im an attorney-former District Atty) and Bauer should not have been suspended. We could have used him so many times when instead we used a bullpen and worn out pitchers. I didn't keep count but pitchers on 3 or less day rest did horribly for us. What was the risk? He wasn't going to go beat up the Braves players or have rough sex with them. He will get his day in court and I see no evidence he was trying to postpone it.

2. My favorite players were all out of the lineup-- Muncy- Kershaw- Joe Turner and others.

I just didn't want to watch half a team play.
Okay, then the Braves should have been able to play Marcel Ozuna then right?

My favorite players,Ronald Acuna, & Mike Soroka were also out of the Braves line-ups, & we just got Travis D'Arnaud back, so I had to watch 1/2 my team play most of the year too.

You got beat, fair and square, by a team who was as challenged as yours, so get over it.

Oh, and the Braves payroll is 1/2 that of your Dodgers, so our front office beat you too!

Old 10-24-2021, 06:31 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post

1. I believe in the US Constitution and Bill of Rights ( yeah Im an attorney-former District Atty) and Bauer should not have been suspended. .
I fully disagree, as MLB is a private employer, and I support the right of any private employer to set their own terms of employment, short of EEOC violating terms.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Our bullpen was awful 2/3rds of the seaon, all 8 of them. You are talking about 1 dude who was added for the playoffs only...big diff. You are focusing on 2 at bats.
Exactly, that's why I made the point about calling him out. He struck out twice on 3rd call strikes. We removed good bullpen pitchers for his at bat. If we wanted to just take an out we could've kept the bullpen pitchers in the game that would ultimately help us.

There are no excuses to go up there as a PH and not swing the bat in big game situations. Even if he had struck out swinging at least he tried.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:20 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
I'm still confused, and maybe someone on here can correct me, as to why they removed David Price from the NLCS roster?? I would think after the Giants series they would want to keep someone that could pitch multiple innings and or make a spot start in case a starter got knocked out early or injured, which basically happened the entire series! I know he got added after Kelly got injured, but I don't recall him getting into game 6.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'm still confused, and maybe someone on here can correct me, as to why they removed David Price from the NLCS roster?? I would think after the Giants series they would want to keep someone that could pitch multiple innings and or make a spot start in case a starter got knocked out early or injured, which basically happened the entire series! I know he got added after Kelly got injured, but I don't recall him getting into game 6.
I think they just lost all faith in Price. He hadn't been very good at all. It is true that it's good to have a guy like him to pitch multiple innings if you get way up/down but I think they figured every game was going to be close. Which honestly wasn't the case.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Price in 2022. I think he is owed 16m from the Dodgers. Dodgers as of right now need SP's but not sure Price is a good guy to give that too but they may not have a choice.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Exactly, that's why I made the point about calling him out. He struck out twice on 3rd call strikes. We removed good bullpen pitchers for his at bat. If we wanted to just take an out we could've kept the bullpen pitchers in the game that would ultimately help us.

There are no excuses to go up there as a PH and not swing the bat in big game situations. Even if he had struck out swinging at least he tried.
I agree. My Son made it to AAAAAA High School ball before he quit to excel at Varsity Tennis, but I drilled into his head that after strike 2, if you can reach it, your are swinging. He had the most game winning hits using that strategy, but H.S. is not MLB. Worked for us like a charm.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:24 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Break a leg, Freddie! Literally

Signed,

Lifelong Braves Fan

Freddie Freeman reports to LA Dodgers spring training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball