Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:49 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,276,454 times

Advertisements

I spend about $110 per WEEK at the grocery store. I could spend less if I shopped at Wal Mart, but I do not like the quality of their meat & fish and the selection on the shelves is lacking.

To help reduce costs I buy a whole turkey about every 4-6 weeks. We eat roast turkey and turkey a la king (very easy to make). Then I make soup out of whatever is left & freeze in individual sized containers. These are great for quick lunches or snacks. I also buy hams and whole chickens instead of chicken parts.

I have also become less brand loyal. Many of the store brands are exactly the same as the name brands because they are made by the same factory. Eliminating soda & junk food (hardest thing I have ever tried to do) has saved me a lot. I also buy all of my cleaning products, paper goods, and frozen food at Sam's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 03:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,637,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnywabbit! View Post
$150/month on groceries sounds a bit much.
a month.....

I guess you aren't buying wine or Brie with that budget? I am lucky if I spend under 200 or 300 per week. I am penalized for buying organic vegetables, I guess.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:03 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,271,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
a month.....

I guess you aren't buying wine or Brie with that budget? I am lucky if I spend under 200 or 300 per week. I am penalized for buying organic vegetables, I guess.
PHEW! For a second there I was feeling guilty thinking I ate too much!!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I spend about $110 per WEEK at the grocery store. I could spend less if I shopped at Wal Mart, but I do not like the quality of their meat & fish and the selection on the shelves is lacking.

To help reduce costs I buy a whole turkey about every 4-6 weeks. We eat roast turkey and turkey a la king (very easy to make). Then I make soup out of whatever is left & freeze in individual sized containers. These are great for quick lunches or snacks. I also buy hams and whole chickens instead of chicken parts.

I have also become less brand loyal. Many of the store brands are exactly the same as the name brands because they are made by the same factory. Eliminating soda & junk food (hardest thing I have ever tried to do) has saved me a lot. I also buy all of my cleaning products, paper goods, and frozen food at Sam's.

Great advice!! I'm not much of a cook so that's why I buy chicken breat instead of whole turkey or chicken. I wouldn't know what to do with them! My Mom is visiting me this week so I guess she can teach me. hehe.

I love SAM'S!

Old 05-12-2007, 04:20 PM

19,975 posts, read 30,322,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

evey, you are correct,,,most "private label" or store brands,,are the same as a national brand,,,,just a different label,,

you are wise to buy a whole, chicken or turkey,,,,
when a chicken (whole) goes on sale,,say for 69lb,,,take a couple ring the bell and ask them (meatcutters) to cut it up,,in parts,,they will at no charge,,,,even have them split,,,good for the grill,,

if you only buy the real lean burger,,95% and above,,watch for the sales,,,say top round steak is on sale,,,for 2.29lb....you can grab a few steaks ,,,out of the meatcase and ask them to grind it,,,they will at no charge,,and its as lean as 95% ,,less 1.50 lb..

you are no "bother" to the meatcutters,,thats what they are thier for,,,
there's no butchers at walmart,,so you got to do it somewhere else

Old 05-12-2007, 04:37 PM

That's one thing I don't do ... look for sales.

I guess I should start!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
That's one thing I don't do ... look for sales.

I guess I should start!
foma,,,you should take all the grocerystore flyers, look thru all of them, and just buy the sales,,pay close attention to the front page,,,most supermarkets are on what they call a hi-low pricing format,,, they'll have some "hot" features to draw customers thru the door,,on items they arent making much margin on,,,,,in hopes customers will pick up enough other items that arent on sale,,,to make there overall margins,

you'll save thousands a year,,just buying sale items,,and stocking up on them.
know the brand named items you use ,,well, and price-points, for example 100 oz tide,,,,regular price might be 6-7.99 unit,,but on sale for 4.99..discipline yourself,,on these price benchmarks,,
if you like boneless chicken breasts,,,,,wait for a sale usually 1.99 lb,,,
yet regular retail for the same item around here is 3.59lb....so stock up on what you like,,even if you have to buy in bulk,,,use ziploc bags to freeze..
nickels and dimes,,add up!
pasta in particular is very inexpensive,,,there are thousands of websites for different recipes using pasta,,
and as someone has already said,,tho i despise going into walmart,,they do have cheaper prices (across the board) than most supermarkets,,in the aisles, and especially, cleaning products,,and toilet paper,,etc..
walmart,,,relatively new in the grocery business,,,had sales of 155 billion
the next highest sales,,was kroger of 77 billion,,,,no one can match thier buying power,,so they are the cheapest on most items,,,just dont buy thier meat,,,,its injected (enhanced) with up to 18% salt solution, and thier produce leaves much to be desired.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,637,285 times
I refuse to shop at Wal-mart. Also read something about the quality of meat they have there. Grade D beef? no thanks.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
foma,,,you should take all the grocerystore flyers, look thru all of them, and just buy the sales,,pay close attention to the front page,,,most supermarkets are on what they call a hi-low pricing format,,, they'll have some "hot" features to draw customers thru the door,,on items they arent making much margin on,,,,,in hopes customers will pick up enough other items that arent on sale,,,to make there overall margins,

you'll save thousands a year,,just buying sale items,,and stocking up on them.
mainbrokerman - you are quite the savvy bargain shopper! Kudos!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
mainbrokerman - you are quite the savvy bargain shopper! Kudos!
foma,,i remember growing up,,,,things were tight and id say to myself,,when im older and make some money,,im going to go to the grocery store,,and buy all thier reeses pb cups,,hostess pies,,,and ice cream forever!! and boxes and boxes of cocoa puffs, and lucky charms,,

well, maybe i can now go into any supermarket and buy anything i want,,,,but i believe its a mindset,,,im not cheap, im frugal,,,,because im frugal,,if i want to buy my mother 100$ in plants, on mothers day,i will/can.
or go play golf, etc.
the worst two words in the english language when it comes to finances,,are "i want"
wants are never ever satisfied,,,human nature we all want more,
so,,,i ommitted those two words out of my vocabulary.
ive yet to think of a way to omit them from a females ,,,vocabulary,,think its impossible,,lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive