Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,210,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
DETROIT -- General Motors' deteriorating financial situation has caused the company to delay one of the most advanced engines that it has ever designed, a 4.5-liter diesel for light-duty trucks.

"We have to make tough decisions right now," said GM Powertrain spokeswoman Susan Garavaglia.

Truck enthusiasts were eagerly awaiting the engine, which would have started production next fall at GM's plant in Tonawanda, N.Y. The engine has unique cylinder heads that eliminate the intake and exhaust manifolds. Its lightweight block has advanced castings for the crankshaft-bearing journals and oil-circulation system.
GM had planned to install the engine in the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups. The result would have been a fuel-efficient truck priced for less than the heavy duty diesel-powered trucks available now.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...903109970/1181 (registration required)

A diesel that gets 28mpg, runs as smooth and quiet as a gasoline engine, and now they'll probably sell the patent and rights to a competitor.

End game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,732,790 times
look at the bright side - diesel costs almost 150% of regular fuel, so the cost savings per mpg isn't really there, and battery technology in the Volt will offer better value and greenness. Since GM needs to cut costs now, going with battery technology is the smart choice imo.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,394,526 times
Better value? Holy cow. They're talking about an MSRP of $35-40K for the Volt, and they'd probably be selling them at a substantial loss at that price. And how ironic that you cite the need to cut costs for developing the Volt. The single-minded pursuit of developing the Volt is a big part of how GM got to where it is today. They've been in a race to get the Volt to market before they ran out of cash. Unfortunately, "ran out of cash" won the race.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:07 AM

So, the diesel engine is only for cars that don't cost $35-$40k? Its development wouldn't be subsidized to get vehicle costs down? You know this how?

Fwiw, Toyota's Prius battery cost almost $8,000 to replace in 2001, but fell to $2,500 by 2005, and is closer to $1,500 today. Costs drop as production climbs.

Besides, I'm not talking about the Volt specifically, I'm talking about the battery technology GM is developing. Its common knowledge that battery hybrids are a better cost/value than diesels today since diesel prices are high, due to the new low-sulfur infrastructure costs. Even the German automakers that pushed hard for diesel for years are moving to battery hybrids today.

If you have to spend your R&D money in one place, battery hybrids are the better choice over diesel today. Nothing ironic about that.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,594,189 times
A diesel engine light duty truck would be a great investment for commercial applications like delivery or small moving vehicles.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,295,888 times
Two entirely different markets here ...

a "high efficiency" battery hybrid people mover

a "better efficiency" diesel powered utility vehicle.

It's a long way off to envision a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that will be able to haul my stock trailers or equipment to my fields ... powered by battery ... let alone my ag production equipment in the field.

I'd certainly welcome a diesel technology that uses fuel more efficiently than my 1964 era diesel field equipment.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:45 AM

5,642 posts, read 24,999,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
look at the bright side - diesel costs almost 150% of regular fuel, so the cost savings per mpg isn't really there, and battery technology in the Volt will offer better value and greenness. Since GM needs to cut costs now, going with battery technology is the smart choice imo.
A number of US refiners are in the process of making changes to increase diesel production. The projections are for a reduction in the price of diesel making it a better deal than gasoline in energy/price.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:47 PM

29,702 posts, read 14,796,531 times
Quote:
So, the diesel engine is only for cars that don't cost $35-$40k? Its development wouldn't be subsidized to get vehicle costs down? You know this how?

Fwiw, Toyota's Prius battery cost almost $8,000 to replace in 2001, but fell to $2,500 by 2005, and is closer to $1,500 today. Costs drop as production climbs.

Besides, I'm not talking about the Volt specifically, I'm talking about the battery technology GM is developing. Its common knowledge that battery hybrids are a better cost/value than diesels today since diesel prices are high, due to the new low-sulfur infrastructure costs. Even the German automakers that pushed hard for diesel for years are moving to battery hybrids today.

If you have to spend your R&D money in one place, battery hybrids are the better choice over diesel today. Nothing ironic about that.
They are jumping on the hybrid wagon because people think that's the "way to go" ... and it may be some day .. but it isn't now. Your automatically "green" if you drive a Prius but if you really wanted to be green you would be driving an old Mercedes turbodiesel or a VW TDI , running it on bio or waste oil and getting 50 mpg. Now what happen's to the battery in the Prius has to be replaced ? Does it go to the same place as those "green" light bulbs that have mercury in them ?

Driving a hybrid at this moment is a more of a statement (in my opinion) than anything.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:11 AM

They're jumping on the hybrid wagon because GM needs to improve its passenger cars - neglecting cars is part of what got GM into the spot its in today. Light trucks don't sell in volumes like GM's large trucks and passenger cars.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,284,351 times
Quote:
...Light trucks don't sell in volumes like GM's large trucks...
Huh?
I'll admit I haven't looked at the hard numbers to verify your claim but I'll go ahead and challenge it.Half of everyone I know own trucks they use for daily driving. I'm talking about F-150, Dodge Ram, Tundra and Silverado sized trucks. My instincts tell me that light trucks outsell large trucks....but I could be wrong I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive