Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 01:23 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, starting to research pick up trucks.
Planning on putting a lightweight fiberglass Moonlander camper on top.

https://www.radicaproducts.com/moonlander

First we need to start with the truck, but we've never owned one before.
We've been doing all our road trips in our Subaru Outback, but motel hopping gets old.
We were thinking of a van, but we like that trucks are (usually?) 4 wheel drive so we can adventure a bit more... although we're not heavily into the extreme off road/back country thing.

Not looking for a short bed, that would be too cramped for us with the camper, but probably 6 1/2 foot bed or maybe 8 foot? How do those two sizes compare for maneuverability etc.

Cabs... it will be mostly me and hubs, but do most come with a back seat?

Then I found out there's gas vs diesel... all new to me! Lol!

So... what's your favorite pick up truck? How do the different brands compare with reliability? Cost repairs, etc.

Any insights for this newby appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 01:27 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Your needs sounds a lot more in line with a van than a truck.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

We've been doing all our road trips in our Subaru Outback, but motel hopping gets old.
We were thinking of a van, but we like that trucks are (usually?) 4 wheel drive so we can adventure a bit more... although we're not heavily into the extreme off road/back country thing.

Not looking for a short bed, that would be too cramped for us with the camper, but probably 6 1/2 foot bed or maybe 8 foot? How do those two sizes compare for maneuverability etc.

So... what's your favorite pick up truck? How do the different brands compare with reliability? Cost repairs, etc.

I'd go with Ford, Chevy or Toyota for the 1/2 ton route. Dodge, Chevy or Ford for the 3/4 ton especially if you want diesel, but it doesn't sound like you need diesel.

How tall are you two? If I were sleeping in the bed with my wife I'd want an 8 foot bed.
How nice of a vehicle are you looking for? Trucks come from relatively bare work varieties to expensive luxury trims.

If the trucks sole purpose was to facilitate your camping trips and you're set on camping in the shell, I'd get a work truck trim with a short cab and eight foot bed.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:18 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
$7,000 starting, add a couple grand for options. I'm good. Get some mid/high rise off Facebook Marketplace for a grand. The extra space is nice for a truck camper although not completely necessary. It won't be as nice. It'll be $8,000 cheaper. I'd probably go with a Tacoma today. Tows enough, six foot bed, good aftermarket.

Old 04-15-2024, 02:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We had a 2007 Ford Ranger for 10 years, and only got the 2017 F150 due to buying a 25' travel trailer. Both have 6-1/2' bed which is sufficient, I can carry thin 8' lumber diagonally, or 4x8 plywood sitting on top of the tailgate. Long beds are rare and more expensive, harder to park. When we were just in our early 20s I had a Ford Courier pickup and a shell on the back, and we camped in it often. I installed carpet along the sides of the bed because they get really cold when you touch them at night.
The problem was having to move our supplies to the cab every night, but now almost all have either extended cab or 4 doors.
Eventually we went to a big tent, and now being old, we prefer the comforts of the trailer with a real queen bed, stove, oven refrigerator, toilet and shower/tub.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:26 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
If you went with an 8-foot bed and double cab, it would take 40 acres to turn that rig around.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:55 PM

12,408 posts, read 9,510,794 times
If you're sleeping in the truck bed, get a cap with screened windows you can open or covered vents, so you can ventilate the space. Otherwise condensation from the occupants exhaling moist air can condense on cold surfaces in there. Those Moonlanders look pretty cool. :-)

P.S. One other route you could consider would be towing a small teardrop camper behind an SUV - that's probably the route I will go when I retire. They're pricier than you'd think - figure on $20k-$25k for a decent quality one, decently fitted out. You can get some stripped down teardrops for half that and some uber rugged/techie ones for twice that.

Two trailers I like in that moderate price range:
https://www.teardropsnw.com/
https://intech.com/rv/models/flyer/pursue/

Also interesting
https://hikertrailers.com/
https://www.tcteardrops.com/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-15-2024 at 04:10 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 05:41 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

Some questions

1) How heavy is the camper?

2) How far and how hilly are the trips you are thinking about?

3) Just two of you, or are there kids and/or friends on these trips?

4) Is this truck just for out of town trips or will it have to go to the work every day and the grocery store?

Old 04-15-2024, 05:42 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you went with an 8-foot bed and double cab, it would take 40 acres to turn that rig around.

Not true. I got one and it only takes 20 acres to turn around.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:48 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Ford, Dodge, or Chevy, they all make some pretty good trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive