Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'd go with Ford, Chevy or Toyota for the 1/2 ton route. Dodge, Chevy or Ford for the 3/4 ton especially if you want diesel, but it doesn't sound like you need diesel.

How tall are you two? If I were sleeping in the bed with my wife I'd want an 8 foot bed.
How nice of a vehicle are you looking for? Trucks come from relatively bare work varieties to expensive luxury trims.

If the trucks sole purpose was to facilitate your camping trips and you're set on camping in the shell, I'd get a work truck trim with a short cab and eight foot bed.
Not too tall. The Moonlander sleeps east west because it's wider shell.

Also, we road trip and hop from place to place more than camp. If there's a set destination we'd treat ourselves to a B&B or something. We just get tired of pulling into a motel every night, have to gather our stuff etc. etc. Just need a place to sleep with room for a pee pot, lol!

Last edited by Podo944; 04-17-2024 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: add on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
$7,000 starting, add a couple grand for options. I'm good. Get some mid/high rise off Facebook Marketplace for a grand. The extra space is nice for a truck camper although not completely necessary. It won't be as nice. It'll be $8,000 cheaper. I'd probably go with a Tacoma today. Tows enough, six foot bed, good aftermarket.
I've heard Toyota is very reliable! The Moonlander is pretty lightweight, so should be ok.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:19 AM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
I like my 90 GMC 4X4. I bought it new. It's a short bed, so you wouldn't be interested in mine, but maybe have some ideas.

So, if it were me, and I was not going to use it for everyday driving, I would be looking for a older 3/4 ton pickup.
I camp alone, so the shell serves my purpose, but, again, that probably not what you want.

Here's a picture:

Old 04-17-2024, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you went with an 8-foot bed and double cab, it would take 40 acres to turn that rig around.
Lol! I would imagine so.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:34 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We were thinking van for the longest time. A few years ago we rented a Promaster 1500 for a week, rigged it up with the bare necessities and had a blast. It did pretty good too on some unpaved roads etc.

A year later we took our Subaru Outback out to the California desert to see the super bloom. There's a place in Borrega Springs called Fonts Point that a ranger suggested we check out and asked what kind of car we had. He said our Subaru would do just fine, and told us a sometimes regular cars and vans get stuck up there. So the question, "Will the vehicle get us up to Fonts Point!" became our litmus test.

We considered a truck camper for a minute, but those looked way too big, then noticed pop up truck campers. It was when I started looking for those that I came across the Moonlander.

You don't need a truck. An AWD van can handle Borrega Springs/Fonts Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLkQmUeyIvg

Old 04-17-2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If you're sleeping in the truck bed, get a cap with screened windows you can open or covered vents, so you can ventilate the space. Otherwise condensation from the occupants exhaling moist air can condense on cold surfaces in there. Those Moonlanders look pretty cool. :-)

P.S. One other route you could consider would be towing a small teardrop camper behind an SUV - that's probably the route I will go when I retire. They're pricier than you'd think - figure on $20k-$25k for a decent quality one, decently fitted out. You can get some stripped down teardrops for half that and some uber rugged/techie ones for twice that.

Two trailers I like in that moderate price range:
https://www.teardropsnw.com/
https://intech.com/rv/models/flyer/pursue/

Also interesting
https://hikertrailers.com/
https://www.tcteardrops.com/
Yes, ventilation is a must! The Moonlander has the option (which they HIGHLY recommend) of putting in a Maxxair fan and windows.

We thought about the travel trailer option, but it wouldn't work with the way we travel. We're "road trippers" rather than "campers". We're constantly on the move. Sometimes we'd still stay over in a Bed and Breakfast or hotel if we'd need a little luxury or if we're staying in a city for a spell.

For example when we were living in Vancouver, Wa. a couple of years ago, we drove out to Houston with our Subaru to visit relatives. We made several stops sightseeing and hiking on the way and did quick overnights in motels. With a basic set up we wouldn't need to do that, and if we needed a shower we could buy one at a Truck stop. We also love checking out little diners and such so water bottle and snacks mostly for us during the day. We'd probably bring our big battery for a few items like a small coffee pot or something, maybe a one burner propane thing to heat up some soup, but that about it.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Some questions

1) How heavy is the camper?

2) How far and how hilly are the trips you are thinking about?

3) Just two of you, or are there kids and/or friends on these trips?

4) Is this truck just for out of town trips or will it have to go to the work every day and the grocery store?
1) The camper shell itself is only about 250 lbs. they'd add a platform for a bed going east to west, a few windows and a Maxxair fan. The rest of the weight would be what we bring which wouldn't be extensive.

2) Our litmus test is Fonts Point in the California desert. When we went out there for the Super Bloom a ranger suggested we check it out for fabulous views and said our Subaru Outback would work great, which it did! He said vehicles without AWD or 4WD sometimes get in trouble.

3) Just me and hubs. Kids are grown.

4) Hubs works from home and we have our Baru for daily. It's our only car at the moment. For the past 2 years we've been living in a semi rural area 10 miles from from shopping so we'd probably use it for Costco runs, take it up to the lake for the afternoon etc.
It's also a fire zone area so if we need to evacuate, we can pack a lot in there including our 4 cats!

Last edited by Podo944; 04-17-2024 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: add on

Old 04-17-2024, 10:47 AM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you went with an 8-foot bed and double cab, it would take 40 acres to turn that rig around.
I parked beside one of those yesterday. It was about twice the length of my car. It stuck out of the parking space several feet. I'm surprised they're even legal. And by the looks of it, it wasn't used as a truck - just somebody's toy.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Here is where the domestics rule. Yes, I know some are built in Mexico or Canada. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge.

Don't go shorter then 6 1/2' bed. It is actually what is called (at least Ford) the standard bed as 6 1/2 has been the standard short bed for years.

Though I like Dodge (RAM now) their short bed is 6'4" and yes, that couple of inches can make a difference.

It sounds like an 8ft bed would be a bit more comfortable for sleeping in but that extra length added to a full crew cab will make parking in some areas a tad bit difficult (hell, it would be a pain in the ass. Now if you were looking at what I thought you were talking about with a camper, 8ft would be the only way to go and a 3/4 or 1 ton as well.

As far as cabs, I would definitely suggest a crew, quad, extra, super or whatever. Just be aware that if you are looking for a full crew cab, a 6 1/2ft bed with it is the unicorn. Most are with the 5, 5 1/2 ft bed which is great for many but just too short. Those are the modern day Crown Vics, Caprises, Town Cars, Etc...And I don't know if any of those full crew cabs are even offered with an 8ft bed on a half ton.

But, if its just the two of you a Ram "quad" cab, Ford super cab (suicide doors) or Chevy/GMC's extended/double cabs should come with the 8ft bed on the 1/2 tons. They're not quite as roomy as a full crew but still have plenty of lockable storage inside the cab and the ability to recline. And the 8ft bed with that cab choice shouldn't be much more difficult to maneuver then the "Unicorn" that I like. F150 SuperCrew with a 6 1/2 ft bed. When I had mine, it was long, but I never had an issue parking it. BTW, I feel the Fords are among the tightest in turning ability's.

I loved the size of the crew cabs interior when I had the SuperCrew but I've also had 3 Dodge Ram Quad Cabs and they have plenty of room. I think the Super Cab F150 (don't know about Chevy/GMC) has the smallest of the cabs and Dodge Quad is the largest of the non crew cabs. Probably why the Ram has a shorter bed. I think those trucks try to keep it around an "old school" regular cab/long bed.

And if looking for a standard short bed crew/super crew (not these super short 5 something beds) make sure yourself that the truck Mr. salesman is trying to push on you by saying its the one you want really is what he is calling it. Dealers may have only 1 of the "unicorn trucks on the lot but will have plenty with the 5.5ft beds.

If looking for the middle cab configurations, I believe they only come with the 6'4 (RAM), 6'6 or 8ft bed.

If you opt for a 3/4 or 1 ton, no worry's on bed length as they only come with the 2 standard size beds.
Great info to consider thanks!
The topper we're looking at will have a 6 foot platform for a full size mattress that goes east to west. Plenty of room for us!

Old 04-17-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I like my 90 GMC 4X4. I bought it new. It's a short bed, so you wouldn't be interested in mine, but maybe have some ideas.

So, if it were me, and I was not going to use it for everyday driving, I would be looking for a older 3/4 ton pickup.
I camp alone, so the shell serves my purpose, but, again, that probably not what you want.

Here's a picture:
Did you check out the link I put in the original post?
Here it is...

https://www.radicaproducts.com/moonlander
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive