Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 04:12 PM

421 posts, read 422,692 times

Advertisements

I drive a Honda Civic. I lost the wheel lock lug nut key that I received when I bought the car new 7 years ago. I plan to trade in the car for a new car of a different brand in a few months. The current situation is that each front wheel has 4 regular lug nuts and 1 wheel lock nut, and the rear wheels only have 4 regular lug nuts. Which of the following will help the most in increasing the resale value of the car?

(1) It costs money to buy a new set of lug nuts, so I'll just buy regular lug nuts for the rear wheels.
(2) Remove the 2 wheel lock lug nuts from the front wheels and replace them with regular lug nuts.
(3) Purchase a wheel lock lug nut set to make it the same as when you bought the new car.
(4) Either way, it doesn't have a big impact on the resale value of the car, so it's okay to do any of the above three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 05:53 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
So the tires have not been replaced or rotated in 7 years??

A new owner will be mighty annoyed if he has a flat and he can't change the tire.

By the way, I use five-sided nuts on my rug so it won't be easily stolen.

Old 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
So the tires have not been replaced or rotated in 7 years??

A new owner will be mighty annoyed if he has a flat and he can't change the tire.

By the way, I use five-sided nuts on my rug so it won't be easily stolen.

I've had tire rotations done before and always had the lug nut key in the car, but it seems like I may have lost it when I moved last year. What would be the best course of action for me right now? Honestly, I'm not too worried about the tire-thief; it's not a big concern for me.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:17 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Are you saying you have five-lug wheels on the front and four-lug wheels on the back?

Just take those silly wheel-lock things off and put new lug nuts all round.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:22 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
I just watched a youtube video last week about how easy it is to get those locking lug nuts off without the key.
I would remove all the locking lug nuts and replace with regular lug nuts.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:23 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Most folks in a private sale will expect a car to have proper amount of lug-nuts and a key for any wheel locks that are on the vehicle. So not having that will be a ding in value.

With regards to trading in the vehicle, I would be surprised if they look that close as they are going to offer you a low-ball offer anyway. Just trade it in and be done with it.

I'm curious about the rear wheels having only 4 lug nuts. Is this a 4-lug civic which as had the front only converted to 5-lug?

Old 03-25-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Most folks in a private sale will expect a car to have proper amount of lug-nuts and a key for any wheel locks that are on the vehicle. So not having that will be a ding in value.

With regards to trading in the vehicle, I would be surprised if they look that close as they are going to offer you a low-ball offer anyway. Just trade it in and be done with it.

I'm curious about the rear wheels having only 4 lug nuts. Is this a 4-lug civic which as had the front only converted to 5-lug?
Rear wheels: 4 lug nuts are currently attached, with one lug nut lock missing due to breakage when removing it.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I just watched a youtube video last week about how easy it is to get those locking lug nuts off without the key.
I would remove all the locking lug nuts and replace with regular lug nuts.
I think so...thx

Old 03-25-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Are you saying you have five-lug wheels on the front and four-lug wheels on the back?

Just take those silly wheel-lock things off and put new lug nuts all round.
OK, thx, I will do that...

Old 03-25-2024, 11:18 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
If you're doing a private sell make the replacement. If you're going to do a trade-in, it wont matter.

Obviously, you will make significantly more with a private sale vs. trade in.

Fairly certain that whoever put wheel locks on your car, did it afterwards. Just take off the wheel locks off and replace with lug nuts. I'm sure the cost for 4 lug nuts is less than $5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive