Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 12:10 PM

109 posts, read 156,899 times

Advertisements

hello everyone.

I recently inherited a car from my grandfather, a '97 Honda. I was goofing around with the car the other day cause I was bored. I lifted the car up on the jack, and began working on removing the lug nuts. Since it's a front-wheel drive, the wheel I started on was locked in place so it didn't rotate on me when I tried to get the nuts off. However, considering that my grandfather rarely drove the car, and the tires, although in good shape, had been on there for years, I found that the lug nuts were practically cemented in place from being on too long. I tried everything. I pulled out a rubber mallet and I was hitting the wrench, and yes I'm pretty sure I was turning it the right way. My dad tried to break them loose, but he couldn't get it either.

My dad said we might be able to get them broken loose if we buy a cross tee and use that, but considering that they were really stuck, I'm not sure if it'll be effective. I don't own any sort of power tools that could be used for this.

I'd really like to be able to get the nuts off so I can take the hubcaps off. Also, I'm worried that if I get a flat on the road, I won't be able to get the nuts off to change my own tire. What would you guys recommend I use to get the nuts loose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Did you try standing on the end of the lug wrench with the car on the ground? Just get them moving, then jack it up and try the rest of the way.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
First thing you should do is go buy some liquid wrench at the auto parts store.
Spray it on the lug nuts, wait about ten minutes, then spray again.
Now, if you have one of those 4 way lug nut wrenches, find yourself a 2 foot piece of metal pipe (about 1 1/2" inches wide) so it will slip over the wrench, and that will give you enough leverage to break the nuts loose.
Without the piece of pipe to give you leverage, you will be there all day trying to free them.
Bob.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
First thing you should do is go buy some liquid wrench at the auto parts store.
Spray it on the lug nuts, wait about ten minutes, then spray again.
Now, if you have one of those 4 way lug nut wrenches, find yourself a 2 foot piece of metal pipe (about 1 1/2" inches wide) so it will slip over the wrench, and that will give you enough leverage to break the nuts loose.
Without the piece of pipe to give you leverage, you will be there all day trying to free them.
Bob.
Yes, liquid wrench and wait, just the pipe and they may break off.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
Yep, you need some mechanical advantage. Geometry and physics ftw.

I have a 3 ton jack with a thick pipe that fits over lug wrenches, etc. Ive had to have someone hold while I stand on it. Im 6'6" and 230lbs. I think harbor freight is selling their clicker type torque wrench for like $9.99 for christmas. Buy one. That way you wont overtighten when putting them back on. Some yahoo at the tire store probably just zapped them back on good and overtight with an impact last time they were off.

Are you sure you cant get the hubcaps off first? The only ones Ive ever had come off first.

+1 on liquid wrench, pb blaster, etc

Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,034 times
Go to the local Midas for a free brake inspection. They'll take the wheels off to inspect your brakes = free use of an air impact driver.

The mistake most people make is trying to loosen lugnuts with their arms. It's a job for your legs.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I work on antique tractors so I know stuck lug nuts. Some of mine are 1 1/16" size.

I either use an air impact wrench or I do as CalGuy suggest, slip a length of pipe on the end of your lug wrench to give your more leverage. I've also found that PB Blaster seems to work better for me than Wd-40 for penetrating oil.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
PB Blaster

Heat + wax (candle)

6 pt impact socket (a must)

But... 'Brake Check' is best idea!!!

I will have to try that one with my next stubborn tractor!

My stuff is usually stuck from the 1960's (really stuck)

Old 12-20-2013, 12:50 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Go to the local Midas for a free brake inspection. They'll take the wheels off to inspect your brakes = free use of an air impact driver.
I was about to say to go get a tire rotation but this is a better idea.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
All of the above.....

And if that doesn't work, add heat from a propane torch. Carefully. Gradually. Don't over heat the whole thing such that it warps...try to heat just the lug nut so it expands enough to break free with the 'pipe on the wrench' apparatus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive