Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 03:07 PM

94 posts, read 130,114 times

Advertisements

Ive been wanting to trade in my honda civic to get a 4 door jeep wrangler. I want a car that can handle any weather, snow, not get a flat if you drive over some branches out in nature. When I had my Hyundai I got so many flats. Those tires could not handle anything. And I slid all over in the snow. I want the kind of car that can plow right over that snow, without getting a truck. I want a 4 door, big strong tires, but NOT a truck or mini van. A jeep seemed perfect for me. But everyone Ive talked to says Jeep has a lot of problems. That they break down a lot. Even when they are still new. Is Jeep still the best way to go? Or is there a good alternative? Something not crazy expensive that wont break down all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 03:12 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I agree that Jeeps are not that reliable. Check out Subaru. They're pretty great in snow.

You know, you can change the tires on anything.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Subaru. Forget Jeep.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:19 PM

1,062 posts, read 979,668 times
Buy a current generation Jeep Grand Cherokee. They're excellent vehicles

Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Snow traction ... It's not the car, it is the tires. A front wheel car on dedicated snow tires will outperform an all-wheel drive on All Season (no season) tires. (on the road ... obviously acidic with no tires isn't going to do well on Forest roads with two feet of snow)

Jeep Wranglers are great for a second or third car ... maybe a primary car if you never go anywhere other than four or five miles to work or into the Woods. but they're horrible road trip cars and I wouldn't want one as my only ride.

Where do you live?

Old 05-18-2017, 03:51 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Tacoma.

And yeah most factory tires are junk on most vehicles and you should look at replacing them asap if you do any sort of spirited/enthusiast, winter, or off road driving.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Any AWD car with decent tires will do what you want. Stay away from Jeep...the reliability is dismal. Subarus are particularly good winter vehicles. An Outback or Forester gives you extra capacity without being a big SUV. I've owned several and never had any complaints.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM

345 posts, read 249,986 times
I'm no wuss when it comes to cars, but Jeep Wranglers can be downright scary. Not as bad as a VW bus, but pretty bad.

I'd simply buy a SWB 4WD reg cab Silverado if you put a gun to my head to buy a new car, but I'll honor the 'no trucks' deal.

Maybe go look at a Honda CRV or whatever the Toyota thing is called.

side note: A know several guys that make a semi-living working at home out of quasi-professional car shops, smarter than your average bear, and to a man they all absolutely hate Subarus. Lots of problems, hard to fix.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I own a Jeep Wrangler. I bought it to go off roading. But it makes for a terrible winter vehicle. It's also a terrible daily driver. It gets poor mileage. And FCA vehicles rank at the bottom in terms of reliability. Get a Subaru or RAV 4 or CRV. But definitely stay away from Jeep.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I used to have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2-door. It was a great vehicle, on and off-road. I made several trips to Moab with it.
In fact, I drove it several thousand miles at freeway speeds on trips that took 2 or 3 days. I would turn on the heater or the air conditioning, load the 6-disc CD player up, set the cruise control, and happily roll down the freeway at 70 MPH, getting 18 MPG.
In the winter I seldom had to put it in four wheel drive, because I had traction lug M&S tires on it.
The Jeep was pretty much trouble free for the few years I had it. About the only problem I had was with the steering damper. I had to replace that thing every year or so.

I have also owned AMC Eagles and Subaru Outbacks. Of the two, the Eagles were the best winter vehicles, IMO. In both brands I had both the wagons and the sedans.
All wheel drive is better in the winter than four wheel drive, IMO.
However, both require real traction tread winter tires!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive