Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 08:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times

Advertisements

The finer points and comparisons of new technology being explained will impress any engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 07:37 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Is that a Moon Rover?

Old 12-01-2023, 07:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 1,600,968 times
It's really the first tank made for the public, but they have to call it a truck as consumers don't want to buy a tank. The design of the pickup hasn't changed for 70 years because it works.

This review didn't do one thing most handymen use a truck for, hauling and pulling.

Old 12-02-2023, 07:44 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,227 times
It's not a pickup, and it's purpose in life isn't for it to do truck-like things. It's a supercar. A status symbol. A big middle-finger to everyone else on the road beside it.

Kind of like the original Hummer that was popular with movie stars and rappers and NBA players and others who had way too much money back in the day. The word "tank" could certainly apply to those vehicles as well I would think.

I'm sure they will have no problem selling the small number of these things that they are eventually able to produce.

I do have to say that the technology inside is very impressive. Especially the 100% steer-by-wire system, which no other auto manufacturer has ever attempted to put into production. This vehicle will be the first without a real mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels.

Old 12-02-2023, 08:39 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default Fast changes ahead hold on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
It's really the first tank made for the public, but they have to call it a truck as consumers don't want to buy a tank. The design of the pickup hasn't changed for 70 years because it works.

This review didn't do one thing most handymen use a truck for, hauling and pulling.

Don't under estimate Tesla as a company or any of the other manufactures for that matter. This vehicle is about security, longevity, and the best of new technology's as it is created worldwide at breakneck speed. Having been a Owner operator steel hauler, Tank crew member, Stationary engineer and a Computer tech, this vehicle is a great representation of the last century's fight between steam powered vehicles, battery powered vehicles, diesel powered vehicles, gasoline powered vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles.

As time past they all found a place in the industrial market place and consumer market place, some at lesser numbers or for less time then others, but none the less they all did physical work that horses and man could not compete with economically.

On this thread you just watched a video demonstrating all wheel electric computerized steering, triple redundancy in critical system parts, new metal technology created body panels that take sledge hammer blows and show no sign of injury.

And there is again more, how about these being one of the safest vehicles on the planet to be a passenger in. Then we get to see this vehicle out preform a go cart on a go cart track etc, etc,.

Keep watching, the 70 year old lack of change observation isn't quite accurate technology just changed at a much slower pace. If you remember the toys of the 1980's called the transformers it's not too unimaginable to see the back of that pickup extending and/or an aerodynamic camper/utility trailer to be an optional part of this vehicle. Start thinking transformer style and computers will accelerate the process.

To be fair all of this is built on the shoulders of previous great engineers who invented and improved everything around us.
The big change in timeline on new and improved products is all the computer assistance we have in all our daily lives.

As for truck pulling heavy loads over long distances is concerned the battery and voltage innovations are bringing efficiency, and range increases that starting to look limitless.

Hold on, don't blink, competition is a good thing and this world is in for a great ride in the future.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:03 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
It's not a pickup, and it's purpose in life isn't for it to do truck-like things. It's a supercar. A status symbol. A big middle-finger to everyone else on the road beside it.

Kind of like the original Hummer that was popular with movie stars and rappers and NBA players and others who had way too much money back in the day. The word "tank" could certainly apply to those vehicles as well I would think.

I'm sure they will have no problem selling the small number of these things that they are eventually able to produce.

I do have to say that the technology inside is very impressive. Especially the 100% steer-by-wire system, which no other auto manufacturer has ever attempted to put into production. This vehicle will be the first without a real mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels.
I think the 48V low voltage system is also a great achievement. As the video noted, that's something that traditional automakers have been talking about doing for decades, but a lack of decisiveness, an aversion to risk, a reliance on many outsourcing partners that they couldn't get on board, etc, etc - they got nowhere in some 30+ years and were still just talking about it. Tesla just said "this is the right way to do things, and we'll just do it all ourselves if we need to" - and in short order, it was done. They really embarrassed traditional automakers with this. I believe the industry will now follow Tesla to implement 48V systems, although it will probably still take years due to their layers and layers of management and committee decision-making. But the forces of inertia won't be able to say it's too risky or it can't be done, anymore. Traditional automakers are just so lame when trying to compete in the EV space - where innovation is important.

P.S. I am by no means predicting huge market success for the Cybertruck - it's kind of a polarizing vehicle. That said, GM made their bold statement with the Hummer electric pickup truck, which sold 854 units in 2022, and are on a slow pace again this year. I am pretty confident that Tesla's Cybertruck sales will handily outpace those of GM's Hummer next year - the bar is just very low to outdo them.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-02-2023 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-02-2023, 03:37 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
I need to like the looks of a car I'm considering and I don't like it's looks.
I wonder about no mechanical connection from the steering wheel to the front wheels, I'd be nervous about that.

Old 12-02-2023, 09:00 PM

3,645 posts, read 1,600,968 times
Another thing. I once owned a Chrysler sedan (late 90's I think) that had a more slanted windshield, unlike other sedans. The extra slant looks very cool but it creates extra glare to the driver. The slant degree was exact to cause the most glare. It was as if the designers never took it on a real road test drive. I hated it and was glad to get rid of it. The windshield slant in the pics of the cybertruck look similar to the sedan I had.

Only way to know if a windshield slant causes extra glare is a test drive on a sunny day.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:15 PM

10,845 posts, read 4,529,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
The finer points and comparisons of new technology being explained will impress any engineer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WDq0V5oBg

if THAT is the future, I weep. Its childishly ugly. As I have said before, its the duplo version of a truck.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:29 PM

37,136 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think the 48V low voltage system is also a great achievement. As the video noted, that's something that traditional automakers have been talking about doing for decades, but a lack of decisiveness, an aversion to risk, a reliance on many outsourcing partners that they couldn't get on board, etc, etc - they got nowhere in some 30+ years and were still just talking about it. Tesla just said "this is the right way to do things, and we'll just do it all ourselves if we need to" - and in short order, it was done. They really embarrassed traditional automakers with this. I believe the industry will now follow Tesla to implement 48V systems, although it will probably still take years due to their layers and layers of management and committee decision-making. But the forces of inertia won't be able to say it's too risky or it can't be done, anymore. Traditional automakers are just so lame when trying to compete in the EV space - where innovation is important.

P.S. I am by no means predicting huge market success for the Cybertruck - it's kind of a polarizing vehicle. That said, GM made their bold statement with the Hummer electric pickup truck, which sold 854 units in 2022, and are on a slow pace again this year. I am pretty confident that Tesla's Cybertruck sales will handily outpace those of GM's Hummer next year - the bar is just very low to outdo them.
Yea, the switch to 48V is an interesting move to make on this vehicle since it's already taking so many other risks. From one point of view it makes sense since they're going for something radically different, but from another it's a move that didn't have to be made so it's a bit odd to pile on even more radical features on this vehicle. I don't personally like the Cybertruck or trucks in general even a radically different one, but I do think it has interesting previews of features and capabilities that will likely make its way through the rest of the Tesla lineup and potentially greatly improve them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive