Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 03:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 2,943,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That makes no sense. Why would anybody who needs a truck buy it because it can accelerate that fast? Instead of a truck, he or she can buy a fast Electric sedan, or a high performance and expensive ICE automobile. Most pickup buyers want or need the utility features in a truck, regardless if it is electric or not. A truck with an open bed that has plenty of room for cargo, tools, or just putting a topper over it, plus towing, and so on are always the main attraction relating to trucks. The Tesla truck above looks more like shiny aluminum sardine can with a glass top, than a truck.
I live in NY, most pick owners never use it for what its made for. THey are large vehicles to carry large people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 03:51 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I live in NY, most pick owners never use it for what its made for. THey are large vehicles to carry large people.
Things have changed, I guess. When living in the rural areas in upstate NY and Burlington (VT) trucks were used for work and family transportation, plus all had a bed. The only difference I can see today is that trucks have extended or double cabs, and smaller cargo areas behind the cab (shorter beds), but the beds are still there. I understand that people living in the city buy trucks, but I am willing to bet that most won't leave their trucks with an open bed parked on the street, but maybe they do? Maybe that's why people living in the city will rush to buy the Tesla truck that doesn't look like a pickup truck with an open bed? An open bed on the street is much like a dumpster waiting to be filled with trash

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-03-2023 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-03-2023, 03:51 PM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default Rock chip in the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Price to replace that windshield when a rock chip turns into a Spider web crack?

Better get a shady parking spot w/ the size & slant of that windshield.

Rock chip in the window. Your right that windshield has to be pricey. I'll bet they figured out some technology to cover chips.

But the Florida car heat will be interesting as well. I have posted dashboard temperatures of 150 f plus on city data in my car here in Florida. But again with the car building group being Texas, and California I wound think cabin temperature in Florida has also been considered.

I guess we'll see.

Old 12-03-2023, 03:54 PM

Default Rock chip in the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Price to replace that windshield when a rock chip turns into a Spider web crack?

Better get a shady parking spot w/ the size & slant of that windshield.

Rock chip in the window. Your right that windshield has to be pricey. I'll bet they figured out some technology to cover chips.

But the Florida car heat will be interesting as well. I have posted dashboard temperatures of 150 f plus on city data in my car here in Florida. But again with the car building group being Texas, and California I would think cabin temperature in Florida has also been considered.

I guess we'll see.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Hold on. did the Gwagon craze not explain things to you? G63 was going over sticker selling for 200 plus.

Vehicle that was designed to be a farm tractor in 70s.

Tesla trucks will be everywhere. Because 0-60 in 2.6 seconds in a pickup is all that matters.
But if that's the case, trucks like the original F-150 Lightning and the Chevy 454 SS would have sold like hotcakes.

I see truck buyers doing things that actually make them slower and handle even worse, like lift kits with huge mud tires.

Old 12-03-2023, 04:38 PM

The following links to an article that gives more details. The Tesla truck has a composite (hard plastic) bed that is covered to make it more aerodynamic, but it seems that this bed is not very deep. To me the thing still looks like a shiny and expensive sardine can. The spare tire in the Hummer pickup truck's bed takes at lot of room, too:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ruck-revealed/

Old 12-04-2023, 05:08 AM

Default Inflation has also played a big part in the Cyber Trucks evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Don't under estimate Tesla as a company or any of the other manufactures for that matter. This vehicle is about security, longevity, and the best of new technology's as it is created worldwide at breakneck speed. Having been a Owner operator steel hauler, Tank crew member, Stationary engineer and a Computer tech, this vehicle is a great representation of the last century's fight between steam powered vehicles, battery powered vehicles, diesel powered vehicles, gasoline powered vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles.

As time past they all found a place in the industrial market place and consumer market place, some at lesser numbers or for less time then others, but none the less they all did physical work that horses and man could not compete with economically.

On this thread you just watched a video demonstrating all wheel electric computerized steering, triple redundancy in critical system parts, new metal technology created body panels that take sledge hammer blows and show no sign of injury.

And there is again more, how about these being one of the safest vehicles on the planet to be a passenger in. Then we get to see this vehicle out preform a go cart on a go cart track etc, etc,.

Keep watching, the 70 year old lack of change observation isn't quite accurate technology just changed at a much slower pace. If you remember the toys of the 1980's called the transformers it's not too unimaginable to see the back of that pickup extending and/or an aerodynamic camper/utility trailer to be an optional part of this vehicle. Start thinking transformer style and computers will accelerate the process.

To be fair all of this is built on the shoulders of previous great engineers who invented and improved everything around us.
The big change in timeline on new and improved products is all the computer assistance we have in all our daily lives.

As for truck pulling heavy loads over long distances is concerned the battery and voltage innovations are bringing efficiency, and range increases that starting to look limitless.

Hold on, don't blink, competition is a good thing and this world is in for a great ride in the future.

Most people will never ride in a Cyber truck but as time goes on some of the innovations of the Cyber truck will reach the consumers in the real world.

One thing for sure the car market competition are taking the Tesla car and or battery company, a lot more seriously than they did yesterday.

Here's more information on the changes that the Cyber truck has gone thru from original media release in 2019 to the present.

https://www.theverge.com/23984025/te...e-2019-vs-2023

Old 12-04-2023, 05:24 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The following links to an article that gives more details. The Tesla truck has a composite (hard plastic) bed that is covered to make it more aerodynamic, but it seems that this bed is not very deep. To me the thing still looks like a shiny and expensive sardine can. The spare tire in the Hummer pickup truck's bed takes at lot of room, too:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...ruck-revealed/
"Composite" usually refers to a fiber reinforced polymeric resin material - fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber cloths are common, depending on the application.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:49 AM

5,816 posts, read 2,943,117 times
First drive by wire steering wheel. I would not be surprised if in time, police will have power to safely pull you over with no drama.
Not sure how many manufacturers will jump on this system, but it has been used in aviation for decades now.

Old 12-04-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"Composite" usually refers to a fiber reinforced polymeric resin material - fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber cloths are common, depending on the application.
Yes, yes, a composite material could also be a reinforced plastic such as fiber-reinforced polymer or fiberglass. I don't know the specific ingredients used in the Tesla truck's bed, and assumed that it was a reinforced plastic. These materials are widely used, even in firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive