Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 04:51 AM

19,060 posts, read 13,992,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Build your own.

Here are a few examples, don't mind the price, as these are not DIY
https://hiconsumption.com/motors/bes...r-conversions/

kits (one of many)
https://electricgt.com/turn-any-clas...onversion-kit/

Neighbor guy has swapped / made EV kits from (3) wrecked Teslas

Takes about 6 months of free time, or about 100 hrs of concentrated effort.

My favorite of the (12) we made in 1976 was the Red MGB-GT (Hatchback). ~1968 IIRC.
One day. Either a Miata or a 3000GT.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 05:23 AM

17,633 posts, read 17,723,504 times
I miss several types of cars that have become rare today, not one particular model. The small affordable sports coupe that was efficient with decent handling in base form and a fun sporty drive in optional form with plenty of aftermarket go fast bolt on. I miss the compact 2 door trucks that had seats and ride height of a modern compact crossover. I miss full size 2 door trucks with a step-side bed also with the lower height seats and ride height. Shouldn’t need a ladder or a step extension just to get in. I miss station wagons/estates. They use to come in all different sizes. Even some subcompact cars had a wagon and all the way up to body on frame large family sedans had a wagon. Many had the advantage of having true fold flat rear seats for real cargo carrying compared to todays crossovers and SUVs with their seats that don’t fold flat with the cargo floor.

One thing I miss that will never return is the engine bay of a 60s or 70s rear wheel drive vehicle with an inline 6 and no aerodynamic underbody panels. So much room to do whatever needed to be done.

Old 10-27-2023, 05:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,873,351 times
Jensen Interceptor.

Packard.

Mitsubishi Spyder vr4

2nd gen RX7.

The land yachts. Lincoln, Pontiac Catalina, Caddy, etc

Old 10-27-2023, 05:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,662,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Toyota's FJ Cruiser. I still see several being driven around town and I have to stop and stare.
Used ones with high miles still fetch a pretty good penny too. They're basically a Tacoma underneath.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:26 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Obviously, the large, roomy interiors of the 1950's.

Bench seats, no consoles. And windows instead of portholes.

I'm particularly fond of 1948-53 vintage sedans, as comfortable and efficient people movers. (I don't need fins and wraparound dashs)

My 1951 GMC pickup is a good example. Functional and stout, 72 years later. (And very dependable). It's never been to the repair shop. Never required a rescue or repair tow.

Simplicity... No plastics or electronics required. (Or desired)

I've always been a fan of the GM 'Torpedo Back' sedans of that era.

Personally, I'd love to see a modernized Corvair designed/built around the idea of creating a 4 seat Miata convertible, say something around 220HP in a 2500 lb car.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Wish they would bring back the Lincoln Mark series.

Mark IX on the Ford S650 platform. Offer a 5.0 Coyote or 3.0L TT longitudinally mounted. Give it the DCT from the GT500 and offer plenty of tech. Hell, offer it in convertible form as well.

You can offer a hybrid or pure EV version as well, but i'll take mine with the rumble of the 5.0.

Starting with the MK. II I hope?

Old 10-27-2023, 08:36 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,330,956 times
While it's fun to dream, no one is going to be bringing back old cars as new ones. Not going to happen. None of the old designs will pass modern safety and lighting standards. Those thin roof pillars that made older cars so light and airy? Not going to meet rollover and crush standards.

If you want an old car, buy an old car. There are plenty out there. Manufacturers aren't going to make one for you. That's why they do retro inspired designs, but can't do actual new old cars.

As for the Chevelle example brought up earlier, of course it looked wrong. It would have looked just as wrong to build it off a '69 or '70-1/2 Camaro, as the proportions on those were wrong, too. But trying to build it off something with modern safety structure (like thick A-C pillars and higher hard points for the beltline) will necessarily make it disproportional.

Old 10-27-2023, 08:56 AM

5,523 posts, read 8,782,545 times
One day, God willing, I’m buying a fully reconditioned.and artfully detailed classic Checker — with leather seats. Yeah, I was a New York taxi driver in my college days, so they hold a special place in my heart, especially now that I wouldn’t have to drive one ten hours a day to pay the rent! And no, I don’t want a yellow one. I know that Checkers are out there and aren’t exorbitant or especially rare. So maybe one day…

Old 10-27-2023, 09:15 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,550,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
While it's fun to dream, no one is going to be bringing back old cars as new ones. Not going to happen. None of the old designs will pass modern safety and lighting standards. Those thin roof pillars that made older cars so light and airy? Not going to meet rollover and crush standards.
For some reasons folks don't seem to get this. I see it all the time on various car forums. They should bring back the <insert outdated chassis here>. Well then can't because it wouldn't pass todays standards.

Old 10-27-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post

If you want an old car, buy an old car. There are plenty out there. Manufacturers aren't going to make one for you. That's why they do retro inspired designs, but can't do actual new old cars.

As for the Chevelle example brought up earlier, of course it looked wrong. It would have looked just as wrong to build it off a '69 or '70-1/2 Camaro, as the proportions on those were wrong, too. But trying to build it off something with modern safety structure (like thick A-C pillars and higher hard points for the beltline) will necessarily make it disproportional.

I've never really kept up with the standards so I'm curious: What of convertibles these days? Any requirements for things like the pop-up roll bars on Mercedes SLs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive