Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 05:33 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,546,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
One of my last big goals in life is to hit all 50 states by 50, with a trip to Hawaii for my 50th birthday.

I’m down to 12, with 3 good road trips and one family visit to Oregon, I’ll be set for the Hawaii capstone. I have 5 years to do it.

Next summer I’ll most likely knock out Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. I’ve been to Texas and Oklahoma but only airports so I don’t count them. Hotel stops for that one since I’ll be with my daughter.

The ambitious trip is planned for 2025: take my dog and drive up through Michigan, across Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota to Deadwood. Then back through North Dakota, possibly swinging west across Wyoming to see Utah and New Mexico before heading home. Again, I’ve been to airports in New Mexico, Wisconsin, and Michigan, but I don’t count that.

For this one, the plan is to mostly sleep in my car with a few shower stops mixed in.

If I can complete that plan, Oregon will be the last state standing in my way of that Hawaii trip.
In case you take the Tesla:
https://www.tesmat.com/products/fitt...-comforter-set
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 06:55 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
I sleep in my Cayenne each time we go to our camp spot. Switched from a tent to it and will never go back to a tent. I do add plywood board to make it flat. It was down-pouring few years ago and was dry as can be inside Whenever I do my next drive out west trip I’ll do hotels and car camp, it’s free to camp in any national forest, just not on a trail or 10 ft from campground. I follow tons of people on YouTube who 4x4 and camp along the way in the western mtns.

Old 09-17-2023, 07:10 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
I've had a few camping trips that got dicey, where I ended up sleeping in a vehicle, not by choice.

Once I had just bedded down in a tent, had a flashlight on, and saw the biggest fricken spider I've ever seen in my life walking up my sleeping bag. It looked wicked. I was out of there instantly, dragging my sleeping bag with me. It was pitch black out, and peering back into the tent and all around with the flashlight that spider was nowhere to be seen. Was it in? Was it out? I wimped out and spent a cramped, cold night sleeping in the reclined driver's seat of a small car instead.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:28 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
I’m on the fence. My jetski recently died so I am considering turning the trailer into a tiny camper to tow along.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-18-2023, 07:08 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I've had a few camping trips that got dicey, where I ended up sleeping in a vehicle, not by choice.

Once I had just bedded down in a tent, had a flashlight on, and saw the biggest fricken spider I've ever seen in my life walking up my sleeping bag. It looked wicked. I was out of there instantly, dragging my sleeping bag with me. It was pitch black out, and peering back into the tent and all around with the flashlight that spider was nowhere to be seen. Was it in? Was it out? I wimped out and spent a cramped, cold night sleeping in the reclined driver's seat of a small car instead.
Lol...

Old 09-18-2023, 08:42 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Often. I call it "working for the bomber command" because for what I am doing, I give it my all but once away, tired, pooped, it often ends up I need a location to drop down to for some rest.

I have my LZs figured out, some of them even calculated to the mile from the last land mark for when I have to find them in the dark.

I do sleep in alert position, seat in Apollo couch style but feet free, keys in the ignition, in case I need to go for an immediate take off.

Further, along the interstate, the rest stops are fewer.......but they are often DPS staging areas.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:45 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
There's a whole Youtube genre dedicated to road trip camping in your vehicle. Some folks have some pretty elaborate vehicle setups. Kinda entertaining to watch.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:15 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Trying to sleep in a sedan is a miserable prospect unless you can lay in the back seat with your legs straight. I'd never intentionally do this, but unfortunately had to try once or twice.

On the other hand, I've slept in the back of an SUV with the seats down on several occasions. Prepared with a pad, sleeping bag, and pillow... I find it perfectly fine when it's just me. Ideally it would be someplace quiet, like a campground. I have tried to sleep at interstate highway rest areas, but they're noisy... semi tractors with the engines running, car doors slamming, highway noise, etc.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:33 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,628,378 times
Yep, not often, and not my first choice, though.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:57 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Absolutely not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive