Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 08:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Ahhhhhhh ... the college days. Road trips. sleeping anywhere. You have stirred the fondest of memories.
Yes, My son would drive overnight to Whistler, and (4) large guys slept in his GTI in the parking lot Friday and Saturday nghts.

Cooked the Top Ramen on the backpack stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2023, 09:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 3,739,244 times
Yes, a few times, most notably at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere in a Utah desert near the San Rafael Swell Recreation Area. Nothing and no one in sight for miles, other than pitch black and the occasional truckers parking their big rigs for a rest. Sound like fun?* I had a hatchback, so I folded the seats down and used some clothing I brought with me for pillows, but that was it as far as comfort was concerned. I could have paid $100+ or so for a hotel somewhere previous along the route, which I usually did on those trips, but in that instance, I thought I would give this a try for once.

*actually, it kind of was - just me and the big sky before dusk.

This picture is from that road trip: https://i.imgur.com/97sZp9B.jpg

Last edited by Free-R; 10-09-2023 at 09:45 PM..

Old 10-10-2023, 06:46 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,535,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Yes, a few times, most notably at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere in a Utah desert near the San Rafael Swell Recreation Area. Nothing and no one in sight for miles, other than pitch black and the occasional truckers parking their big rigs for a rest. Sound like fun?* I had a hatchback, so I folded the seats down and used some clothing I brought with me for pillows, but that was it as far as comfort was concerned. I could have paid $100+ or so for a hotel somewhere previous along the route, which I usually did on those trips, but in that instance, I thought I would give this a try for once.

*actually, it kind of was - just me and the big sky before dusk.

This picture is from that road trip: https://i.imgur.com/97sZp9B.jpg
I can imagine from the picture it must have been pitch black until dawn. Definitely peaceful setting.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:55 AM

21,922 posts, read 13,004,619 times
I temporarily lost track of this thread and started another before finding it again, but to update: I did it! A rest area, a truck stop, and a Cracker Barrel. All uneventful, except that the truck stop was too loud. I took no measures to conceal my presence, but no one bothered me. Several others were doing the same in each of the locations. I'm amused that so many here will admit to "just pulling off the road for a short nap" but not to spending the night. What's the difference?

Old 04-01-2024, 07:15 AM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I temporarily lost track of this thread and started another before finding it again, but to update: I did it! A rest area, a truck stop, and a Cracker Barrel. All uneventful, except that the truck stop was too loud. I took no measures to conceal my presence, but no one bothered me. Several others were doing the same in each of the locations. I'm amused that so many here will admit to "just pulling off the road for a short nap" but not to spending the night. What's the difference?

ok re-found this too and read the responses....

can I count trips in the RV when we would head to cape may and leave a half day early and stay at the fly-j in carlisle overnight, just off the road? we would park the rv in rv parking, level it, fire the genset in the class C and sleep in comfort. $10 shower (non fueling customer) in the am - DW and I would share the bathroom of course and then breakfast in the dennys.

of course in my truck driving days, EVERY trip was a road trip and sleep periods in truckstops or pickle parks were part of the norm, as was the acquired vigilance. <---closeted homosexual white males in pickle parks (its why we call them pickle parks...) are actually a thing and not a cliche and just, ewwww and far far more abundant than robbers - at least back then. what their wives dont know...

the noise? you get used to it by day 2.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:19 AM

So is a truck stop considered the "safest"? I found it rather sketchy. There were a couple of unsavory types hanging around the front door, and I didn't want them to see me heading into my back seat for the night. Rest area and CB were darker, quiet, and felt safe with other car campers nearby. I cracked the windows because it got stuffy. Extra padding would definitely make the bench more comfortable. Otherwise, all went well, and I'd do it again.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:49 AM

10,900 posts, read 4,566,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So is a truck stop considered the "safest"? I found it rather sketchy. There were a couple of unsavory types hanging around the front door, and I didn't want them to see me heading into my back seat for the night. Rest area and CB were darker, quiet, and felt safe with other car campers nearby. I cracked the windows because it got stuffy. Extra padding would definitely make the bench more comfortable. Otherwise, all went well, and I'd do it again.

boy this is a loaded one....

the large corporate stops - pilot/fly J, TA (and Im forgetting the name of the one that hosts the iron skillet restaurant chain) are relatively safe. ETA: PETRO!

back in the day - preinternet - we had paper directories - just like the ones for motel 6, super 8 etc - that listed every stop in a brand - unocal 76, TA etc and listed what they had, did etc.

I since posted the biz card for the most entertaining TS on the planet exit 10 off the mass pike - I still have it somewhere.

the most heroic with the best back story is the little america up in flagstaff.

The unocal 76 at ontario circa when they tore down the speedway was the most, um, infamous. My brother and I were both with stepdad when we got stuck there once and listened to CB chatter in the lot while a long nose pete drove around a totally sky clad hooker with its spotlights on her, advertising her customer relations services for a good price. Stepdad told us to NEVER tell mom if we ever wanted to run the road again...it was an education. AND IT SERVED ME WELL.

suffice to say, the slight knock on the door at night a polite no thank you to the human being outside trying to survive kept the peace. You didnt go where you should not, you parked under lights - you learned fast to determine which trucks were not 'serious' trucks. plus it helped that I was 6-2 from 9th grade on and while athletic, I was not just playing truck driver, I was also playing furniture mover and reality is, I could throw most people into a wall without spilling my soda. skels are living skels because they play the odds: The big guys who look irritated because they just loaded 15000 in the heat with a double stair carry were not 'sure things'.

we knew from rumor, cb talk and markings in the books which had good food (I myself, in those healthier days was 'Pahoo' when it came to burgers, and chili, I sampled the chili in many places, many times in the lower 48) and cheapest water free diesel.

I feel far better - in truck, car or RV at a truck stop - at a name brand stop, vs ANY rest area. while it was at an I81 stop where I had a 50 year old tennis pro dressed guy in a mercedes SEL approach me for god knows what and he saw the 'beater bar' (long story) in my hand as a business implement, it was a TA where my almost as big teenage brother full kicked with workboots, in the face, the pedo perv who tried coming in under the bathroom stall side panels.

install extra eyes, swivel your head and realize, shopping malls are at present more dangerous...

sad, but true.

PS: most slip seat truckers today are chinese nationals or russian/Ukr. while the chinese guys speak not one word and stay 100% to themselves and do the job for 20-30 cents on the dollar, the russians et al are almost ALWAYS running an illicit side biz out the back and do nothing to draw attention John law is not stupid and keeps an eye on them.

Last edited by RetireinPA; 04-01-2024 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-01-2024, 10:41 AM

12,516 posts, read 9,595,585 times
I have rarely, if ever done a multiday drive - if the trip is longer, I am normally flying and then getting local transport near the destination. When I retire, I plan to do some extensive road-tripping though... I might stay longer in some states than others, but would like to see (at some level) all the states, plus the Canadian provinces.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:53 AM

I'd love to take the Amtrak car train down to southernmost Florida and then meander up the coast, spending a few days or a week in each beach town, over the course of a few months...

Of course, that would be prohibitively expensive if staying exclusively in hotels!

Old 04-01-2024, 10:55 AM

14,187 posts, read 22,768,179 times
I have a small pillow in my truck just in case I begin to feel sleepy while I'm driving. I've pulled over to take a nap a few times before, usually for about 20-30 minutes at a time. The longest was for about 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive