Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,534,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
As far as mindlessly obeying laws for the sake of obeying laws, true. You shouldn't listen to them anymore than you do hypocrites such as yourself who feel they don't need to obey keep right except to pass and slower traffic move right laws.

The video does a good job of describing why hypocrites such as yourself are behaving more dangerously than hypocrites who want to speed and think others should get out of the left lane so they can speed, however. What's dangerous isn't so much speed as differential. Someone such as yourself who advocates for pigheadedly sitting in the left lane doing 65 when the prevailing speed is 80 mph pose a much greater danger than someone doing 85.
Interesting how you totally ignored this in the post you're responding to:

If you insist on driving below the speed limit in the left lane (assuming traffic and road conditions are fine), you need to move over.

I don't drive in the left lane except to pass or exit left. For one thing, the speed addicts zooming past thinking they're impressing anyone can pull off the cops up ahead.

Differential of speed is, indeed, dangerous. That's why EVERYONE should drive as close to the posted speed limit as possible - among other things, it establishes that common speed that removes the differential. Anyone driving significantly slower or faster than the speed limit is making it difficult for the common speed to be achieved and has no business lecturing others about it.

One thing to consider - if you spend a lot of time in the left lane passing everyone else, or you constantly find yourself hampered by people who are in front of you in the left lane, you might want to take a look at your own speedometer, AND you might want to consider that you, yourself, are quite clearly NOT driving with the flow of traffic or you wouldn't be passing/right up on someone's tailgate all the time.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:29 AM

Here's what the Texas Department of Transportation has to say about the Left Lane for Passing Only signs when they increased the number of roads where it applied and thus, because it's the law that there be proper signage or that law doesn't apply, added a bunch of new signs (emphasis mine, typos theirs).

‘The use of these signs will help ensure that vehicles travelling at the posted speed limit will not be impeded or forced to ma make excessive lane changes when encountering a slower vehicle.’

Old 08-28-2016, 10:36 AM

231 posts, read 228,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interesting how you totally ignored this in the post you're responding to:

If you insist on driving below the speed limit in the left lane (assuming traffic and road conditions are fine), you need to move over.

I don't drive in the left lane except to pass or exit left. For one thing, the speed addicts zooming past thinking they're impressing anyone can pull off the cops up ahead.

Differential of speed is, indeed, dangerous. That's why EVERYONE should drive as close to the posted speed limit as possible - among other things, it establishes that common speed that removes the differential. Anyone driving significantly slower or faster than the speed limit is making it difficult for the common speed to be achieved and has no business lecturing others about it.

One thing to consider - if you spend a lot of time in the left lane passing everyone else, or you constantly find yourself hampered by people who are in front of you in the left lane, you might want to take a look at your own speedometer, AND you might want to consider that you, yourself, are quite clearly NOT driving with the flow of traffic or you wouldn't be passing/right up on someone's tailgate all the time.
Whether another person wants to go above the posted speed limit is none of your business. It is not your job to serve as some sort of road block to someone going 5mph over the speed limit.

If you don't like it, lump it. Hope that sooner or later they will get pulled over.

But unless YOU want to pay a fine for impeding the flow of traffic (which, yes, is often a couple miles above the speed limit) move yourself over to that right lane like you're supposed to do. Period. Have a nice day.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:05 AM

33 posts, read 25,647 times
Half the accidents in my state would stop if people would just pull over and let faster traffic pass. I just love driving on the shoulder and passing on the right because the person in front of me just won't move.

Traffic vigilantes do nothing but cause danger. They aren't helping.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:12 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?

if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?
Why do you care? Move over and let them by.

If both are speeding, guess who's going to have a chat with the police officer?

Old 08-28-2016, 11:18 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,262,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So breaking the law and driving in the left lane too slow (even if above speed limit) is not ok but breaking the law by speeding is ok? Both are equally dangerous IMO.
You really need to watch the video. Or watch it again.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:31 AM

597 posts, read 671,883 times
In this day of age of often busy roads and relatively fast traffic in both lanes, I think a lot of left lane drivers think that if they're going fast "enough" then there's no problem and they sort of feel justified in refusing to move over. Like if the speed limit is 70 and left lane driver is going 75, then he/she feels justified in camping out in the left lane. I find this situation is much more common than a truly "slow" driver.

I always move over, no matter. If I were going 90 in the left lane (I don't go 90 but just for the sake of argument) and someone behind me was going 95, I'd move over. I learned that the left lane is the passing lane. Sometimes on relatively un-busy roads you can camp out there and avoid getting behind trucks that block your view, but on busy roads, just let the speed demons pass.

Another annoying situation are drivers who will eventually get over, but won't speed up to do it. They will not turn off that cruise control. So they're cruising at 74 while passing two semis that are going 73. It's absurd.

I find people go

Old 08-28-2016, 11:57 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,777,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Here's what the Texas Department of Transportation has to say about the Left Lane for Passing Only signs when they increased the number of roads where it applied and thus, because it's the law that there be proper signage or that law doesn't apply, added a bunch of new signs (emphasis mine, typos theirs).

‘The use of these signs will help ensure that vehicles travelling at the posted speed limit will not be impeded or forced to ma make excessive lane changes when encountering a slower vehicle.’
Shall I post the link in the other thread where I completely and totally refuted this bogus claim? And where members of Texas law enforcement acknowledge that the law favors those speeding more than it does those cruising in the left-hand lane? I'm happy to do so, since it seems to have escaped your attention that your claims are completely and utterly wrong.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,648,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Shall I post the link in the other thread where I completely and totally refuted this bogus claim? And where members of Texas law enforcement acknowledge that the law favors those speeding more than it does those cruising in the left-hand lane? I'm happy to do so, since it seems to have escaped your attention that your claims are completely and utterly wrong.
Why do you bother?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Whether another person wants to go above the posted speed limit is none of your business. It is not your job to serve as some sort of road block to someone going 5mph over the speed limit.

If you don't like it, lump it. Hope that sooner or later they will get pulled over.

But unless YOU want to pay a fine for impeding the flow of traffic (which, yes, is often a couple miles above the speed limit) move yourself over to that right lane like you're supposed to do. Period. Have a nice day.
Did you even READ the post you quoted? Or did your knee jerking keep you from being able to comprehend what you read?

Here it is again.

See? I'm telling people to get the heck out of your way. That's what you want, isn't it?

However, if you want someone to obey the keep right law so that you can violate the speed limit law, yes, you are a hypocrite no matter how much you deny it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive