Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,639,132 times

Advertisements

That's right!

Do not impede the flow of traffic. Those who do make our roads unsafe.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,804,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?

if you are 80 in a 60 and somebody wants to do 105 in a 60, why should you move. serious, why should people be allowed unlimited speed in the left lane. I could understand 55 in a 60 but if you are allready speeding or if the car ahead of you is slowing you , why should you have to move because somebody behind you want to go faster. why?
Because research shows that it is dangerous to DRIVE in the left hand lane. Everyone is safest when it is ONLY used for passing. So it doesn't matter if you are doing 60, 80, or 100 in the left hand lane. It is dangerous to everyone else to just drive out there.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The same folks that don't like folks driving less than 100 mph in the left lane don't like us old folks driving the speed limit in the right lane. No matter what you do some AH is always on your rear bumper.
Actually it isnt about the speed of the person in the left lane, it is about the fact that they are not passing someone but instead are driving in that lane permanently. Pass and then move over.

And no one should be tailgating, especially people in the right hand lane, that is just wrong.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Yes and those signs also don't say the speed limit is not enforced in the left lane...you have no right to exceed the limit just because you are in the left lane.

I find it funny people who complain about left lane drivers but why are you in the left lane for so long? Most people who complain are complaining because they don't have a wide open stretch so they can do 90 mph. Yet at the same time they will tell people "it's for passing only" then rip up the road doing 90mph for miles...

Hypocrites or just plain old entitlement attitude.
No one, regardless of speed should be driving in the left lane. Once you pass a car you should move back over.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
they say its the law, well my state say you do the speed limit and slower traffic mover left, but anything at the speed limit is not slow traffic, so just set back listen to the radio and cruise, remember you cant break the speed limit, so you cant do 105 in a 70 like you want
Actually officers (as explained in the video, did you watch it?) more and more often will give citation for impeding the flow of traffic, if they are going slower than the flow of traffic even if they are doing the speed limit.

The reality is that research shows that driving in the left hand lane, slower than the flow of traffic (regardless of whether that flow is slower, faster or the same as the speed limit) causes more accidents than just speeding. That means that those of you who choose to break the stay right except to pass laws are more likely to cause an accident that can harm yourself and others than the typical speeder.

Despite posts about rights, and courtesy, really it is about safety. Impeding the flow of traffic is less safe than the typical speeding. That is what makes driving in the left hand lane, regardless of speed, so dangerous.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,631,182 times
So breaking the law and driving in the left lane too slow (even if above speed limit) is not ok but breaking the law by speeding is ok? Both are equally dangerous IMO.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 AM

9,692 posts, read 7,431,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Because research shows that it is dangerous to DRIVE in the left hand lane. Everyone is safest when it is ONLY used for passing. So it doesn't matter if you are doing 60, 80, or 100 in the left hand lane. It is dangerous to everyone else to just drive out there.
then why do they do it then, left lane for passing, not in our state, there so much traffic, all lanes are for travel, dont know where you came up with that only for passing, it has never been that way around here.

there no way the right lane could hold all the traffic load, nobody would be able to get off on on the freeway and that more dangeous than your stupid theory that its dangerous to drive in left lane.

left lane is dangeous because of people wanting top do 105 in a 70

Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,499,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So breaking the law and driving in the left lane too slow (even if above speed limit) is not ok but breaking the law by speeding is ok? Both are equally dangerous IMO.
Its a simple fact of driving that some people drive faster than others,having a lane for them to pass slower moving vehicles is the safe option,as for them going faster than posted speed limit thats their choice and they maybe held accountable for that choice but that is something that is up to law enforcement to enforce and not some pious little control freek who thinks he can cruise along in the passing lane holding faster drivers up just because he is doing the posted speed limit.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I'll bet you I am more aware of my surroundings passing you than you are concentrating on listening to a book on tape.
Certainly not as bad as texting or talking on the phone, but you cannot tell me that some percentage of your attention is not being diverted as you become immersed in the story you are listening to.

I will anticipate someone saying 'what about music'? I believe music playing requires far less attention than trying to comprehend a book reading.
WHAT??? Dude, you just passed me on the road. You're out of my life. I don't care one bit about your road awareness.

I'm aware of the road in front of me as I drive in the right lane. Listening to a book is no more dangerous than being deep in thought while driving. What about people rehearsing speeches or thinking through a work presentation while driving? Same difference.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:05 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,608,075 times
We get the same thing in the U.K., but as we drive on the left, it's the right lane we'll mean.
Over here, M-ways, (Motorways), or anything the equivalent of your freeways or Interstates, have an upper speed limit of 70 m.p.h.
I'm normally in the left lane, doing 50 - 65, until I come up to a truck, or something going slower than me, then I'll check the rear-view, indicate, pass the slower vehicle(s), then indicate and move smoothly back to the left lane.
There are times when I'm in the left lane, doing maybe 55 or 60, the road ahead, in the left lane, is empty for miles, but there is some clown driving at 45, holding steady in the centre lane, (if there are 3 lanes).
Legally, the correct procedure to pass this clown, is to move to the centre lane, then the extreme right lane, pass the guy, then gradually cross 2 lanes to get back to the left lane.
I can't be bothered with that palaver, keeping a watchful eye on the clown, I just maintain my speed, stay in the left lane, pass him, and keep going.
Same goes if I'm doing 65 - 68 in the extreme right lane, and come up behind someone doing less than 70, acting like a self-styled cop, stopping other cars from reaching the limit, and passing him.
Just scan the rear-view, keeping a vigilant eye on all traffic around, then ease to the left, pass the jerk, and stay in that lane until you have to move right to pass something else.
I have to say, that driving in a 3 lane freeway in the U.S. is easier, there it seems that you can use any lane to pass, as long as you do it carefully. and vigilantly.
A new bye-law was introduced some 8 or 9 months ago, on M-ways and other 3 lane roads here, where the cops will ticket anyone hogging the centre lane, making drivers cross from the inside, slow lane, across 2 lanes, just to overtake the centre lane hogger, legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive