Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
-tr -tr started this thread

22 posts, read 36,624 times

Advertisements

Hi there, not sure where online this topic would actually belong, but I love these forums and maybe someone can offer some guidance.

So driving home yesterday I allegedly drove through a red light (it was yellow, but that's not the issue as I just got a warning). Had no registration or insurance, so was written a ticket for both. Problem being, I don't actually have either. :/ Before any lectures / judgement, I have been working very hard to get this straightened out. However, thanks to some very hard dealt life lessons, I simply have not been able to. And now this, so it seems to just keep piling up.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight as to what my options are at this point. I would love to get the replacement out of state title and register ($90 plus the MI fees), acquire insurance (bare minimum cheapest I've found is around $200/month, with $400-500 usually required down), and just explain it in court, but that's a lot of money given my situation. Any thoughts? Might there be a chance at getting a reduced fine by pleading guilty with a written explanation of some sort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
Can you ask a mod to move it to the automotive forum? You would probably get more replies.

Is the issue that you don't have the title to the vehicle in question?
Seems to me the court isn't going to be receptive to excuses; your best bet is to suck it up and get the vehicle legal before going to court. If you go in pleading guilty without having done that, you're just going to be ordered to do it anyway.
The other option is to sell the vehicle and tell the judge you did so because you couldn't afford to drive it legally. (I'm not being snarky but I think this would be a legitimate option, although probably not practical.)

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
In MIchigan? OUCH, this is going to REALLY hurt...

See driver responsibility law on DMV website.. No insurance is like an additional $500 for the next 2-3 years and no registration is almost $1000 for the next 2-3 years.

There is ZERO chance of getting anything reduced or dismissed..

Better call 1-800-I-NEED-A-GREAT-LAWYER-ASAP!!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 AM

Doh! That certainly would've been a better place to post this. I have thought about selling it, though not sure it would in the less than 20 days I have left. As for getting it legal right now, I can't afford it. Looked at insurance quotes yesterday and they came out to $200 a month (geico being $500/month!) with around $400-500 down, which simply isn't possible right now on top of all the other costs of doing so.

As for the Driver Responsibility Law, it is no longer in effect for certain offenses as of October 2012. I can't find anything regarding a responsibility fee for no registration, however.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,276,212 times
You willing drove without registration or insurance. I hope at a minimum they inpound your car.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 AM

Thank you for your feedback, your opinion has been duly noted. I would only ask that next time your post be a little more constructive to the post.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 AM

Bump. Starting to run out if time if anyone has any ideas.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:28 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,629,100 times
Your only hope is to have insurance and registration completed before seeing the judge. Ask for a extension, you can likely get one for 30 to 60 days.
Seriously the judge will sharpen his pencil to make a point and then add up fees. Your details are vague about title, if you are residing in the state it is titled in. In many cases you can pay for the registration without ownership, this may be cheaper than the court fees. if you have to you may have to file a non-op if your state has such and declare you are not driving it.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,704,388 times
I am not sure anyone here can help you. And I am sorry you have been dealt some hard life lessons. But the state won't care. The law is the law. They only look at it as you are driving without the proper documents. I sure you were doing this to get to work so you could solve some of your financial problems. Not trying to be hard on you, but I don't think you can make this go away. Just make sure you show up to court on time to show you are responsible, and maybe someone will cut you a bit of a break. I wish you the best.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,482,134 times
I know you dont want a lecture, but seriously, if you cant afford to drive, then dont. I have been in your exact same boat and its not going to turn out pretty.

Insurance is very simple. Its there to cover the damages and liability you may impose if you hit someone or something. If you can afford insurance, they you sure as hell cant afford to fix somebody's car, property, or medical bills. Find a way, get legal. Get a 2nd, or 3rd job. Get a bike or bus pass. (I've done this before, sucks, but better than jail) Do what it takes to get legal.

Fines will add up. Most judges don't give much in breaks to no insurance. Its either you had it or you dont. You will be fined for this. If you haven't obtained insurance by the court date, I would advise on NOT driving to court. Good chance the judge may ask if you drove or not.

Now, your prices for insurance are quite high. I may be wrong, but from your current posts, I cant imagine your car being worth all that much, you must have really poor credit, and maybe a not so good driving record for rates that high on just state minimum auto coverage.

Work hard the right way. Get legal. You will get pulled over again and again. Until you go legit, you are in a downward spiral. Seriously, I have been there when it comes to cars. I got so backed up on fines, licenses getting suspended, no registration, etc. Do it right, I just can't stress it enough. If you don't get legal, the best thing is to get rid of that car asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive