Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM
-tr -tr started this thread

22 posts, read 36,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I do not understand why you do not get the registration and insurance done, if not everything get it started and have some paper work with you.
I cannot afford to cover both the registration and insurance, and a ticket for both. Leaving that up to a judge is pretty risky in my experience, and I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a chance that the judge could do more damage than simply paying the tickets would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 03:33 PM

15,471 posts, read 25,929,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -tr View Post
I cannot afford to cover both the registration and insurance, and a ticket for both. Leaving that up to a judge is pretty risky in my experience, and I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a chance that the judge could do more damage than simply paying the tickets would.
You cannot afford not to cover both insurance and registration, and a ticket. I've been there. Trust me. Do it. Cut other spending, not this.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:35 PM
-tr -tr started this thread

22 posts, read 36,654 times
I'm not advocating driving without them, I'm saying I cannot afford both at the same time so I'm trying to go with the one that will do the least damage.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:24 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,100,284 times
Sell your car. Get a bill of sale. Go in and tell them you sold you car because you cannot afford registration and insurance. Use the money from the car to pay whatever fine they impose. Maybe you will have enough left over for a bicycle.

This is a fix it type ticket. You must prove you have registered and insured the car or no longer own/drive it for the ticket to get dismissed. You cannot just pay a fine 9at least not anywhere I have been).

Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,225,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sell your car. Get a bill of sale. Go in and tell them you sold you car because you cannot afford registration and insurance. Use the money from the car to pay whatever fine they impose. Maybe you will have enough left over for a bicycle.

This is a fix it type ticket. You must prove you have registered and insured the car or no longer own/drive it for the ticket to get dismissed. You cannot just pay a fine 9at least not anywhere I have been).
I agree that the judge wants to see the violator has already performed some positive action to resolve and or eliminate the problem. That way the judge knows he isnt going to be coned .I heard a judge ask a young guy who had come before him with some serious driving charges and asked for a court appointed lawyer. The judge said "son ,do you still own that car"? kid said "yes" Judge said "sell the car and you pay for the lawyer,Im not going to give you one for free"

Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,206,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I suggested this in post #2 and still think it's a good idea, although not really do-able if you need a vehicle for work.

Can you afford to pay the registration and insurance ($200 per month seems crazy high even for Michigan) and ask the judge if s/he will give you time to pay the fine? If you absolutely must keep the car, you MUST get it registered and insured and it will look bad if you haven't made an effort. As Coldjensens said, you really have no choice other than ridding yourself of the vehicle.

Is this a 4WD vehicle or sporty car? Another option if so: sell it and buy something cheaper to insure.

As to the title...I have an old truck that I cannot find the original title for and I'm ready to get rid of it. I was just on the mi.gov website this morning and it looks like it will only cost me $15 and a one-two week wait for a duplicate.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,690,984 times
Although I'd strongly suggest selling it and not driving, if you MUST keep it and drive, it's a no-brainer: INSURANCE! NOW!

The registration snafu shouldn't keep an insurance company from insuring you. As far as the vehicle goes, in my experience, all they ask for is the VIN--they don't even ask who the car is registered to.

BTW, you're getting quoted high rates for your first 6 months because you don't have a current insurance policy. Insurance companies don't like a driver who isn't continuously insured. It will be almost cut in half in when you renew in six months, and forever, as long as you don't let your policy lapse.

When you go to court, show them proof of insurance first, then apologize to the court and the public at large for driving without. Tell them this experience has given you quite a scare, especially when you thought about the thousands of dollars in damage and medical bills you could cause in an accident, and you couldn't afford to cover that without insurance. Tell them that you're taking this seriously, and you'll never do it again.

THEN you give them the sob story about being unemployed or whatever, and how you're working now and getting back on your feet, but you can't afford a huge fine right now. They might have community service work to offer, or since you have a job, they might offer you a payment plan. If you face suspension as part of the punishment, ask if you can have a permit to drive to work (and ONLY work) while you're officially under suspension.

The good news is that they want you to work and stay on the good side of the law, so they can and do tailor your punishment to something that might suck donkey balls, but it should be doable without causing you to fall deeper in the hole.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:54 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,225,730 times
I agree, The cops and judge aren't there to nail your gonads to a wall..Really you need to look at them as your friends..Dear friends who worry about you and want you to be careful...You might even get to go out and have a few drinks socially with them and meet the family.It was all a misunderstanding about your insurance mix up and its all taken care of now never to happen again.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,929,083 times
I think the OP thinks that all the court cares about is revenue generation, i.e.. pay the fine and forget it, but I think he needs to understand that they will come down harder on him if he does nothing then if does something about it.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,690,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I agree, The cops and judge aren't there to nail your gonads to a wall..Really you need to look at them as your friends..Dear friends who worry about you and want you to be careful...You might even get to go out and have a few drinks socially with them and meet the family.It was all a misunderstanding about your insurance mix up and its all taken care of now never to happen again.

Taking the opposite approach isn't going to get him any farther.

"Your honor, I don't really give a damn about anyone but myself, and you're a bunch jerks for telling me what to do. What's my fine anyway? I'm fin'ta pay it with $2 bills."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive