Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:23 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure that several people have seen the new flashing yellow arrow traffic signals in a few places, where the flashing yellow arrow is used in lieu of a solid green ball light to indicate a permissive left turn.

I see that the point of these signals is to reduce yellow-trap (especially on a road that uses hybrid lead-lag phasing), however, wouldn't some people find such signals distracting due to the flashing? This was one of the very reasons why white strobes inside red signals have been banned.

As alternatives to a flashing yellow arrow, why not add a fourth color arrow? Perhaps a solid blue, purple, white, or pink arrow may have been a better idea than a flashing yellow arrow. Or what about a "reversed" yellow arrow signal, which would have a black arrow inside a yellow ball light?

What does anyone here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
a flashing yellow arrow should indicate to people making a turn, that they should yield the right of way, sort of like having a yield sign posted.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:37 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I've also seen flashing red arrows to indicate turns are allowed after a full stop.

Strobes are banned? Better let some state highway departments know since they're still being installed as retrofits and new installations.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
A flashing yellow arrow does not mean the same thing as a steady green light, so it's not being "used in lieu of". There's the first mistake.

There's no need for a 4th color. People need to learn what the signals mean, and pay attention. If people are so easily distracted by a traffic signal, maybe they shouldn't be driving at all. Adding another color when the current system works fine is pointless.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I haven't seen any flashing yellow arrows so far.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

As alternatives to a flashing yellow arrow, why not add a fourth color arrow?

What does anyone here think?
Color blind people?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
I don't have any problem understanding it.

Arrow means it applies to traffic moving in that direction.
Yellow means proceed but yield if necessary.
Flashing means it is not going to change to red in a moment.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:12 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
I see you are from Arizona. I think Tucson and maybe Phoenix are "testing cities" for new or proposed traffic control signs and devices.

I have traveled around the country a bit and see all sorts of unusual traffic gizmos when I visit Tucson which I have not seen anywhere else. Many states have red arrows for left turns only - they remain red while the straight through traffic has a green light. The left turn light only turns green before the straight through traffic gets a green.

(In Tucson at least, when the straight through traffic gets a green, you get a flashing yellow for left turn and can turn left if no oncoming cars. Then it turns red briefly when the straight through traffic also gets a red, then green after that pause for left turn. Quite different from other states!)

Old 05-26-2013, 10:30 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times
Whoever came up with/installed these new flashing yellow turn signals is in fact LYING to motorists about whether they can safely turn or not, it's unethical, and they will definitely be going to hell for eternity.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Whoever came up with/installed these new flashing yellow turn signals is in fact LYING to motorists about whether they can safely turn or not, it's unethical, and they will definitely be going to hell for eternity.
They always have signs that say "Yield on yellow flashing arrow", so I don't see how it's unethical except to people who can't read (who probably shouldn't be driving anyway... LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive