Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times

Advertisements

Anyone else seen these in their town/cities? It's a left turn signal. Usually, it's a green arrow when it's safe to go and a solid green light when it's OK but with caution. Our city has begun trying in some intersections a flashing yellow arrow light for the left turn when it's OK but with caution. I regularly catch myself slowing and looking more carefully at these intersections. They make sense to me since we've been trained that green means go and yellow is caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times
They have been installing them en masse around here and I LOVE them because before 95% of all left turn signals around here were protected only. I don't understand what's so hard to understand because people here love to stop for no reason and wait for it to go green. A flashing yellow ball means proceed with caution. Why would a flashing yellow arrow be any different? Turn left with caution.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
A flashing yellow can also mean that is it the process of changing from flashing green to red. So you need to hesitate, to make sure.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:22 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Where the heck do you guys live? Flashing green? That's even more odd than a flashing yellow arrow.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,217,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A flashing yellow can also mean that is it the process of changing from flashing green to red. So you need to hesitate, to make sure.
What? I have never seen a flashing light turn to another color. In fact, I think that would defeat the purpose of "flashing lights" all together.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
As rosecitywanderer said, they've been installed all through Oregon. On a left turn, you get a solid green arrow when you have right of way, and then when you may turn but do not have right of way, it goes to flashing yellow arrow.

While it's true that back when we all drove horse-drawn buggies a simple solid green light would suffice, I think this has been a good change - so many cities went to 3-light left turn signals that consisted of a green turn arrow, a yellow and a red (so that you could only turn when you had a green arrow) that too many drivers got the association of green=right of way. The flashing yellow arrow is a good way to indicate that you MAY turn, if you get the chance.

Of course, this is a state that allows left turns on red, if you are turning from a two-way street on to a one-way street. On the other hand, we don't mount lights sideways on the street corners (I'm pretty sure I ran a light the first time I drove in Houston because I didn't register the sideways-mounted light, way over on the corner on a 4 lane one-way road, as a signal).

Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,349 times
We have had the flashing yellows in Fort Smith Arkansas for several years. Haven't seen a flashing green yet.

There ok, not going to end all traffic problems but they can save a minute or two sometimes.

A few weeks ago I came to an intersection where the street ended, so that you could only turn right or left. The yellow arrow was flashing, I'm only used to looking for oncoming traffic so I went ahead and went. I'm pretty sure I pulled out into traffic blind, scared the crap out of me. I'll never ever let that happen again.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 PM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times
Flashing green lights are in violation of the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) but are still used in Canada.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
In TJ Mexico a flashing green light three times then amber means it will be turning RED which gives a person ample time to react as needed.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Build roundabouts and you'll avoid traffic lights altogether
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive