Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 AM

35 posts, read 169,662 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago my parents and I financed a 2003 Audi A4 for me from Accredited Motor Cars in Teterboro. The car has been a living nightmare since. I have put thousands of dollars into fixing the vehicle. Everything from the coolant sensor to the gear shift and its electronic sensors to a new timing belt. During the Spring the exhaust pipe became loose while I was driving on the highway. Long story short: I avoided a possible fire and death. Likewise, I avoided another possible death this week. A few days ago the vehicle self-accelerated while I was driving in the left lane on Route 4 West. The brakes suddenly would not work. I had to weave in and out of lanes. I was fortunate to be able to put the vehicle in park and pull up the emergency brake up while in the right lane. Almost immediately after, while in park, the car revved up to over 200 mph and I felt the car trying to bolt. I jumped out of the vehicle.

AAA took my vehicle to the mechanic with whom my father uses: Thoroughbreds Auto Care Inc. in Closter.
The mechanic told us that, "The reason for the self-acceleration was the throttle gasping. It revved up the RPM." The mechanic supposedly fixed that and changed a couple of other things. When the mechanic drove the vehicle he felt, "The transmission change gears roughly." The mechanic then supposedly called Audi and gave them a rundown on what happened to me. Audi supposedly told the mechanic that there were no recalls for my vehicle and advised the mechanic to do a few things, all of which he supposedly did. According to my father, the total for the mechanic's services are $4,558. On top of this, according to my father we still owe the bank a couple thousand as the vehicle was financed. This is the second time I purchased a used vehicle and have gone through issues. The last time was with a 2000 Volkswagen Beetle.

I reside in a town next to Paramus. I would like to lease my next vehicle, and since 2013 is right around the corner, I am hoping 2012 vehicles will be cheaper. All I am looking for is a safe automatic transmission vehicle that has all wheel drive and anti-lock breaks. A vehicle that is NOT known for having any self-acceleration incidents is preferable. I have been thinking of Honda and Hyundai. My questions are:
. What is the cheapest yet safest 2012 model/vehicle that I can lease for at most or under $199/month?
2. What is the best way that I can receive the most value for my vehicle. It's specs are:
2003 Audi a4 1.8t quattro
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Black
Seats: All seats are genuine leather; Driver and Passengar seats are heated
Audio: Bose Music System; 6-Disc CD Player; Cassette Player
Miles: 104,000
Updates: New coolant sensor, gear shift, timing belt, etc. etc. etc.
Condition: Nearly perfect
Damage: Minimal. Minor finger-size scratch on back side.

In advance, thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,540,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous1133 View Post
. Almost immediately after, while in park, the car revved up to over 200 mph and I felt the car trying to bolt. I jumped out of the vehicle.
You jumped out of the car at 200 mph?

I think you mean RPM.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,169,457 times
200 RPM is rather slow

Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,860,919 times
Quote:
A couple of years ago my parents and I financed a 2003 Audi A4 for me from Accredited Motor Cars in Teterboro. The car has been a living nightmare since. I have put thousands of dollars into fixing the vehicle. Everything from the coolant sensor to the gear shift and its electronic sensors to a new timing belt. During the Spring the exhaust pipe became loose while I was driving on the highway. Long story short: I avoided a possible fire and death. Likewise, I avoided another possible death this week. A few days ago the vehicle self-accelerated while I was driving in the left lane on Route 4 West. The brakes suddenly would not work. I had to weave in and out of lanes. I was fortunate to be able to put the vehicle in park and pull up the emergency brake up while in the right lane. Almost immediately after, while in park, the car revved up to over 200 mph and I felt the car trying to bolt. I jumped out of the vehicle.

AAA took my vehicle to the mechanic with whom my father uses: Thoroughbreds Auto Care Inc. in Closter.
The mechanic told us that, "The reason for the self-acceleration was the throttle gasping. It revved up the RPM." The mechanic supposedly fixed that and changed a couple of other things. When the mechanic drove the vehicle he felt, "The transmission change gears roughly." The mechanic then supposedly called Audi and gave them a rundown on what happened to me. Audi supposedly told the mechanic that there were no recalls for my vehicle and advised the mechanic to do a few things, all of which he supposedly did. According to my father, the total for the mechanic's services are $4,558. On top of this, according to my father we still owe the bank a couple thousand as the vehicle was financed. This is the second time I purchased a used vehicle and have gone through issues. The last time was with a 2000 Volkswagen Beetle.

I reside in a town next to Paramus. I would like to lease my next vehicle, and since 2013 is right around the corner, I am hoping 2012 vehicles will be cheaper. All I am looking for is a safe automatic transmission vehicle that has all wheel drive and anti-lock breaks. A vehicle that is NOT known for having any self-acceleration incidents is preferable. I have been thinking of Honda and Hyundai. My questions are:
. What is the cheapest yet safest 2012 model/vehicle that I can lease for at most or under $199/month?
2. What is the best way that I can receive the most value for my vehicle. It's specs are:
2003 Audi a4 1.8t quattro
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Black
Seats: All seats are genuine leather; Driver and Passengar seats are heated
Audio: Bose Music System; 6-Disc CD Player; Cassette Player
Miles: 104,000
Updates: New coolant sensor, gear shift, timing belt, etc. etc. etc.
Condition: Nearly perfect
Damage: Minimal. Minor finger-size scratch on back side.

In advance, thank you for your time.
The best value I know of in my area is a Honda Accord. $2,000 due at signing and you will get a lease for $174/month for 36 months.

The best way to get the most for your Audi is to sell it privately. I would mention the auto rev issue though, since its morally wrong not to. Use KBB.com to check its value.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You jumped out of the car at 200 mph?

I think you mean RPM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
200 RPM is rather slow
Please reread my post. Once the car was in park it revved up to 200 mph which caused it to act as though it was going to bolt. Essentially it was even trying to self accelerate in park as it had earlier which almost got me killed. It was an extremely scary experience.

Last edited by Anonymous1133; 10-12-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
The best value I know of in my area is a Honda Accord. $2,000 due at signing and you will get a lease for $174/month for 36 months.

The best way to get the most for your Audi is to sell it privately. I would mention the auto rev issue though, since its morally wrong not to. Use KBB.com to check its value.
There is a Honda dealership in my area offering a 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic for 39 months at $159 w/ $0 down payment as well as a 2012 Honda Accord LX Sedan Automatic for 36 months at $179 w/ $0 down payment. The only fees would be:
1. $299 Dealer Doc Fee
2. NJ Tire Tax
3. 1st month payment
4. State Sales tax
5. DMV Fees
6. Bank Acquisition Fees

If you could estimate, how much do you think the aforementioned fees would be in total?

Last edited by Anonymous1133; 10-12-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 05:18 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,040,007 times
Quote:
There is a Honda dealership in my area offering a 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan Automatic for 39 months at $159 w/ $0 down payment as well as a 2012 Honda Accord LX Sedan Automatic for 36 months at $179 w/ $0 down payment. The only fees would be:
1. $299 Dealer Doc Fee
2. NJ Tire Tax
3. 1st month payment
4. State Sales tax
5. DMV Fees
6. Bank Acquisition Fees

If you could estimate, how much do you think the aforementioned fees would be in total?

easiest thing to do is email one or more of the dealers in your area; they should be able to quote those types of costs since they are std fees but they will vary by market (hard for us in other cities/states to give you those prices).

Also check and make sure the miles allowed per year fall into what you drive so you dont get nailed at the end of the term

Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 PM

998 posts, read 1,217,103 times
Quote:
Please reread my post. Once the car was in park it revved up to 200 mph which caused it to act as though it was going to bolt. Essentially it was even trying to self accelerate in park as it had earlier which almost got me killed. It was an extremely scary experience.
How does a car go 200/mph in park? Were the tires spinning 200/mph while the car was wedged against a tree? The engine revving to 2000/rpm is plausible.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 AM

51,011 posts, read 36,707,535 times
I think he means rpms, give him a break.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM

881 posts, read 2,095,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think he means rpms, give him a break.
Why? @ 200 RPM the 1.8t will stall out.
Anyway, others are correct - generally one will get the most $$$ from a private sale, but be prepared to do the work. Frankly, though, an old A4 isn't worth much, esp. in the greater NYC area...
As to "cheapest to lease" - there are any number of good online resources, such as Edmunds.com, that will show most brand's leasing deals.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive