Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 07:43 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times

Advertisements

There was some discussion in another thread about Jeremy Mayfield being sought after by fans to be part of the SRX series next year. It got me thinking of who I would really like to see and here's a few I like.

These choices are probably the obvious choices and I know there are many more, but I'll just name a few.
  • Dale Jr and Clint Bower...since they are tied up with other networks, it's going to be hard NO for now until they leave broadcasting
  • Jeff Gordon. Although he's in a management role, should not preclude him from racing since Tony does it
  • Jimmy Johnson. Tied up with his Indy car team right now...it's not going that well sadly.
  • Robby Gordon. Super fun and aggressive driver.

There are a few more from NASCAR I could include, but I'll let everyone else chime in. Plus I'm sure there are few from other series as well. I pretty much just follow Cup cars so don't know other drivers as well. Scott Dixon comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 11:21 AM

17,611 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
There was some discussion in another thread about Jeremy Mayfield being sought after by fans to be part of the SRX series next year. It got me thinking of who I would really like to see and here's a few I like.

These choices are probably the obvious choices and I know there are many more, but I'll just name a few.
  • Dale Jr and Clint Bower...since they are tied up with other networks, it's going to be hard NO for now until they leave broadcasting
  • Jeff Gordon. Although he's in a management role, should not preclude him from racing since Tony does it
  • Jimmy Johnson. Tied up with his Indy car team right now...it's not going that well sadly.
  • Robby Gordon. Super fun and aggressive driver.

There are a few more from NASCAR I could include, but I'll let everyone else chime in. Plus I'm sure there are few from other series as well. I pretty much just follow Cup cars so don't know other drivers as well. Scott Dixon comes to mind.

You add those people, then you're taking spots for the locals and the guys from other series.

Now, admittedly.. Robby Gordon would be a hoot and I'd love to see him in there.

But, I prefer to see guys who just love to race. And.. Robby fits that bill.. I'm not really sure about any of the others, save for Bowyer.

But, I don't want to lose the "Original IROC" feel of this.. Where you have people from all disciplines racing against each other. IROC turned into basically just NASCAR drivers and.. that's alot of why it went under.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:31 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,831,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You add those people, then you're taking spots for the locals and the guys from other series.

Now, admittedly.. Robby Gordon would be a hoot and I'd love to see him in there.

But, I prefer to see guys who just love to race. And.. Robby fits that bill.. I'm not really sure about any of the others, save for Bowyer.

But, I don't want to lose the "Original IROC" feel of this.. Where you have people from all disciplines racing against each other. IROC turned into basically just NASCAR drivers and.. that's alot of why it went under.
Agreed ! I said from the beginning they should get Robbie Gordon,( not sure if there is bad blood between him and Tony ). Dale Jr would be good if for nothing else the exposure and ratings, more eyeballs. I know Shrader is actually working with them as far car setups and testing, don't know why he isn't driving one. Get Sterling Marlin in one now and then. I think Willy T Ribbs has had his moment time to get some body else in there.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Agreed ! I said from the beginning they should get Robbie Gordon,( not sure if there is bad blood between him and Tony ). Dale Jr would be good if for nothing else the exposure and ratings, more eyeballs. I know Shrader is actually working with them as far car setups and testing, don't know why he isn't driving one. Get Sterling Marlin in one now and then. I think Willy T Ribbs has had his moment time to get some body else in there.

if you're going for diversity, reach out to Bill Lester. Ribbs was never that great a driver. Lester wasn't either, but at least Lester has more recent experience.

Sterling, if he's interested, absolutely. Love to see Schrader in one, but he probably doesn't have time to do it with all his other racing he's doing.

Bobby's still doing a good amount of racing.. he ran the Euro series a couple of years, been running late models.. that kind of thing.

Find Harry Gant and knock the dust off him.. Love to see him run one. Maybe not a regular thing, where he runs all of them, but if they're up around North Carolina.. I'd love to see him run one more time.

Dave Marcis.. You run one up in Wisconsin somewhere, gotta put him in.

I don't want this to just be an 'old timers' series, either.. But, I like that they're keeping some spots open. Hell.. AJ Foyt. You know Tony's already asked him.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:48 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post

I'd like to see Sammy Swindell and/or Steve Kinser, or for a little trip to the dark side: Gary Balough.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:49 AM

9,520 posts, read 9,836,609 times
I agree with some diversity and not being all NASCAR. I was hoping to add a few more cars to the field and maybe drop a few drivers....(Michael Waltrip?). Maybe Bill Elliot can give up his seat. Love the guy, but this is tough on him at his age.

It's really cool having the local drivers in there, must keep that.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd like to see Sammy Swindell and/or Steve Kinser, or for a little trip to the dark side: Gary Balough.

Jesus.. lol.. I thought Balough was dead. I had to look him up.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I agree with some diversity and not being all NASCAR. I was hoping to add a few more cars to the field and maybe drop a few drivers....(Michael Waltrip?). Maybe Bill Elliot can give up his seat. Love the guy, but this is tough on him at his age.

It's really cool having the local drivers in there, must keep that.

I couldn't agree more strongly!

Old 07-29-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Jesus.. lol.. I thought Balough was dead. I had to look him up.

I didn't realize he's as old as he is (73) but a reported 1,000+ short track wins is nothing to sneeze at.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I didn't realize he's as old as he is (73) but a reported 1,000+ short track wins is nothing to sneeze at.

The cocaine wasn't, either.

He is a fascinating story.. One that's been swept pretty well under the rug. But I honestly thought he had passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing