Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:39 AM

774 posts, read 1,420,398 times

Advertisements

Ricky Craven has a column on Yahoo Sports about the tire and not wanting to have competitive companies saying it wouldn't be safe. And he was really dissing Tony Stewart for his comments after last Sundays race.
And in response to an article by Jerry Bonkowski a guy wrote in with the following comment, which I found interesting. I knew where the toyota's were manufactured but did not know about the others.
"Jerry, in your list of reasons that Sunday’s win is still All-American despite being a Toyota victory, you missed a biggie: the Camry is the only of NASCAR’s four cars with an American plant. The Dodge Charger is made in Brampton, Ontario; the Ford Fusion is made in Hermosillo, Mexico; and the Chevy Impala is made in Oshawa, Ontario."
I hope they get the tire issue worked out for this weekend's race at Bristol. It is always a great race to watch. Jimmie Johnson has the pole, Kyle Busch is starting 22nd.
This will also be Dale Jarrett's final race. Good luck to him.. It would be nice to see him win his final race. He is going to be in the broadcast booth after this.
Let's have a clean, safe race.........
Gentlemen Start your Engines!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:06 AM

I noticed towards the end of the race Dale Jarrett ran around the track on the apron. Guess he wanted to make sure he finished without getting spun out!

Too bad for Tony Stewart, he ran a heck of a race. Even though I am not a Stewart fan, I felt bad for him getting spun out that way.

No race next Sunday ....so Nascar withdrawals till the next race.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM

1,999 posts, read 5,001,543 times
Default What?

What is a Boogity boogity boogity?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:34 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,261,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post

....so Nascar withdrawals till the next race.
I am already in withdrawal. I am one of those that watches practice, qualifying, pretty much anything they will air. Drives my husband crazy. Can't belive I married a non race fan........

Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,602,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
What is a Boogity boogity boogity?
"Boogity, boogity, boogity" is a famous quote from Darrell Waltrip (DW). At the start of the race, he has used that famous quote many times. It has become his trademark phrase. According to Wikipedia, he decided to use that phrase instead of "green, green, green," back when he was driving stock cars on the NASCAR circuit. Here's the quote from Wikipedia:

As the cars take the green flag to start each race, Waltrip shouts "Boogity Boogity Boogity!" (sometimes also including "Lets Go Racing Boys!"), is a nonsense phrase that has become his trademark in recent years. (The phrase appears in the 1960 doo *** parody "Who Put the Bomp" by Barry Mann.) The story Waltrip has told about this is that, as a driver, he got tired of hearing his spotter or crew chief say "green, green, green" at the start of every race and wanted to hear something more original.

In the unfortunate finish of the Daytona 500 in 2001, when Dale Earnhart died, DW was announcing his first race as his little brother Michael crossed the finish line to win the race. It was a short time later that the world learned that Dale Earnhart did not survive the wreck on the final lap of that race. I'm not sure if he used his trademark phrase at the beginning of that race, though.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I am already in withdrawal. I am one of those that watches practice, qualifying, pretty much anything they will air. Drives my husband crazy. Can't belive I married a non race fan........

I am with you. I would watch everything too, but we do not have cable or a dish, just an antenna.
I have been married 3 times. Divorced once, widowed once and now remarried, None of my husbands have been sports fans. I have gotten my current hubby interested in Nascar, but, don't think he would like sitting through practice, qualifying and all that. He actually will watch football and some baseball with me too.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
I am with you. I would watch everything too, but we do not have cable or a dish, just an antenna.
I have been married 3 times. Divorced once, widowed once and now remarried, None of my husbands have been sports fans. I have gotten my current hubby interested in Nascar, but, don't think he would like sitting through practice, qualifying and all that. He actually will watch football and some baseball with me too.
Try taking him to your local track, then get him back into the pits after the race. Have him talk with a few of the drivers and team members. After he does this, get him out there and do it all over again. As he gets to know the people in the cars and on the teams, he will start to choose his favorites. As he does this, he will naturally become more interested in how they are doing, and will want to see the whole scene, not just the race at the end of the night/weekend. This is how I became interested in the sport, except the drivers I connected with were from my high school, or were neighbors of mine. Some of them are still racing, but I've become involved with some other drivers and teams, too.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:33 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,024,661 times
I think NASCAR is like any other sport. If you don't know the teams, drivers, history and rules of the game, it would be boring. I can't maintain more than just a passing interest in football, baseball and basketball for that same reason.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I think NASCAR is like any other sport. If you don't know the teams, drivers, history and rules of the game, it would be boring. I can't maintain more than just a passing interest in football, baseball and basketball for that same reason.
I must say I agree with what you are saying. I have a hard time following any "professional" sport, because I don't know the players, teams, drivers, rules, history, statistics, etc. I have followed some "amateur" sports more closely, and become much more involved in them. One of these amateur sports is the SRL "Southwest Tour" that took the place of the NASCAR Elite Division Southwest Series. Because I know a few of the drivers, I follow it pretty closely.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Tony Stewart recently raised $125,000. for the Victory Junction Gang Camp by having his "very hairy" back waxed. Way to go Tony. But, guys, would you do that? I mean that had to hurt like you know what. As a woman I won't even wax. I hate pain.

Back to racing this weekend at Martinsville. Last year's winner was Jimmie Johnson. He isn't having a great start this year (which is fine with me).

Any guesses as to this weeks winner? I am going with Kyle Busch or Dale, Jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing