Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2024, 06:18 AM

570 posts, read 508,174 times

Advertisements

I notice that traveling from Perth to Asia is both cheaper and faster compared to Melbourne and Sydney. However, Melbourne and Sydney offer more international flight options, including destinations in Asia, the South Pacific, USA, and South America. Since I value easy travel, like what I experience living in London, accessibility to go overseas is crucial, so I would like to know which city in Oz is the best for it. Another thing to consider is accessibility to the airport, in London, most airports are quite far away, except for City Airport. I recall that leaving from Sydney Airport was very convenient. Melbourne doesn’t have a rail link to the airport. Perth and brisbane have their airport stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 02:18 AM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Rather obvious I'd have thought with Sydney having the most overseas connections and best for The States/ South America, Pacific.

Perth best for South East Asia and closest to Europe . But really if international travel is so important a consideration, Australia may not be best suited .

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Darwin is closest to Asia with daily flights to Singapore and, I think, Bali. Cairns also has a lot of flights to Asia and used to have a milk-run Continental flight to Hawaii via Guam and Palau, iirc. But yeah, Sydney has all the flights. Nothing is really close though.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Well Darwin does offer flights to Dilli, (quite an unusual destination) Timor Leste. Bit limited international otherwise with only Bali and Singapore available. But as Singapore is a hub to much of the world, not sure how much it really matters.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well Darwin does offer flights to Dilli, (quite an unusual destination) Timor Leste. Bit limited international otherwise with only Bali and Singapore available. But as Singapore is a hub to much of the world, not sure how much it really matters.
It would probably become a bit of pain in the arse having to transit through Singapore every time you want to get to SE Asia. Cairns has a fair few more options though: Flights to Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai and the Paris of the south Port Moresby.

Of course you do have to live in Cairns which would get pretty boring quickly.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
It would probably become a bit of pain in the arse having to transit through Singapore every time you want to get to SE Asia. Cairns has a fair few more options though: Flights to Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai and the Paris of the south Port Moresby.

Of course you do have to live in Cairns which would get pretty boring quickly.
Cairns can be that way inclined but then so can Perth on another level. For some one that enjoys regular travel probably not really the country to be based in. Never heard Port Moresby termed the Paris of the South? That would require some marketing genius. Probably better to allow Noumea to retain the title solely?

Old Today, 01:18 AM

266 posts, read 259,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Never heard Port Moresby termed the Paris of the South?
Possibly a bit of sarcasm.

Old Today, 02:01 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Again it Sydney - by a long way.

Brisbane has direct flights to the Soloman Islands, Nauru, and Lugaville New Calidonia, which are exclusive to the the city (I think), all up Brisbane would certainly rival Sydney as far as destinations in the the pacific ocean are concerned.

The Air Train to Brisbane International has gotten better now that the underground section in central Brisbane is near completion (its Gone from 30 min to 15 min Departure Intervals). It wont be long before you can go all the way from Brisbane International to the Gold Coast International aiport by Train, (You will have change to the Gold Coast Light rail system at the end of the main line).

Brisbane is unique in some regards in that their is another international airport about with its own set of unique destinations 90km away (That will change when Badgerys Creek is up and running), indeed GC international may actually overtake Adelaide to the the 5th busiest international airport in the country before Badgerys Creek is finished .

Last edited by danielsa1775; Today at 02:58 AM..

Old Today, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Possibly a bit of sarcasm.
I did gather that. Hence my reply.

Old Today, 02:41 AM

Although Perth only city to fly non stop to London and to Rome. I think Paris is soon to be added as well? Not sure if too long though for me. A stop over though taxing in some ways, does offer a bit of respite from sitting on a plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand