Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 06:05 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

As a longtime resident of southern California, we see high-speed chases (where the police chases a criminal) where the perp goes over 125 km/hr and sometimes for hours at a time. We see large mobs of ghetto-fabulous folks smashing windows of stores out and stealing large quantities of goods. We see robberies carried out in broad daylight where store employees are instructed not to intervene.

How common is this in Australia? New Zealand?

I have a hunch as to what the answer is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 11:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 720,410 times
Common in Alice Springs Tennant Creek, Katherine and Darwin nowadays ( Northern territory of AU )
The Govt has introduced youth curfews between 6.00pm-6.00am in a bid to de escalate the problems... oh and police officers are stationed outside take away liquor outlets in Alice Springs to try and control public drunkeness.

Old 04-11-2024, 11:19 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
As a longtime resident of southern California, we see high-speed chases (where the police chases a criminal) where the perp goes over 125 km/hr and sometimes for hours at a time. We see large mobs of ghetto-fabulous folks smashing windows of stores out and stealing large quantities of goods. We see robberies carried out in broad daylight where store employees are instructed not to intervene.

How common is this in Australia? New Zealand?

I have a hunch as to what the answer is
The smash and grab thing has been recent phenomenon in NZ. It's basically unheard of in Australia with perhaps the exception of some more remote areas with alcohol issues. High speed police chases are not generally a thing. The rules are something like this...

Quote:
Police must terminate a pursuit if:

There is no urgent need to apprehend the vehicle where:
– Apprehending the suspect is necessary to prevent a serious risk to public health/safety; and/or

– A criminal offence has been or is about to be committed which involves serious injury to a person.

If there is a feasible alternative means to apprehending the suspect vehicle; and
If the overall harm to the public is greater than the harm the pursuit is attempting to prevent.
There has been a bit of an issue with youths breaking into houses and stealing luxury cars from garages to joyride and post on social media. I live in what could be described as an "upmarket" area and this seems to be happening more frequently over the last few years.

I've lived in LA and NY, Sydney is ridiculously safe compared to those two. The lack of petty crime is noticeable. I've lived in London too, where things get "nicked" all the time (sitting at a bar someone "nicks" your phone etc). That sort of thing just doesn't happen here or at least not to the degree it does in many other cities around the world.

I also lived in Brazil for a short while, a place you don't even want to get your phone out. Lol.

Last edited by BCC_1; 04-11-2024 at 11:29 PM..

Old 04-12-2024, 07:32 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Not aware of smash and grabs here in Perth, but crime is on the rise. Our local state newspaper referred to Perth in front page headlines a few weeks ago as 'Stab City' , owing to the growing number of knife crimes. The massive drug problem would be fair to say, playing a large part in proceedings. But there appears a growing disrespect for police and laws as well.

Old 04-12-2024, 11:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
The smash and grab thing has been recent phenomenon in NZ. It's basically unheard of in Australia with perhaps the exception of some more remote areas with alcohol issues. High speed police chases are not generally a thing. The rules are something like this...

There has been a bit of an issue with youths breaking into houses and stealing luxury cars from garages to joyride and post on social media. I live in what could be described as an "upmarket" area and this seems to be happening more frequently over the last few years.

I've lived in LA and NY, Sydney is ridiculously safe compared to those two. The lack of petty crime is noticeable. I've lived in London too, where things get "nicked" all the time (sitting at a bar someone "nicks" your phone etc). That sort of thing just doesn't happen here or at least not to the degree it does in many other cities around the world.

I also lived in Brazil for a short while, a place you don't even want to get your phone out. Lol.
Yes, my daughter lives in an area where there were a few luxury cars being stolen. Basically as people had not seen any need to lock the doors of their houses at night. Being a shortage of garages (daughter’s single garage contains bikes, junk and everything but a car) some luxury cars were being left outside.

Safe here in Sydney but not as safe as Japan and Taiwan. I would not leave my phone to reserve a table in a cafe and then disappear to order, as is done there. I leave something less valuable.

Old 04-13-2024, 01:42 AM

Was safe. Following the news from Bondi Junction. Horrific.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Yeah the missus spent a couple of hours locked inside a store. I think I was more scared not being able to do anything at home than she was.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Yeah the missus spent a couple of hours locked inside a store. I think I was more scared not being able to do anything at home than she was.
So glad she was ok. So frightening. Daughter texted us at 4 30, had had all the helicopters overhead and found out what was happening.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:36 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Deserves a thread of it's own. Has the perp been named.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:58 AM

Quote:
So glad she was ok. So frightening. Daughter texted us at 4 30, had had all the helicopters overhead and found out what was happening.
There's a lot of "interesting characters" that hang around the non-Westfield part of Bondi Junction, especially around Eastgate, drinking and arguing and generally looking quite mentally unstable. He looks like one of them. When I saw his face on the news I thought I had seen him around BJ. Yesterday I was walking through BJ going to the bank and I thought to myself "it's amazing none of these weirdos has stabbed someone."

Bondi Junction has always been a bit like that. Or at least since I can remember.

Anyway, I walked the dogs up to BJ because I couldn't sit still at home, and the car was in the carpark at Westfield, and we walked home together and have just had a quiet night on the couch. Missus seems to be OK.

Terrible for the families of the people who lost their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand