Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 05:03 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,952,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I doubt it. Fentanyl is an opioid that is hundreds of times more potent than heroin – it was created to provide breakthrough pain relief for people with terminal illness who had developed a tolerance to morphine and other powerful opioids.

America was primed for fentanyl because they had doctors handing out oxycodone for anything more serious than a headache and many people addicted to opioids. Oxycodone was the gateway drug to fentanyl. If you expose a bunch of meth addicts to even a small dose of fentanyl they are a good chance of dying before an ambulance with naltrexone has time to turn up.

Fentanyl is a terrible drug. Absolutely catastrophic what it does to people.
No doubt there are corrupt as well as over prescribing doctors but a little light reading put out by The House Select Committee (American) may help through some light for those with any lingering doubts, with regards just how vulnerable Australia is likely to be and not a matter of if it takes hold but more likely when.

The House Select Committee on the CCP released a report on the matter indicating how China has been funding tax breaks to fentanyl exporters since at least 2018.

Not surprising that The States would be selected as a prime early destination, having a large population, wealthy, with a large potential drug population and Chinese population in place.

Former Attorney General Bill Barr testified that he certainly knew that China was/is the source of fentanyl.

Not sure how anyone could arrive at a conclusion that Australia would be any different, just lagging behind North America . Australia due to locality and ease of bringing drugs into this nation as well as cartels in place can surely be clearly in the firing line.

I'm not sure if it was Naloxone (but that is the usual drug used) that was mentioned , but the source would likely be in a position to have some idea what is going on, but true, have not read anything in the media/on line about it. It may possibly be in the pipe line , ready in the advent it floods these shores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 06:46 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Not sure how anyone could arrive at a conclusion that Australia would be any different, just lagging behind North America .

The most glaringly obvious reason is it's not here in any substantive way. If there was a market for it it would already be here, as you point out it's not exactly hard to get drugs across the border – especially fentanyl.

It's the same reason there's no demand for oxy, Australians want uppers not downers: Coke, meth and pingers.

And a by-product of the American health system is overprescribing opioids.

ETA: OTOH, if it did turn up we'd have pill testing anywhere and everywhere.

Last edited by BCC_1; 04-17-2024 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-17-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
The most glaringly obvious reason is it's not here in any substantive way. If there was a market for it it would already be here, as you point out it's not exactly hard to get drugs across the border – especially fentanyl.

It's the same reason there's no demand for oxy, Australians want uppers not downers: Coke, meth and pingers.

And a by-product of the American health system is overprescribing opioids.

ETA: OTOH, if it did turn up we'd have pill testing anywhere and everywhere.
I suspect that the present business model is working very well. The mass introduction of a drug like Fentanyl, risks up turning the apple cart possibly for too little real gain. I mean thousands of deaths just might entice an outcry from segments of the population. Especially when it impacts their families and friends.

Australians love their drugs. Plenty out there ready to obliged that obsession. Making considerable lucre in the process. I guess another factor would be the collapse in the price of meth and it becomes more in line with overseas prices.

But our position in the world, does make us most vulnerable to any drug where profit can be sourced.

Old 04-17-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I suspect that the present business model is working very well. The mass introduction of a drug like Fentanyl, risks up turning the apple cart possibly for too little real gain. I mean thousands of deaths just might entice an outcry from segments of the population. Especially when it impacts their families and friends.
I'd suggest it probably has more to do with not wanting to kill your customers when you can take every cent they have by feeding their addiction.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'd suggest it probably has more to do with not wanting to kill your customers when you can take every cent they have by feeding their addiction.
A fair enough conclusion. Although I'd suggest that combined with the bad publicity that would likely eventuate with a death rate equaling North America on a per capita basis, it may just perhaps stir even the most apathetic into a form of consciousness resulting in critique of sorts that they are unable to muster with the methamphetamine epidemic.? Perhaps not?

Still it did not stop fentanyl getting out of control in The US, even with meth everywhere. . One may conclude with 200 deaths a day, all stops would be removed to tackle that outrage.

Meth remains a big issue in The States and fentanyl just further complicates matters.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:22 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Are we not seeing the result of the off shoots of the kids of the 'boomer' generation (i.e. the grandkids of the boomers) when respect and common decency began to decline? Curfews and more police patrols, etc. will not make a shred of difference in attempts to harness a horse that has already bolted. To really brighten things up, just imagine a community consisting of the future kids of the kids of today. We are doomed!

Old 04-19-2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Are we not seeing the result of the off shoots of the kids of the 'boomer' generation (i.e. the grandkids of the boomers) when respect and common decency began to decline? Curfews and more police patrols, etc. will not make a shred of difference in attempts to harness a horse that has already bolted. To really brighten things up, just imagine a community consisting of the future kids of the kids of today. We are doomed!
Ok, boomer.

Old 04-19-2024, 12:15 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Ok, boomer.
That's right. And . . .?

Old 04-19-2024, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Every generation thought the same. Although with on line activity replacing lived life, perhaps the biggest challenge will prove to be loneliness.

But The Boomers were for the most part the coolest generation. Just a look at the present offerings available to the present generation and wow. Just wow , no wonder many feel 'frustrated'.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Perhaps if government and those with the power to influence, acted accordingly, not in it for self fulfillment, actually led by example, in following the laws enacted, things may be different.

In a climate of greed, corruption, lies and get rich or miss out at close to any cost , it is hard to blame the young for any lack of moral accountability due to the climate around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand