Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 02:35 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I wonder. Could that have something to do with the record turbo immigration which has become the norm ?
Immigration would have very little to do with it. Population growth is the number that matters. So while Immigration was lower years ago than today Australian families were also larger meaning the population growth was anywhere from 1-2% for the most part. Today Australian families have gotten smaller due to having less kids but population growth is still flowing along the same level largely because immigration has been raised to compensate for this. It's unusually high this year but it won't last, this largely made up for the borders being closed anyway. Therefore if the population is growing at a similar level it is clearly something else. Most likely the reality that 1/4 acre blocks in city suburbs just isn't viable if one wants to have a largely populated city with easy access to city amenities. The urban sprawl just can't go on forever. Also greedy developers

Though I did notice even in smaller Western Australian cities and towns such as Bunbury that New suburbs had fairly smaller block sizes. Again developers are getting greedier

Another thing is that Australian houses have overtaken the US as being the largest in the world so while block sizes are getting smaller houses are getting bigger leaving even less room for tall, thick vegetation surrounding them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 03:15 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Immigration would have very little to do with it. Population growth is the number that matters. So while Immigration was lower years ago than today Australian families were also larger meaning the population growth was anywhere from 1-2% for the most part. Today Australian families have gotten smaller due to having less kids but population growth is still flowing along the same level largely because immigration has been raised to compensate for this. It's unusually high this year but it won't last, this largely made up for the borders being closed anyway. Therefore if the population is growing at a similar level it is clearly something else. Most likely the reality that 1/4 acre blocks in city suburbs just isn't viable if one wants to have a largely populated city with easy access to city amenities. The urban sprawl just can't go on forever. Also greedy developers

Though I did notice even in smaller Western Australian cities and towns such as Bunbury that New suburbs had fairly smaller block sizes. Again developers are getting greedier

Another thing is that Australian houses have overtaken the US as being the largest in the world so while block sizes are getting smaller houses are getting bigger leaving even less room for tall, thick vegetation surrounding them
We are getting away from the subject of winter. I'll just add a bit in answer to you. Yes natural birth rate has declined . It has in many countries. Australia is sixth in women in a relationship child free and aged in forties. (Spain is first) The thing being is that it is hard to afford kids these days with house prices going out of reach of many. As I have noted previously. Immigration is at best a short term possible solution. Migrants usually fall into line in the next generation and follow local norms. Hence ever more older people and greater problems caring for them.

But back on subject. I grew up in a very large, convict built house in WA's Great South. It was freezing cold in winter . No central heating. A constant fire in the kitchen in the stove that kept that room toasty warm all day. At night a fire in the lounge room ensured that room was very warm for listening to music or watching TV.
Nothing in the bedrooms or other rooms and seemed to get by quite okay. I guess it was the time. All very different most likely today.

Old 09-26-2023, 04:05 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
We are getting away from the subject of winter. I'll just add a bit in answer to you. Yes natural birth rate has declined . It has in many countries. Australia is sixth in women in a relationship child free and aged in forties. (Spain is first) The thing being is that it is hard to afford kids these days with house prices going out of reach of many. As I have noted previously. Immigration is at best a short term possible solution. Migrants usually fall into line in the next generation and follow local norms. Hence ever more older people and greater problems caring for them.

But back on subject. I grew up in a very large, convict built house in WA's Great South. It was freezing cold in winter . No central heating. A constant fire in the kitchen in the stove that kept that room toasty warm all day. At night a fire in the lounge room ensured that room was very warm for listening to music or watching TV.
Nothing in the bedrooms or other rooms and seemed to get by quite okay. I guess it was the time. All very different most likely today.
I was simply discussing that because Australia's population is growing at a similar rate for decades then the size of house blocks preventing large and thick vegetation from being grown to help keep suburbs cooler can't be blamed on turbo population growth. It's more likely done to prevent the current urban spawl of Australian city metro areas by creating higher density living. Also with developers getting greedy. The downside Is that we can end up creating micro climates in these high dense areas if we don't have enough greenery to create enough shade and absorb the heat.

Also your experience of the home you grew up in is a very common experience of those who live in old and poorly insulated housing In the south Island of New Zealand. I don't see myself as someone who's precious at all but I have to say it was like going backward in time living in a house where I would wake up in the morning and see my breath In bed on a freezing cold morning. By they way this was in a double brick house in Christchurch that at the time was worth over $900,000. It would be worth well over a million dollars now. Not a chance would I pay anything close to this lol

Old 09-26-2023, 01:18 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I was simply discussing that because Australia's population is growing at a similar rate for decades then the size of house blocks preventing large and thick vegetation from being grown to help keep suburbs cooler can't be blamed on turbo population growth. It's more likely done to prevent the current urban spawl of Australian city metro areas by creating higher density living. Also with developers getting greedy. The downside Is that we can end up creating micro climates in these high dense areas if we don't have enough greenery to create enough shade and absorb the heat.

Also your experience of the home you grew up in is a very common experience of those who live in old and poorly insulated housing In the south Island of New Zealand. I don't see myself as someone who's precious at all but I have to say it was like going backward in time living in a house where I would wake up in the morning and see my breath In bed on a freezing cold morning. By they way this was in a double brick house in Christchurch that at the time was worth over $900,000. It would be worth well over a million dollars now. Not a chance would I pay anything close to this lol
The worst houses imo, are those built from about the late 60s until the mid 80s - little or no insulation, aluminium doors and windows, and so tightly sealed up that moisture doesn't escape,

The house I grew up in was built around 1900 and had numerous gaps and cracks then let you know when the wind was blowing hard - but it never had condensation on the windows after a cold night, even if the night was below freezing, and it's the condensation that causes the health problems.

The condensation is still a problem - much of my work involves working in houses, and at this time of the year, it's quite obvious that many folks (the poor ones) don't understand the connection between windows closed/curtains drawn during the day, and cold damp rooms at night.

Poverty is something you can smell - few things more depressing than working in a dampy mildew houses that smells of poverty and poor housekeeping.

Old 09-26-2023, 05:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
I wonder. Could that have something to do with the record turbo immigration which has become the norm ?
That style of development is the norm even in areas where there is little or no population growth, though.

I suspect most people just want large houses with multiple living areas, and are less interested in large yards they need to maintain. Large capacity heat pumps are so cheap to install and run, that they've become the "go to, don't think about it" way of "fixing" the issue of retained heat and lack of shade.

Old 09-26-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The worst houses imo, are those built from about the late 60s until the mid 80s - little or no insulation, aluminium doors and windows, and so tightly sealed up that moisture doesn't escape,

The house I grew up in was built around 1900 and had numerous gaps and cracks then let you know when the wind was blowing hard - but it never had condensation on the windows after a cold night, even if the night was below freezing, and it's the condensation that causes the health problems.

The condensation is still a problem - much of my work involves working in houses, and at this time of the year, it's quite obvious that many folks (the poor ones) don't understand the connection between windows closed/curtains drawn during the day, and cold damp rooms at night.

Poverty is something you can smell - few things more depressing than working in a dampy mildew houses that smells of poverty and poor housekeeping.
Before the 90's though a lot of the insulation consisted of asbestos. Only ceased completely in Australia a few decades back. Quite common until the eighties at least.

Worst thing IMO is bathrooms without a window. Simply asking for trouble. Hence not solely those living in poverty, but over priced, poorly built places as well.

The house I grew up in was as solid as a rock. Built in 19th century. On a lot of land and built by convicts. It was purchased by a petroleum company that in time knocked it down to build storage tanks. I dare say it would have been heritage listed and not allowed today.

But I do recall mould was an issue in the early days but not later. It was a damp climate but somehow the issue seemed to have been resolved.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:46 PM

I suspect the main complaint with regards to winter would be less to do. Australian cities are not big on night life, and winter, the lack of sitting outdoors , be that at a bbq or outside dining or beer garden may appear less to do. Remove the beach and more people house bound for longer. Although hardly noticeable where I live where drawn curtains and silence are the norm.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:40 PM

420 posts, read 219,522 times
Quote:
I suspect the main complaint with regards to winter would be less to do. Australian cities are not big on night life, and winter, the lack of sitting outdoors , be that at a bbq or outside dining or beer garden may appear less to do. Remove the beach and more people house bound for longer. Although hardly noticeable where I live where drawn curtains and silence are the norm.
Melbourne has lots of nightlife and inside activities, it ain’t New York but it’s got much more happening at night then every other major Australian city combined.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veshyvonny View Post
Melbourne has lots of nightlife and inside activities, it ain’t New York but it’s got much more happening at night then every other major Australian city combined.
I've been there several times and agree. Not to the standard of some European cities, but best in Australia, plus enough to keep most occupied. Perhaps the tepid weather helps. People dress up more and the colder weather is more favourable to doing that.

Plenty of Melbourne and state Victorians moved over West over recent couple of years. Vic plates most common. Other attractions there though and definitely not for the night life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand