Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,456,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Artsyguy!!

You "went to south Austin twice"!!

Shoot, honey. You should have spent much more time here. No wonder you hate Austin. I have nearly 18 years in south Austin. I won't even live north of the river or west of Mopac.

You missed a LOT!

But inquiring minds want to know, was this when artsy guy lived here and couldn't get a date because there's no gayborhood and that's WHY he couldn't get a date? Or when he never lived here but visited his cousin here? Or when he went to school here? Or when he worked here and all his co-workers were prejudiced against him? Which of the mutually contradictory stories artsy guy tells about his vast experience with Austin that he bases his judgment of the city on does the two visits to South Austin fall into? And what PART of South Austin did he visit when he lived or visited or attended school here?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:47 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,238,813 times
I've found Austin to be remarkably UN-pretentious! The only thing that comes to mind is one time, at the Magnolia Cafe (south), I asked my waiter if he knew where something was. I don't remember what, but it was north somewhere. He sniffed and said he'd lived in Austin for 20 years and had never been north of the capitol building.

Um, and he was bragging! And in a very snooty way!!

I just looked at him and thought "What a sad little life you must lead."

Other than that, and the occasional "hipper than thou" bartender (who I like to disarm by being extra bubbly & sweet) on Red Rock, most people here are pretty down to earth. VERY much so!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,991,745 times
You are speaking in generalities. How does that help me or anybody reading? They want to know what isn't stuffy and uptight about the south Austin regions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
You mean, what goes on in South Austin besides an out of towner visiting a couple of stores? You'd have to do more than visit a couple of stores to find out.

A lot goes on in South Austin, especially 78704. It's the cultural hub of Austin. One could spend two weeks in Austin, never leave the 78704 zip code, and report back to friends at home that they had the time of their life and spent every day doing amazing and fun things.

Steve

Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,393,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are speaking in generalities. How does that help me or anybody reading? They want to know what isn't stuffy and uptight about the south Austin regions?
I've never once got the impression from reading any of your postings in the Austin forum that you're looking to be helped regarding information about the city. Rather, your postings are just scattershot negative statements about Austin, UT, its people, etc. All of which are your right to have and express, of course, but have any of your postings ever been asking for help in understanding Austin? And since you've said many times that you'd never come back here again, what help would you need and what are you really trying to understand anyway, when all you do is insult the city and its people?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,157,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
One could spend two weeks in Austin, never leave the 78704 zip code, and report back to friends at home that they had the time of their life and spent every day doing amazing and fun things.
Ok I'm going to call BS on this.

I'd really like to know what you'd do on vacation for two weeks in 78704-- or in Austin itself for two weeks. This is the type of hyperboyle that leaves many who come here disappointed. Besides some funky stores that have nothing I would ever purchase, and a few good restaurants what's the south side have besides a lot of overpriced-run down properties masquarading as some type of Bohemian enclave? Sorry-- Not into dirty and old.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM

mlassoff, you're painting w ith a broad brush there. Some folks could just as easily say, "Not into brand new and sterile". They're be no more, and no less, right than you are with that statement regarding "dirty and old".

Oh, and there's lots to do in 78704, if you are looking for it and don't want to be spoonfed your entertainment.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, and there's lots to do in 78704, if you are looking for it and don't want to be spoonfed your entertainment.
There's another options besides old and dirty and new and sterile. How about established neighborhoods like NW Hills, Rollingwood, Westlake Hills, etc... Filth is not virtuous.

So there's my answer. The two weeks of adventure in 78704 that Realtor Steve was referring to in his advertisment...err.. Post.. was looking for things to do... Cause I do like my entertainment spoonfed, I guess.. whatever the hell that means.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,008,973 times
Hey Mlassoff! I just noticed you live in the East now! Glad you made the move safely. How's Connecticut? You missed upper 90's and humidity here today! Any snow yet?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There's another options besides old and dirty and new and sterile. How about established neighborhoods like NW Hills, Rollingwood, Westlake Hills, etc... Filth is not virtuous.
See, you DID get my point! Those who characterize something that is not exactly like what they prefer (whether it be "old and dirty" or "new and sterile") are pretty much identical in attitude (and, dare I say it, pretentious in both cases).

I do notice that the neighborhoods that you mention above (that are quite lovely neighborhoods, by the way) all are for people above a certain price point. Could this perhaps be the real issue, that you don't like neighborhoods where the homes aren't above $350,000 and thus your neighbors don't make a whole lot of money and THAT is what you mean by "old and dirty"?

How much time DID you spend in 78704 before you went running back to Connecticutt, by the way?

We already know you hate Austin, and to say one couldn't find two weeks worth of things to do in Austin says a heck of a lot more about the speaker than it does about the city. My biggest problem is choosing between all the options and having to decide what to miss.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM

Default Since you asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I do notice that the neighborhoods that you mention above (that are quite lovely neighborhoods, by the way) all are for people above a certain price point. Could this perhaps be the real issue, that you don't like neighborhoods where the homes aren't above $350,000 and thus your neighbors don't make a whole lot of money and THAT is what you mean by "old and dirty"?

How much time DID you spend in 78704 before you went running back to Connecticutt, by the way?

My biggest problem is choosing between all the options and having to decide what to miss.
Since you asked...

I lived in Austin from 1992 - 2009. So I think my opinion can be considered educated.

I lived in 78704 for 18 months. I have no problem with houses less than $350.000 or above $350,000 if people mow their lawns, don't leave junk in their front yard, park in their driveways, etc. Why is a coffee shop with lousy coffee, old broken down furniture, and no parking in 78704 better than one that's clean, comfortable and convenient in 78759? It's preference. I'm simply stating what I prefer.

Ok--So about all these options--- Realtor Steve said that you could go on a two week vacation of constant and never-ending adventure in 78704. I just want someone to support that statement with telling me WHAT YOU WOULD ACTUALLY DO during those two weeks that is so adventure filled, besides "feeling cool sitting at Jo's on South Congress." Even if I gave you that one that still leaves two weeks, 6 days and 22 hours to fill with adventure.

So let's hear it... What are all these things you can do without leaving 78704? Or was it just more hyperbole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin