Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Yeah Colorado gets a lot of Texans and Californians.
When I was in colorado, I was told by Friends, that "Happiness, was a Texan going home, with an Okie under each arm"---I got a kick out of that one. But I did leave the two Okies there. Jokes on them now.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM

556 posts, read 1,564,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Word.

This topic is so beaten to death it's almost taken on the air of religious dogma:

My Father who art in Austin,
Hallowed be thy_______________

Sounds like the same argument 100 years ago when all "those people" from the South moved up North to take all of those dirty factory jobs to feed their families.

UNITED STATES OF F*CKING AMERICA. Get it?
YES!! I don't think it gets any better on this forum, anywhere, anytime. You have achieved the pinnacle!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,065,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
When I was in colorado, I was told by Friends, that "Happiness, was a Texan going home, with an Okie under each arm"---I got a kick out of that one. But I did leave the two Okies there. Jokes on them now.
I heard the reason some people in Colorado don't like Texans is because some Texans that go there are real arrogant about being from TX.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
I heard the reason some people in Colorado don't like Texans is because some Texans that go there are real arrogant about being from TX.
that may be true. It's darn hard to Humble, when yer tha Best. "God Bless Texas"

Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,067 times
I can't put my finger on it as to why it touches a nerve when people flood my home state ( TN) from some of these other states. Perhaps its because a lot of the states they come from, like Ohio, NJ, IN, and MI pretty much have nothing going for them and are places I'd personally not really want to visit ( IMHO) So here they come. Down to TN, NC and out to TX. Its like if it sucked so much up there... why did it take so long to move in the first place?

I realize I'm being highly cynical right now. I admit it. But its like every day I come on here or other forums, you can almost bet there's going to be people from those same limited number of states moving, likely because those states suck economically. It makes a really sad statement about our country. The Midwest is going to be a burnt-out hole soon and nobody will live there. So what's going to happen to the areas they're moving to? Head out to Round Rock. That's what. Except multiply it by 20x's.

The thing is that this is nothing new. Its been happening for the better part of 100 years, even more so post WW2. Eventually Americans will reach a day where they can't realistically have just a so-so job that pays for a 3-4 bedroom house with 2 cars in the garage and 2-3 kids. The day will come when we're going to have to be like the majority of the world and deal the cards that we're dealt. As it is now, if you don't own those items above, its a sacrilege and we'll go to extremes to get them- such as moving across the country to yet another touted refuge for the middle class.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,280 times
Coming from someone who lived in Denton for 3 years, then Dallas, then Corinth and Lake Dallas, I can say that Austin and DFW is about as different as Mao and Gandhi.
After my divorce, I moved to Austin, & it felt like a weight had been lifted. I think the main difference between Austin and Dallas is the stress level. People here in Austin have a more positive "energy" and view of the world, they get out more, exercise more, just love life and slow down to enjoy it.. In Dallas, people were almost ALWAYS angry or stressed at something. I felt the "need" to go out and buy a 2008 Mercedes SL500, live up to the "standards" of a big house and nice things. It was a fast paced lifestyle, no doubt, and Austin is the great balance to that. I got rid of the Nazi Wagon in return for a 2010 Scion xB, and had enough to pay off some bills!
I had already lived in Austin back in 2002 till about 2004, for my schooling, and I knew I'd always be back.
Is there pretentiousness in Austin? Sure, that's everywhere. It isn't really about where you live or the people around you, it's what you choose to be around and how you live your life. Make the right choices, and the universe will reward you. What's the right choice? That's the point, no one knows..... Regards from my corner of the interwebz.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I can't put my finger on it as to why it touches a nerve when people flood my home state ( TN) from some of these other states. Perhaps its because a lot of the states they come from, like Ohio, NJ, IN, and MI pretty much have nothing going for them and are places I'd personally not really want to visit ( IMHO) So here they come. Down to TN, NC and out to TX. Its like if it sucked so much up there... why did it take so long to move in the first place?

I realize I'm being highly cynical right now. I admit it. But its like every day I come on here or other forums, you can almost bet there's going to be people from those same limited number of states moving, likely because those states suck economically. It makes a really sad statement about our country. The Midwest is going to be a burnt-out hole soon and nobody will live there. So what's going to happen to the areas they're moving to? Head out to Round Rock. That's what. Except multiply it by 20x's.

The thing is that this is nothing new. Its been happening for the better part of 100 years, even more so post WW2. Eventually Americans will reach a day where they can't realistically have just a so-so job that pays for a 3-4 bedroom house with 2 cars in the garage and 2-3 kids. The day will come when we're going to have to be like the majority of the world and deal the cards that we're dealt. As it is now, if you don't own those items above, its a sacrilege and we'll go to extremes to get them- such as moving across the country to yet another touted refuge for the middle class.
Soooo... what you're saying is that people should just live in their crappy state where they can't get a job and "nothing's going on" even though it's perfectly legal and acceptable for anyone to move around the country?

Sorry, it just drives me nuts when people think that just because they happen to live somewhere great, they feel this sense of entitlement.

Maybe an abused woman should just stay with her husband too? I mean, those were the cards she was dealt and she should just accept it?

I know I'm reaching here, heh.

I'll agree with you that it IS a sad statement about America. But we can't blame anyone for wanting a better life for themselves & their families. That's kinda what this country was built upon!

Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,003,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post

I realize I'm being highly cynical right now. I admit it. But its like every day I come on here or other forums, you can almost bet there's going to be people from those same limited number of states moving, likely because those states suck economically.

Eventually Americans will reach a day where they can't realistically have just a so-so job that pays for a 3-4 bedroom house with 2 cars in the garage and 2-3 kids. The day will come when we're going to have to be like the majority of the world and deal the cards that we're dealt. As it is now, if you don't own those items above, its a sacrilege and we'll go to extremes to get them- such as moving across the country to yet another touted refuge for the middle class.

Sorry, but your perspective is off base. Many people do not move here because they want MORE. Many people move here to SURVIVE. AND, the reason some of us stayed where we were is because the job PROMISED it would be there, "you're secure with us for at least another 5 years." Yah right...until they found the lowest priced outsourcing place in China, India, or wherever it is they find the lowest price for work.

SO, when a carrot is held out to the worker here, (with the promise of staying and a threat of leaving if they don't "measure up" then the worker stays put). AFTERALL, many people have mortgages, kids in school, settled in the area.

Many of us ARE dealing with the "cards that are dealt us". The U.S. companies MOVED TO ANOTHER COUNTRY. Which part of that are you not gettin?

Do you know how many workers today are STILL under stress because the boss is telling them the job will go overseas if they don't work harder, work faster, work better. THEN, the job goes overseas anyway but they got the last drop of blood out of yah before they boot you out the door waving bye-bye sucker.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-20-2009 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: language

Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
This thread had wandered all over the place, eventually arriving somewhere between Politics and Other Controversies and General.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin