Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM

132 posts, read 463,042 times

Advertisements

The 11th annual, free city-wide rediscovery of Austin museums has been set for Sunday, September 14, 2008! You can take your family and friends to any or all of the museums below for FREE all day Sunday, 9-14-08.

Arthouse at the Jones Center
Austin Children's Museum
Austin Museum of Art - Downtown
Austin Museum of Art - Laguna Gloria
Austin Nature & Science Center
Austin Steam Train Association
Beverly S. Sheffield Education Center
(http://www.austinmuseums.org/beverly.html - broken link)Blanton Museum of Art
Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum
Butridge Gallery at the Dougherty Arts Center
(http://www.austinmuseums.org/butridge.html - broken link)Capitol Visitors Center
Center for American History, UT Austin
Elisabet Ney Museum
French Legation Museum
George Washington Carver Museum
German-Texan Heritage Society
Governor's Mansion
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum
Mexican American Cultural Center
Mexic-Arte Museum
Neill-Cochran House Museum
O. Henry Museum
Pioneer Farm
Republic of Texas Museum
Texas Capitol
Texas Folklife
Texas Memorial Museum
Texas Military Forces Museum
Texas Music Museum
Texas State Cemetery
Umlauf Sculpture Garden & Museum
Westcave Preserve
Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve
Women & Their Work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 AM

385 posts, read 1,248,731 times
Thank you for this post! I love free things and I've been wanting to see quite a few places on that list. Really appreciate it

Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM

47 posts, read 210,299 times
Thanks, that's great!

If you only had one free day (which we do), which of those on the list would you visit? We've only been to Bob Bullock Texas state museum.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM

132 posts, read 463,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinke View Post
Thanks, that's great!

If you only had one free day (which we do), which of those on the list would you visit? We've only been to Bob Bullock Texas state museum.
Actually, I've only been to Bob Bullock myself. I do really want to check out the French Legation, but probably only b/c my BF is French! Hopefully some other posters will chime in.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,884,175 times
What ages will be going?

The Blanton, Harry Ransom, and LBJ Library and museum are all within general walking distance of each other, all on the UT campus. However, they are always free and not interesting for kids.

The Capitol is nice, and kids would probably put up with it.

If you wanted to check out some hill country scenery, you could do Wild Basin and the Ladybird Wildflower Center in the same day.

I'd wager that the Governer's Mansion (listed) is probably not open since it burned down!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 PM

44 posts, read 270,687 times
If you have children they will like the Austin Nature and Science Museum, Tx Memorial Museum--our favorite, lots of cool dinosaurs. I enjoyed the French Legation, Blanton, Wildflower Center, and the Wild Basin--lots of walking.

We will be going out to the Umlauf Sculpture Garden, and the Mexican American Cultural Museum this year.

The Austin Children's Museum is on the list every year and it's never free. Call ahead of time before you get charged there fee of 5+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: