Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Austin: cost of living, crime rate, traffic, condos, apartment complex.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 110,541 times

Advertisements

Ok, so after much ado with scongress1234 on an Austin move, my fiance and I completed our first 5 day research trip to Austin in hopes of moving there in the near future. So for all those who are comptemplating a move to Austin here are MY reasons for/against a move to Austin.

To ALL the Austinites or however you refer to yourselves...I have lived in the Bronx, NY, Columbus, Ohio and several Southern California counties/cities. Until very recently I had been a deputy sheriff for over 16 years before my forced retirement, hence my desire to relocate for cost of living/quality of living purposes. In my moves and career I have pretty much seen more that most people do in a life time.

Austin, however, has changed our lives FOREVER with a simple visit. I am not easily impressed but AUSTIN....YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT.

1) Weather: Not even half as bad as I had heard from several people in these forums about Austin. When we visited Austin it was on its 18th record breaking day of 100+ degree weather but compared to Southern California (today its 104) the heat in Austin was VERY bearable and comfortable. Coming from the wintery northen states one may be intolerable to humidity during winter months but from those from southern states, Austin was pretty much comfortable.

2) Crime: The best way to determine a cities "aura" is to watch the evening news....or such is my opinion. The MOST impressive thing I have to say about Austin is the crime rate compared to MOST other places. My first night in Austin and watching the news I was SHOCKED when there was NO NEWS on deaths or murders. It was the first time in 17 years that I have watched a local news program and there had been NO reports of murder, major assaults, etc. As a matter of fact the biggest news when I arrived was the burning of the governors mansion (no, we didnt do it....lol)

Not to say the news was all good as there was a trial of some serial murderer who wasnt even from Texas however the ONLY bad news of crime on persons were some adults who pummeled a school bus with water balloons somewere in Northern Texas. Take it for what its worth with my law enforcement background, but the 5 days I was there and NO reports of any murders or other same type assaultive crimes was a major plus. Hell, I have been bragging more about this than anything else since my return.

3) Cost of Living: Upon touring approximately 15 apartment complexes and seeing how they treated their tenants and the various things they allowed you to do to your own apt let alone the cost of rent, we were both upset with ourselves that we had not moved to Austin years ago. So now we are getting things in order here to definitely make the move to Austin.

4) Gas: Compared to Southern California, gas prices in Austin are approximately 50 cents LESS per gallon. Need I say more.

5) Traffic: Do you really consider that traffic on moday morning on I35 from Round Rock (where we stayed) to downtown Austin? NOT EVEN CLOSE....lol. Traffic for the most part was at a steady 60-65 for most highways that I drove. I35, 2222, 620, and others. When it did slow it was approximately 3 seconds while a car merged or something. The only major shock was seeing a 55 mph speed limit sign.

Your exiting highways, HOWEVER, was crazy in that most exits from the highway continued in the same direction although most produced an immediate U turn underneath the highways to go the opposite direction. I guess it will just take some getting used to. And who developed the plan to name street names with SEVERAL names instead of just one name? Example: AW Grimes aka 1425, etc.

But not to worry. EVERY SINGLE local who gave us directions kept it on par with...make a right at the HEB here or HEB there....lol. Oh, and I must confess, I did run SEVERAL traffic lights since they were much smaller than the traffic signals here in So Ca or other cities I have lived in.

6)Varmints: OK, we had the major paranoia of seeing scorpions, snakes, and milipedes. We saw NONE of them and were quit pleased to hear that most people born/raised in Austin had never seen them either. We KNOW they are there, but luckily we didnt see them. Still it would not hinder us from moving. It would simply make me check the floors before getting out of bed.....lol. Give me a super dangerous criminal any day over a scorpion or milipede.

7) Scenery: You have GOT to be kidding us. Austin was GORGEOUS. The fact that a lot of buildings are nestled among trees keeping the scenic formation in tact was simply miraculous. Especially on the 620. Compared to the other cities I have lived in Austin was scenic in MOST places we visited. And what can one complain about when describing Lake Travis and Oasis area? I was born in tropical Puerto Rico and Lake Travis had us awestruck. Let alone the mansions in the area that we gasped at regardless of the million dollar homes here in So Ca. While driving on some of the toll roads and looking off to the side to see miles and miles of greenery was extremely impressive.

8) People: We thought it was a joke or exaggeration on what we had heard on how Austinites treated one another. BOY were we both wrong. Driving down a street and someone wave to us was VERY UNUSUAL. Made me lock the doors sometimes. Or the SEVERAL friends we made while we were there who will now be life long friends. That type of thing only happens in books or so I thought. It actually DOES happen in Austin.

EVERYWHERE we went for the most part we were met with a genuine smile. Hell, one apt manager already has plans for she and her husband to spend time with us after we move. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN PLACES WE HAVE LIVED BEFORE!!!

You people legitimately have to be the most POLITE city I have EVER traveled to in this or any other of the several countries I have been too.

Let me sum it up this way. I took my fiance to OUR homeland of Puerto Rico last year and we had made plans that we want to die and be buried there. Austin, however, has changed that desire to the SHOCK of most people we have told this too.

I am NOT easily impressed but on an overall scale of 1-10 Austin definitely ranks a 10 on the overall aspect. We will get used to the street direction and multiple street names (our only complaints as it wreaked havoc on our navigation system) but that would be normal in any place that is new to anyone.

For those who are comptemplating a move to Austin we dont think you would be sorry in doing so!!!

Austin, you are doing it RIGHT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 04:51 PM

746 posts, read 3,729,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borikwa69 View Post
Ok, so after much ado with scongress1234 on an Austin move, my fiance and I completed our first 5 day research trip to Austin in hopes of moving there in the near future. So for all those who are comptemplating a move to Austin here are MY reasons for/against a move to Austin.

To ALL the Austinites or however you refer to yourselves...I have lived in the Bronx, NY, Columbus, Ohio and several Southern California counties/cities. Until very recently I had been a deputy sheriff for over 16 years before my forced retirement, hence my desire to relocate for cost of living/quality of living purposes. In my moves and career I have pretty much seen more that most people do in a life time.

Austin, however, has changed our lives FOREVER with a simple visit. I am not easily impressed but AUSTIN....YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT.

1) Weather: Not even half as bad as I had heard from several people in these forums about Austin. When we visited Austin it was on its 18th record breaking day of 100+ degree weather but compared to Southern California (today its 104) the heat in Austin was VERY bearable and comfortable. Coming from the wintery northen states one may be intolerable to humidity during winter months but from those from southern states, Austin was pretty much comfortable.

2) Crime: The best way to determine a cities "aura" is to watch the evening news....or such is my opinion. The MOST impressive thing I have to say about Austin is the crime rate compared to MOST other places. My first night in Austin and watching the news I was SHOCKED when there was NO NEWS on deaths or murders. It was the first time in 17 years that I have watched a local news program and there had been NO reports of murder, major assaults, etc. As a matter of fact the biggest news when I arrived was the burning of the governors mansion (no, we didnt do it....lol)

Not to say the news was all good as there was a trial of some serial murderer who wasnt even from Texas however the ONLY bad news of crime on persons were some adults who pummeled a school bus with water balloons somewere in Northern Texas. Take it for what its worth with my law enforcement background, but the 5 days I was there and NO reports of any murders or other same type assaultive crimes was a major plus. Hell, I have been bragging more about this than anything else since my return.

3) Cost of Living: Upon touring approximately 15 apartment complexes and seeing how they treated their tenants and the various things they allowed you to do to your own apt let alone the cost of rent, we were both upset with ourselves that we had not moved to Austin years ago. So now we are getting things in order here to definitely make the move to Austin.

4) Gas: Compared to Southern California, gas prices in Austin are approximately 50 cents LESS per gallon. Need I say more.

5) Traffic: Do you really consider that traffic on moday morning on I35 from Round Rock (where we stayed) to downtown Austin? NOT EVEN CLOSE....lol. Traffic for the most part was at a steady 60-65 for most highways that I drove. I35, 2222, 620, and others. When it did slow it was approximately 3 seconds while a car merged or something. The only major shock was seeing a 55 mph speed limit sign.

Your exiting highways, HOWEVER, was crazy in that most exits from the highway continued in the same direction although most produced an immediate U turn underneath the highways to go the opposite direction. I guess it will just take some getting used to. And who developed the plan to name street names with SEVERAL names instead of just one name? Example: AW Grimes aka 1425, etc.

But not to worry. EVERY SINGLE local who gave us directions kept it on par with...make a right at the HEB here or HEB there....lol. Oh, and I must confess, I did run SEVERAL traffic lights since they were much smaller than the traffic signals here in So Ca or other cities I have lived in.

6)Varmints: OK, we had the major paranoia of seeing scorpions, snakes, and milipedes. We saw NONE of them and were quit pleased to hear that most people born/raised in Austin had never seen them either. We KNOW they are there, but luckily we didnt see them. Still it would not hinder us from moving. It would simply make me check the floors before getting out of bed.....lol. Give me a super dangerous criminal any day over a scorpion or milipede.

7) Scenery: You have GOT to be kidding us. Austin was GORGEOUS. The fact that a lot of buildings are nestled among trees keeping the scenic formation in tact was simply miraculous. Especially on the 620. Compared to the other cities I have lived in Austin was scenic in MOST places we visited. And what can one complain about when describing Lake Travis and Oasis area? I was born in tropical Puerto Rico and Lake Travis had us awestruck. Let alone the mansions in the area that we gasped at regardless of the million dollar homes here in So Ca. While driving on some of the toll roads and looking off to the side to see miles and miles of greenery was extremely impressive.

8) People: We thought it was a joke or exaggeration on what we had heard on how Austinites treated one another. BOY were we both wrong. Driving down a street and someone wave to us was VERY UNUSUAL. Made me lock the doors sometimes. Or the SEVERAL friends we made while we were there who will now be life long friends. That type of thing only happens in books or so I thought. It actually DOES happen in Austin.

EVERYWHERE we went for the most part we were met with a genuine smile. Hell, one apt manager already has plans for she and her husband to spend time with us after we move. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN IN PLACES WE HAVE LIVED BEFORE!!!

You people legitimately have to be the most POLITE city I have EVER traveled to in this or any other of the several countries I have been too.

Let me sum it up this way. I took my fiance to OUR homeland of Puerto Rico last year and we had made plans that we want to die and be buried there. Austin, however, has changed that desire to the SHOCK of most people we have told this too.

I am NOT easily impressed but on an overall scale of 1-10 Austin definitely ranks a 10 on the overall aspect. We will get used to the street direction and multiple street names (our only complaints as it wreaked havoc on our navigation system) but that would be normal in any place that is new to anyone.

For those who are comptemplating a move to Austin we dont think you would be sorry in doing so!!!

Austin, you are doing it RIGHT!!!

I felt the same things my first three or so months in Austin.....after time goes on you see it as just another city .... same problems and challenges...

I truly think you are both just in a certain mindset where you NEED an epiphany-like change of place, and Austin seems to be it....truly, it is a wonderful place.....best I can describe it is, like a relationship, you fall in love with cities like Austin, and over-idealize them at first......after time sets in, and those "God I love this place" vibes wear off a bit, you will see the place for what it is.....very nice, but growing, and at an awkward stage per all the growth, and the proper infrastructure to contain the same......

If anything, I think this is just a reflection on how awful the places were that you mentioned....though NYC is certainly one of the greatest cities
on earth......Ohio pretty much a hole, like the rest of the midwest rust belt.......Sc overcrowded and polluted beyond belief, along with high crime..

There IS crime in Austin.......most of it is more towards the east.....if you
take a stroll on 6th, and continue east of I-35, you will see what I mean...just depends on what side of the city you are on....at night, many of the east parts are very rough.....some of the south is a bit rough too.

Much of the friendliness you see is due to the fact that Austin is located in the south.......I didn't see any southern cities mentioned in your past moves, and I wold bet Austin is the first southern city you've lived in....Thats how the south in general is, from Nashville to Little Rock to Charlotte to New Orleans and all points therein....just a very friendly region, where people feel compelled to recognize your presence......I love the south myself.....in fact, welcome TO the south!

Per PR, i spent time in San Juan, and I could live in the old town DT forever.......I really liked it, the weather, and it seemed as safe as Austin.
The cobblestoned streets were pretty nice too........

Well, glad you love Austin.....just pass that love around, and you'll be a different person...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:03 PM

I've been to Dallas, I've been to Houston, Most parts of Florida and Georgia. Trust me.......AUSTIN is different. As I stated I am NOT easily impressed. Austin was most impressive. I know EVERY city has crime...yet 4 days of news and no murders, assualts or any other serious crime other than arson. Thats impressive no matter where one is from. You VISITED San Juan.....from what you write your not comptemplating a relocation. If so you would not have the comments you wrote on San Juan.....lol.

We spent some time in the east part of Austin on 7th and other areas. Compared to "ghettos" I have lived in and visited, East Austin is pretty much peaceful. Both in crime rate and infrastructure regardless of the McMansions in the area. One thing we made sure of.....NOT TO VISIT AUSTIN with preconcieved notions. However, the notions came on their own with a much impressive Austin than we had expected.

We have lived in a couple of the largest cities in this country. There is NO WAY you will see a complaint of urban "sprawl" from us in your complaints about Austin. Thanks for the comments tho.

Austin is what Austin appears to be.......excellent for the lifestyle we are seeking. Neither of us hae said Austin is paradise nor perfect, but it will suit us PERFECTLY!!! To be honest the ONLY major complaints I have EVER seen about Austin have basically been from your posts. Thats why I take your post with a grain of salt.....no offense. Austin will be our home SCONGRESS so get ready for some new neighbors.....lol

Old 06-19-2008, 05:10 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,719,540 times
I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I actually gained some new perspective reading that. Welcome to Texas. By the way, most towns and cities in Tx have roadways with more than one name, so if you take any road trips remember that

Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I've been to Dallas, I've been to Houston, Most parts of Florida and Georgia. Trust me.......AUSTIN is different. As I stated I am NOT easily impressed. Austin was most impressive. I know EVERY city has crime...yet 4 days of news and no murders, assualts or any other serious crime other than arson. Thats impressive no matter where one is from. You VISITED San Juan.....from what you write your not comptemplating a relocation. If so you would not have the comments you wrote on San Juan.....lol.

We spent some time in the east part of Austin on 7th and other areas. Compared to "ghettos" I have lived in and visited, East Austin is pretty much peaceful. Both in crime rate and infrastructure regardless of the McMansions in the area. One thing we made sure of.....NOT TO VISIT AUSTIN with preconcieved notions. However, the notions came on their own with a much impressive Austin than we had expected.

We have lived in a couple of the largest cities in this country. There is NO WAY you will see a complaint of urban "sprawl" from us in your complaints about Austin. Thanks for the comments tho.

Austin is what Austin appears to be.......excellent for the lifestyle we are seeking. Neither of us hae said Austin is paradise nor perfect, but it will suit us PERFECTLY!!! To be honest the ONLY major complaints I have EVER seen about Austin have basically been from your posts. Thats why I take your post with a grain of salt.....no offense. Austin will be our home SCONGRESS so get ready for some new neighbors.....lol
Hey, welcome man! Per PR, yes, I know it well, been to Ponce, drove the whole island, and i would consider living there big time.....I think PR is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, people pretty friendly, women beautiful and on and on.....

I think you are just an extremely emotional person who feels strongly about things.....im the same, BTW..i can't see things in a neutral sense at all.....To be honest, I DID over-idealize Austin before I came, and the
sprawl and such really bothered me. My apartment was in a very nothing part of the NW edge of the city, around Anderson Ln., and looked like the suburbs of the city I never went to, with just a bunch of retail strips and malls.....the traffic bothered me a bit too..got cut off often, couldn't find streets, people rode my bumper if I would hesitate just a second.....
didn't see many public libraries, not many public places to congregate,
no bike trails or jogging trails......and lots of it to me seemed to be just a lot of retails strips and big box stores off interstate frontage roads.....

But, after you realize the city is in a growth spurt, and will be far different in 3-5 years, it all makes sense.....and there is plenty of beauty there as well.....but it is not heaven.....not all the locals are thrilled about newcomers, there IS a fair share of crime, and they are busy tearing down old funky areas for new condos.......but, if you can see the good, and there is a lot of it, you truly can have a great time living in Austin....just keep in mind there are many other wonderful places to live, even PR....!

Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 PM

938 posts, read 3,510,303 times
I don't think East Austin is that bad either. I live just east of Cameron Road, in Windsor Park and our neighborhood is very safe. Its mostly older folks who are very friendly. It doesn't have the typical youthful "Austin Vibe" but it a heck of a lot cheaper than Hyde Park. From driving through other places in East Austin, and running the entire Town Lake running trail (which goes into East Austin), again, it doesn't seem that bad, just run down. There may be some places I wouldn't want to be alone after dark, but compared to the rough neighborhoods in DC where I spent a lot of time at work last summer, its not bad at all.

As far as Austin being a utopia, when I first got here I thought it was awesome, and now its worn off to some degree. I think it is a great city in a lot of ways, but I can't say I'm any happier here than anywhere else I've lived, whether that be the tiny town in Missouri I grew up in or the summer I spent in DC. Actually less happy if anything because all I do is work as a grad student, but thats a function of my career, not the city itself.

I do agree on the friendliness, I think Austin is very friendly. Striking up a conversation with a stranger isn't hard to do at all. For a decent sized city, anywhere, it is very friendly and open. I wouldn't say its just a Southern thing either, because where I grew up in the Midwest was also very friendly.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I don't think East Austin is that bad either. I live just east of Cameron Road, in Windsor Park and our neighborhood is very safe. Its mostly older folks who are very friendly. It doesn't have the typical youthful "Austin Vibe" but it a heck of a lot cheaper than Hyde Park. From driving through other places in East Austin, and running the entire Town Lake running trail (which goes into East Austin), again, it doesn't seem that bad, just run down. There may be some places I wouldn't want to be alone after dark, but compared to the rough neighborhoods in DC where I spent a lot of time at work last summer, its not bad at all.

As far as Austin being a utopia, when I first got here I thought it was awesome, and now its worn off to some degree. I think it is a great city in a lot of ways, but I can't say I'm any happier here than anywhere else I've lived, whether that be the tiny town in Missouri I grew up in or the summer I spent in DC. Actually less happy if anything because all I do is work as a grad student, but thats a function of my career, not the city itself.

I do agree on the friendliness, I think Austin is very friendly. Striking up a conversation with a stranger isn't hard to do at all. For a decent sized city, anywhere, it is very friendly and open. I wouldn't say its just a Southern thing either, because where I grew up in the Midwest was also very friendly.

It's spotty...actually, some areas west are bad too, depending on the apt. complexes...While east austin is not the south side of chicago or east LA, there are some very dangerous parts.....and most assuredly at night they are rough.........I do notice that people on both sides don't mix much...
very two different worlds...I grew up on the south side of chicago, and the areas don't scare me a bit....you just have to be smart.....what I didn't see in Austin was racial hatred on either side...now thats what makes those bad parts in other cities, lincluding Dallas and Houston, rough..the hatred......which I don't see in Austin.....people, even in rough parts of town, just seem more centered and mellow, not looking for trouble...........Austin is just a special place, is all....but people do get murdered here......someone got their brains literally beat in and murdered last SWSW, and someone popped someone through a drive-in fast food window the first week I moved in......but it is mellow, considering the gun culture and all out in Texas...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:36 PM

WOW, scongress. your last reply was something I hadnt even considered concerning the RACIAL hatres between areas. But your comment just made Austin that much more appealing. TY

Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
WOW, scongress. your last reply was something I hadnt even considered concerning the RACIAL hatres between areas. But your comment just made Austin that much more appealing. TY
I think the healthy economy helps too.....and Austin isn't on the grid for folks looking to move to a major city just to go on the dole and cause trouble...Houston and Dallas would be more the usual suspects in that scenario....actually, most, almost all, of the east end is hispanic, and I just feel comfortable with them......I think there is lots of energy in those barrios, and most are family folks just looking to get along.....though they are frustrated at the gentrification that seems to be selling them out of their old neighborhoods, like like in NYC.....its just an ope minded place, with many intelligent people.....I think the main reason is that 40% of the population has a bachelors....when you have that many smart people in one place, you don't get the hate and crime typical of big cities...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:52 PM

Well I first took you as a native to Austin with all the posts and opinions but now I see your from a city like mi (Chitown). How long did the "beautification" of Austin wear off on you. I'm not sure how old you are but was it after the first 20 years, 10 yrs or less? I remember you putting a pic up from several years ago where you had an old store then a crowd on the more up to date pic. So I'm guessing you've been there awhile. Just want to know how long before the AWE of Austin wore off for you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin