Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Austin: cost of living, crime rate, traffic, condos, apartment complex.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM

947 posts, read 3,140,637 times

Advertisements

Great Post Borikwa! Thanks for writing it! You get used to the multiple street names...

Also, Scongress has admitted to living in Austin for 18 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM

739 posts, read 3,058,226 times
I visited for 4 days in early July. I loved the U turn things. Those were awesome!

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
I've lived in the area for almost 40 years. I'm not awestruck with it any longer (just as I love my husband dearly but have come to see him more realistically over the almost-as-many-years we've been married), but I do appreciate the city and the area and the positive things of it. scongress1234 really can't seem to abide (or take seriously) that others have a different, more positive viewpoint of Austin,newcomers or long-timers, so I wouldn't take his pooh-poohing of your experience too seriously.

Welcome to Austin! You're just the kind of newcomer we appreciate - someone who loves the city for what it is.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 PM

101 posts, read 383,765 times
Borikwa,

First of all, thanks. Sometimes reading this forum is hard work for recent arrivals like yours truly and I sometimes wonder why I still do. Your post was a reminder of much that is fab about Austin. I moved here from London about a year ago and, despite the fact that you cannot sensibly compare the two, I know where I'd rather live and its not London (which I still adore I should add).

I should ask though, being a Copper (ex or otherwise) and all, are you not ethically bound to hand yourself in for running traffic lights? Just asking!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM

746 posts, read 3,728,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Great Post Borikwa! Thanks for writing it! You get used to the multiple street names...

Also, Scongress has admitted to living in Austin for 18 months.

Sounds like the end of those Dragnet TV shows....

Defendent has admitted to living in Austin for 18 months...

Where's Jack Webb when you need him?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,293,680 times
I've been in Austin for 8-years and it still has not "worn off" for me. I do get complacent and get tired of the hot weather sometimes, but all it takes is a visit to another place to make me run screaming back to Austin. It seems that as soon as I start to take it for granted, I will experience something that makes me fall in love with it all over again. In fact, it's very rare that I leave the city limits. I can handle about a week away once a year or so, but that's about it.

There are still many places I've never been and I am definitely open to the possibility that I may find somewhere else that calls to me, but so far I have not been anywhere that can come close to the total package that Austin offers. There is really no other city quite like it.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM

746 posts, read 3,728,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I've been in Austin for 8-years and it still has not "worn off" for me. I do get complacent and get tired of the hot weather sometimes, but all it takes is a visit to another place to make me run screaming back to Austin. It seems that as soon as I start to take it for granted, I will experience something that makes me fall in love with it all over again. In fact, it's very rare that I leave the city limits. I can handle about a week away once a year or so, but that's about it.

There are still many places I've never been and I am definitely open to the possibility that I may find somewhere else that calls to me, but so far I have not been anywhere that can come close to the total package that Austin offers. There is really no other city quite like it.
No....only thing that could ruin it would be too many people...getting to that point now.....you can ruin anyplace with overcrowding...even Austin.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 AM

134 posts, read 385,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
No....only thing that could ruin it would be too many people...getting to that point now.....you can ruin anyplace with overcrowding...even Austin.
Oh thank god -- there IS a method to your madness -- and here I was just thinking you were a bitter negative person -- when the truth is that your just trying to keep the population down in Austin.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 AM

264 posts, read 1,001,705 times
It's not just natives complaining about all the people moving here. Once you move here, you'll want to preserve Austin for everything it has to offer and the first thing ruining it all is the overcrowding. I have a neighbor from San Francisco who is constantly bashing all the Californians coming here......obviously, we're getting along very well.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:29 PM

13 posts, read 110,527 times
No South Side Chap I will NEVER bust myself......lol

I can understand overcrowding issues that some of you bring up. I live in that exact situation now of "constant" urbinization. Once I do move there I will more than likely agree with wanting to preserve the "small town" feel although I would be "adding" to the census increase....lol

What shocks me is the news that you, scongress, have ONLY been in Austin for only 18 months yet you pass off your MULTIPLE negative opinions as tho you were a long time resident/native. Cmon. 18 months??? You can't possibly know anyting useful about Austin. Your still a rookie out there.....lol.

I have read of several people who have been there more than 3 years that are STILL "discovering" Austin. You, my friend, have solidified yourself as a JOKE. When I told you about 3 weeks ago to LEARN your city before you replied to my posts I now see how prophetic I was being.

However, to the other Austinites who have responded, I really do apprectiate your replies. Your entire city is absolutely perfect for the lifestyle that my family and I are seeking and we can not wait to be a part of it. If I offended anyone by bashing scongress that was NOT my intent (he offending anyone part of it) but in light of the other replies he has made to my posts its really disheartening when someone with little or no legitimate information about a subjects passes themselves off as an "authority."

Anyway. we can't wait to be your neighbors!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin