Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 04:45 PM

216 posts, read 179,423 times

Advertisements

Stores still expect payment in general and stealing is not yet legalized
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 11:50 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Austin is pretty dang liberal...maybe not as out there as SF but it's liberal by many metrics.

Austin is constantly butting heads with the state. I think both give each other indigestion -- despite the state's attempts to neuter it, Austin won't quit.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:54 PM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Austin is constantly butting heads with the state. I think both give each other indigestion -- despite the state's attempts to neuter it, Austin won't quit.
To be fair, Houston/Harris County butts heads with the state every bit as much as Austin does (HISD takeover, 2020 election, 2022 election, Harvey relief aid, etc.). For whatever reason it seems like the state doesn’t come after Dallas or DFW anywhere near as much as it does Austin or Houston.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:34 AM

483 posts, read 532,172 times
I grew up in basically the same place as Cabo Steve Adler which is consistently one of the most liberal areas of the country, known in some circles as the Berkeley of the east. To me Austin politics are every bit as liberal as there, and in some ways even more so. The difference is the state of Texas has an antagonistic relationship with Austin and actively looks to reign in / subvert Austin's policies. If Austin was in a liberal state I think it would easily be one of the most liberal/left wing cities in the country. In the past Austin's politics seemed much more hippie quirky live and let live style, but I've noticed even in my decade plus here an importation of the harder edged left coast antifa type stuff. Texas politicians think they can import California jobs and people without importing the politics and problems, I'm not so sure.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
Texas politicians think they can import California jobs and people without importing the politics and problems, I'm not so sure.
THANK YOU!

This whole notion of, "were going to import jobs from blue states and they will conform to the way we think they should be" is pure trash.

Texas lured my company from LA. They got a blue voting, atheist, Californian. These "dont California my Texas" people need to get a clue. The people you voted for are responsible for this. If Texas was super serious about keeping nasty people like me out, implement a Corporate Tax for all new companies. That will certainly stop relocations.

But being in Houston, Im surrounded by people just like me anyway so I feel at home.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:45 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
THANK YOU!

This whole notion of, "were going to import jobs from blue states and they will conform to the way we think they should be" is pure trash.

Texas lured my company from LA. They got a blue voting, atheist, Californian. These "dont California my Texas" people need to get a clue. The people you voted for are responsible for this. If Texas was super serious about keeping nasty people like me out, implement a Corporate Tax for all new companies. That will certainly stop relocations.

But being in Houston, Im surrounded by people just like me anyway so I feel at home.
If you had to guess would you say that newcomers to the state are mainly liberal, conservative or a mix of both?

Old 04-09-2024, 06:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
If you had to guess would you say that newcomers to the state are mainly liberal, conservative or a mix of both?
A mix. People move here mostly for jobs and COL.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:16 AM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Most people move for nonpolitical reasons, but among those who cite politics as a major factor, you'll see at least 3 conservatives for every liberal.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:57 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
A lot of the growth is natural increase, and against conventional wisdom native born Texans actually lean democrat. In Austin specifically, there are very few people that move here who I would say are truly conservative, but I think most coming from California are moderates, as generally the far left in California are not interested in relocating to Texas. The far left in Austin mostly come from other places in Texas. It's the gathering place for Texans that didn't fit in other parts of the state but also didn't want to move thousands of miles away from their families.

Last edited by whereiend; 04-09-2024 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 04:52 AM

4,155 posts, read 4,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
A lot of the growth is natural increase, and against conventional wisdom native born Texans actually lean democrat. In Austin specifically, there are very few people that move here who I would say are truly conservative, but I think most coming from California are moderates, as generally the far left in California are not interested in relocating to Texas. The far left in Austin mostly come from other places in Texas. It's the gathering place for Texans that didn't fit in other parts of the state but also didn't want to move thousands of miles away from their families.
If this is true, then why are they voting in the same people that make where they came here a unaffordable place to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin