Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 12:22 AM

15 posts, read 38,364 times

Advertisements

Here is the kitchen set up right now:
1. Kitchen is in the center of a one story house. Wall against the cooktop is not facing outside. Behind the wall is a corridor.
2. There is no duct inside the cabinet above the cooktop.
3. It is relying on a gas cooktop with down draft vent.

What I want:
1. To have a range hood above the cooktop.
2. The cabinet has space to put a range hood under it.
3. Ductwork to be done so the air will vent outside, not recirculate with carbon filter of those ductless range hood.
4. If no way to put ductwork in the cabinet and between the wall, I am OK to have that part of the cabinet cutout and install those wall-mount range hood that has a long pipe all the way reaching the ceiling.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 06:30 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
we had this done. We had a downdraft in an island and installed a vent hood. Your ceiling has joists and they all run the same way. This means you should be able to run a vent hood through the ceiling to the outside. If you are lucky the spacing all lines up nicely If you have a one story house, then you can run the vent duct into the attic, then to the outside. One thing is if you have a very strong hood it will be loud. Vents with the motor outside arent as common but might be worth it.

I honestly cant remember how much it cost, but if it was more than 1000 I probably would not have done it. I believe the same installer that installed the hood installed the vent. I think I got him as a recommendation from the appliance store we got the hood (maybe harway)

Old 10-28-2020, 03:00 PM

Thank you very much.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:52 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
I think you’re looking at about 2k. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I think you’re looking at about 2k. Good luck!
what is that based on? Is the hood included? If so possibly.

For just labor it seems high to me. I use 50-75/hour for labor. Probably just one, but could be two.

1) break hole in ceiling above stove. Hope that there is an easy path to the outside 1 hour. (if not, repair drywall 2-3 hours)
2) Gently remove cabinet above stove - 1 hour
3) Break hole in outside wall -1 hour
4) run duct to outside with vent cover - 1 hour
5) If power is not available you need an electrician to run electrical for an outlet - 2 hours
6) Install vent hood - 2 hours
7) Clean up all trim, drywall etc, paint - 2 hours

It can be done by one person, but some things are so much easier if you have 2.

You might need to have the demo done first and confirm that the vent can run. If you can access an attic then it is easy, but if there is a 2nd floor then it gets tougher.

There are also permits that you really do need.

Read about duct sizing based on CFM of the hood and make sure your contractor uses the correct duct size.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
what is that based on? Is the hood included? If so possibly.

For just labor it seems high to me. I use 50-75/hour for labor. Probably just one, but could be two.

1) break hole in ceiling above stove. Hope that there is an easy path to the outside 1 hour. (if not, repair drywall 2-3 hours)
2) Gently remove cabinet above stove - 1 hour
3) Break hole in outside wall -1 hour
4) run duct to outside with vent cover - 1 hour
5) If power is not available you need an electrician to run electrical for an outlet - 2 hours
6) Install vent hood - 2 hours
7) Clean up all trim, drywall etc, paint - 2 hours

It can be done by one person, but some things are so much easier if you have 2.

You might need to have the demo done first and confirm that the vent can run. If you can access an attic then it is easy, but if there is a 2nd floor then it gets tougher.

There are also permits that you really do need.

Read about duct sizing based on CFM of the hood and make sure your contractor uses the correct duct size.
Thanks for all the info. The duct will be thru the ceiling and roof of the house.

If cost is over $2000, may be I should consider a really nice outdoor kitchen, with sink and fridge and a real stove in addition to a grill.

As you have suggested, I went to Harway yesterday. For some reason, the salesperson I talked to didn't have any contractor recommendation. I was showed a pop up style range hood. That could be a much cost effective alternative. Those are not cheap either, and will need to cut out the granite counter top to fit it.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:51 AM

445 posts, read 413,223 times
The problem with downdrafts and gas stove is that the vent pulls in the flame instead of the steam from the pot. There are two solutions other than installing a vented hood.
1. Install pop up vent for downdraft or build a chimney around the downdraft grill with 6-8" rolled aluminum sheet sold at home depot in the roofing department.
2. Change from gas to induction stove if you have the electric line, so there is no flame to draw into the downdraft.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:13 AM

1 posts, read 84 times
Having dealt with the frustrations of downdrafts and gas stoves myself, I can relate to the annoyance of the vent pulling in the flame instead of the steam. It's a real headache. That's why solutions like installing a pop-up vent or constructing a chimney around the downdraft grill with [url=https://www.moderncopper.com/]moderncopper[/url] materials from Home Depot sound promising. And the idea of switching to an induction stove, if I have the electric line, is definitely appealing. It's refreshing to know there are practical alternatives to tackle this problem head-on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: