Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:34 PM

948 posts, read 1,140,218 times

Advertisements

I received a quote to install kitchen vent duct as part of installing a range hood to vent out the cooking odor. The charge is $1250

I am replacing the builtin microwave with range hood. So the vent duct needs to be installed to take the air out through the roof.

This is the quote:

Penetrations to upper cabinetry and wall cavity through drywall above cabinetry for access. Move electrical and gas lines for room for ductwork. Install aluminum flex duct in wall cavity, penetrate roof, install roof jack, dry-in. Re-install drywall, blend texture, paint with customer provided paint corner to corner above upper cabinetry.

Is it high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 05:45 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
If you can't do it yourself, then it's not high.

It doesn't sound unreasonable to me, though they are making up some things here... They shouldn't have to be moving any gas lines or electrical to do this. The vent they will install is a 4" flexible piping. They should easily be able to route it around any lines that are inside a standard 16" gap between studs.

You could also look into a ventless hood. Looks just like a vented one, but it has charcoal filters inside of it, and you won't have to mess with any of this.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
If you can't do it yourself, then it's not high.

It doesn't sound unreasonable to me, though they are making up some things here... They shouldn't have to be moving any gas lines or electrical to do this. The vent they will install is a 4" flexible piping. They should easily be able to route it around any lines that are inside a standard 16" gap between studs.

You could also look into a ventless hood. Looks just like a vented one, but it has charcoal filters inside of it, and you won't have to mess with any of this.
Thanks katana49. They told me about the gas lines running behind the stove top wall. So when they drill hole it has to be moved out of the way to pull the duct. I am not sure if thats optional.

Currently we have a recirculating charcoal filter in the inbuilt microwave unit. It doesn't do anything and the entire kitchen stinks up after cooking.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I received a quote to install kitchen vent duct as part of installing a range hood to vent out the cooking odor. The charge is $1250

I am replacing the builtin microwave with range hood. So the vent duct needs to be installed to take the air out through the roof.

This is the quote:

Penetrations to upper cabinetry and wall cavity through drywall above cabinetry for access. Move electrical and gas lines for room for ductwork. Install aluminum flex duct in wall cavity, penetrate roof, install roof jack, dry-in. Re-install drywall, blend texture, paint with customer provided paint corner to corner above upper cabinetry.

Is it high?
1). I'd need the jobber to show me why any electrical and gas line(s) must be moved. Moving a gas line requires a plumber.
2). Roof jack - is that a penetration boot?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:48 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
I would go with a ductless hood and open windows for stronger smells. You can turn on bathroom or laundry exhausts as well if needed. I mean of course it's not the proper way but it's as effective.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
One way to tell if a quote is reasonable is to get 2-3 quotes. Don't go with the cheapest.

Your quote sounds fair to me.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:11 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Sounds fair to me too. I'd also not go with a ductless system. They just aren't good enough for 'real' cooking, ie anything that makes some smoke.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 AM

Yes. Ductless systems are not an option as we cook lot of strong odor making recipes. And our kitchen is not close to exterior wall/windows but in the middle of the house.

The reason why the gas lines needs to be moved is because it's right behind the cabinet wall where the the duct hole is supposed to be made. At-least that's what they told me. But they said it's easy fix and wouldn't take long.

I need to get another quote for sure, but it's hard to find a reputable contractor. This guy was referred by my friend.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Yes. Ductless systems are not an option as we cook lot of strong odor making recipes. And our kitchen is not close to exterior wall/windows but in the middle of the house.

The reason why the gas lines needs to be moved is because it's right behind the cabinet wall where the the duct hole is supposed to be made. At-least that's what they told me. But they said it's easy fix and wouldn't take long.

I need to get another quote for sure, but it's hard to find a reputable contractor. This guy was referred by my friend.
If contractor has good reference then go with this offer. It's just a matter of a few hundreds less or more, not worth facing potential problems caused by the cheapest offer.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:44 PM

332 posts, read 1,387,096 times
Quote:

This is the quote:

Is it high?
Cost seems reasonable to me. That is quite a bit of time if done correctly. Flex duct should not be used for range-hood exhaust. 99% sure Dallas building code requires smooth walled duct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas