Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 10:13 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times

Advertisements

I've made that kind of right turn at least two times over the years whenever I happened to miss the dedicated right turn lane. Each time there was no sign saying not to turn, so I didn't think nothing about it and turned right, after I looked to make sure there were no vehicles coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 05:59 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I've made that kind of right turn at least two times over the years whenever I happened to miss the dedicated right turn lane. Each time there was no sign saying not to turn, so I didn't think nothing about it and turned right, after I looked to make sure there were no vehicles coming.
Not the case here. Big, huge, highway-sized signs. And most of the cars doing it have local school or neighborhood decals, so it's an intersection and street they drive past probably every day.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Not the case here. Big, huge, highway-sized signs. And most of the cars doing it have local school or neighborhood decals, so it's an intersection and street they drive past probably every day.
If the sign says "No Right Turn", then don't turn right. One must go straight, or forward.

If the sign says "No Right Turn On Red", then it's absolutely ok to turn right once the light turns green, but not before.

If there is NOT a "No Right Turn" sign posted, then it's OK to turn right after stopping.

That's how I look at it. Unless, I'm missing something, it seems pretty much black and white.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:08 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If the sign says "No Right Turn", then don't turn right. One must go straight, or forward.

If the sign says "No Right Turn On Red", then it's absolutely ok to turn right once the light turns green, but not before.

If there is NOT a "No Right Turn" sign posted, then it's OK to turn right after stopping.

That's how I look at it. Unless, I'm missing something, it seems pretty much black and white.
Legally speaking you're right but I think the issue is that there is a dedicated lane separated from the flow of traffic, almost like an exit only lane, that turns right onto the FM2222 Bypass where as cars on FM620 who pass this slip lane are generally expected to proceed straight, but some are skipping the slip lane and turning right at the intersection instead to beat traffic and this may either catch someone off guard, or impede the flow of traffic.

By the way its designed, you would never think people would attempt to turn right at the intersection given the ample opportunity to use the slip lane. Someone behind someone making a right turn at the intersection instead of the slip lane may not expect someone to stop at the intersection to make the turn given the huge opportunity to turn at the slip lane, and it also interrupts the flow of traffic which the slip lane is designed to alleviate.

Personally I think its a case where engineers either did not consider it or more clarification needs to be made at the intersection as to whether or not the turn is legal, usually by arrows in the lanes or sign (there are none) or a no right turn sign.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

By the way its designed, you would never think people would attempt to turn right at the intersection given the ample opportunity to use the slip lane. Someone behind someone making a right turn at the intersection instead of the slip lane may not expect someone to stop at the intersection to make the turn given the huge opportunity to turn at the slip lane, and it also interrupts the flow of traffic which the slip lane is designed to alleviate.
It's easy to do if you're not familiar with the area and you don't realize the next cross street is where you want to turn until you're already passed the dedicated right turn lane. That's how I happened to turn right from the non-dedicated right lane. All 50 years or so I been driving in Houston and Austin I never noticed you could turn right after missing the dedicated turn lane until the last 2 or 3 years. It must be something new the highway department is trying out.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:24 PM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
For that intersection in particular there are large overhead freeway style signs advising about the turn and where it goes though, infact if you miss it then the intersection (which is much less marked) would probably be even less of a give away.

In this case people are turning at the intersection to cut infront of traffic waiting in the slip lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin