Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2023, 11:52 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times

Advertisements

Looking for some Pflugerville, Hutto, Round Rock love on the thread. Represent for the Far North Austin area with new developments and businesses very diverse all over let me know how you feel about that area of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2023, 09:56 AM

109 posts, read 83,525 times
That whole area is flat boring suburbia

Old 11-17-2023, 07:24 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,192,841 times
Don't like it, no character, try to avoid.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:38 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,562,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Looking for some Pflugerville, Hutto, Round Rock love on the thread. Represent for the Far North Austin area with new developments and businesses very diverse all over let me know how you feel about that area of town.
I've always enjoyed living in the suburbs versus the congestion of any major metroplex. You typically get a much nicer house for your money (and that is definitely the case in the Austin area) and you can always visit downtown on those rare occasions with some sort of event. I prefer the serenity you usually get in the suburbs. The only problem is this area (Round Rock) is getting so busy that you actually do have some pretty good traffic during rush hour here (a time I thankfully don't have to drive in). Round Rock will be even busier when the Samsung plant is finished (in particular on 79).

My daughter was in town from North Carolina a few months ago and wasn't all that impressed by downtown Austin (I can't say that I've ever really been either). And excuse me for saying this, but it's always felt like a bit of a 2nd tier city.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:51 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I've always enjoyed living in the suburbs versus the congestion of any major metroplex. You typically get a much nicer house for your money (and that is definitely the case in the Austin area) and you can always visit downtown on those rare occasions with some sort of event. I prefer the serenity you usually get in the suburbs. The only problem is this area (Round Rock) is getting so busy that you actually do have some pretty good traffic during rush hour here (a time I thankfully don't have to drive in). Round Rock will be even busier when the Samsung plant is finished (in particular on 79).

My daughter was in town from North Carolina a few months ago and wasn't all that impressed by downtown Austin (I can't say that I've ever really been either). And excuse me for saying this, but it's always felt like a bit of a 2nd tier city.
Ditto.

There are zealots here that are Austin or nothing. I have no issues with where I live and will not be seeking to move into Austin proper except for maybe buying investment property there if I ever decide to go that route. I have no reason to pay the extra money.

Downtown Austin is nice, but the constant bashing on the suburbs is unjustifiable. They also continuously complain about RR/Hutto/Cedar Park/Leander being suburbia but Austin becomes suburbia pretty much the instance you leave downtown / west campus area. It turns into SFH with activity pockets that are scattered about the city that require a car to transport between. When I think of 'Urban' I think of Chicago which remains high density far outside of Downtown. Same for San Francisco and New York and in some areas even Atlanta (if you stay on Peachtree St). You can take the train, walk, bus or bike all over the city. You can only do that in pockets of inner Austin.

Now here is one thing I will agree with, the suburbs aren't as much of a bargain as they used to be.. They have seen some enormous price hikes. So if attacking it from a perspective of affordability then I would agree that point is more valid now than it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin