Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 01:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
I'm not paying 2 hours of skilled labor for someone to "source" things that are sold at every Home Depot and that every plumbing shop has on the shelf already, that's ridiculous.
Most of the better shops won't use the retail-grade garbage sold at HD/Lowe's. And who's paying for them to have that part on the shelf, much less ordering the replacement part? Additionally, no matter WHERE it's sourced, it has to be picked up....and delivered to the jobsite. These are the intangible costs that we all must ultimately pay for.

Now...you want a REAL "Pro Tip"? Get friendly with a Property Management Company and find out what trades THEY use. They're not going to have fly-by-night contractors, but they WILL be extremely competitively priced. Get the names of several, then shop THEIR prices. Most of the prices I've seen posted look like they're from the "Big Name" folks - who are generally WAY overpriced. You need to KNOW who you're dealing with - a good independent is usually 30-40% less expensive than the "name" companies, because they're not corporate/franchised. There's several of the oft-discussed "major players" in the trades that tell their techs that if they can't find a minimum of $1k of billable repairs, just leave. IOW, if you hear them advertised on TV/radio regularly, you will NOT get a competitive price.....trust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 02:30 PM

483 posts, read 532,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Our water heater is a 'fat boy' up in the attic. Ain't no way this old many is going to haul the old one down and the new one up. It has been 10-15 years since the last time ours needed replacing and it was ~$1600 back then, iirc.

Oh I hear ya, I was speaking to the typical tract house here that has the heater in the garage. I've done one before myself when I was a younger man, not sure I'd do it again now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Most of the better shops won't use the retail-grade garbage sold at HD/Lowe's. And who's paying for them to have that part on the shelf, much less ordering the replacement part? Additionally, no matter WHERE it's sourced, it has to be picked up....and delivered to the jobsite. These are the intangible costs that we all must ultimately pay for.

Now...you want a REAL "Pro Tip"? Get friendly with a Property Management Company and find out what trades THEY use. They're not going to have fly-by-night contractors, but they WILL be extremely competitively priced. Get the names of several, then shop THEIR prices. Most of the prices I've seen posted look like they're from the "Big Name" folks - who are generally WAY overpriced. You need to KNOW who you're dealing with - a good independent is usually 30-40% less expensive than the "name" companies, because they're not corporate/franchised. There's several of the oft-discussed "major players" in the trades that tell their techs that if they can't find a minimum of $1k of billable repairs, just leave. IOW, if you hear them advertised on TV/radio regularly, you will NOT get a competitive price.....trust me!

That's good advice and things have become especially bad with regards to these major players. The specific example I'm thinking of was a quote I saw for my neighbor and it was literally the same model number heater as sold at retail just marked up 4 or 5 times the cost.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:10 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoTejas View Post
That's good advice and things have become especially bad with regards to these major players. The specific example I'm thinking of was a quote I saw for my neighbor and it was literally the same model number heater as sold at retail just marked up 4 or 5 times the cost.
It's weird - SOME of the stuff has what APPEARS to be the same model number, but a deeper dive shows there ARE differences (NOT on all of 'em). I do water softeners - had a customer a couple of years ago that bought one "just like I quoted him" for "hundreds less". After connecting it backwards, he had me come in and replumb it, then asked me to set the meter on it since he couldn't figure it out....

NO meter on the thing. Oops..... That's the last time I worked on a system I didn't sell - he tied me up for 3 hours trying to get me to call the company he bought it from to get things "corrected".(and before anyone asks, I won't travel to Austin, lol!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: