Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 07:21 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It would be nice if they could build overpasses over the major intersections that cross Hwy 79. I-35 in RR seriously needs to be widened. It is worse in Round Rock than it is through Pflugerville and N.Austin (atleast until you reach 290)

That Samsung plant in Taylor is certainly going to further hamper Hwy 79.
True dat. And 79 already has gridlock for at least a couple of blocks consistently during afternoon rush hours (luckily I'm usually off before then). I can't imagine what it's going to be like when Samsung opens. Other than people looking for home appreciation so they can sell and get out of dodge, I can't think of much good about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 09:57 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
The main issue is Austin metro area seems very laxed at planning for growth. I've driven through SATX and DFW plenty of times and both are much easier to navigate through despite being large metros because they seem not to have so much push back against improving road infrastructure. Inner Austin is even worse and won't be able to handle intra commutes that will be demanded by further growth.

Old 07-23-2023, 10:53 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
We have the anti-growth/bicycle crowd that started in the 1970s for that mismanagement of the infrastructure. And the NIMBY folks.
Look at the much delayed improvement of the “Y” at Oak Hill intersection - that should’ve been done well before the turn of the century. And now look at how much those delays are costing the taxpayer…. never mind the massive amount of added air pollution they have caused over the decades.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:09 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I agree Austin is overburdened with people. I often ran I35 through Austin - usually transiting to/from Laredo - as a truck driver and Austin was almost always far suckier than SA or DFW.

Unfortunately with all the growth, Texas in general seems to have caught the toll road flu from the Northeasterners. Austin is no exception with 130, 45 etc. as toll roads.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:56 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I can't help but wonder what the heck they're doing to FM620 @ I-35 ... I at first thought it was just going to be an overpass over the railroad tracks but now they've thrown up access roads and the overpass does not look wide enough to be a divided highway which seems like a net loss of capacity...

What is weird is going down to some places like New Braunsfels or San Marcos and they have roads with overpasses over major intersections and you come back to Austin, the state capital and there is a net lack of planning and coordination to anything related to traffic engineering. It is weird that I really enjoy driving through places like San Antonio which seems to have a vastly better road system and then come back to Austin and most of the stop lights seem like they haven't been touched since the 70's.

It is good that they're going to improve I-35 atleast. They already started in S.Austin (again) ...

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-23-2023 at 03:10 PM..

Old 08-07-2023, 07:36 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Even tho Austin has been booming for a while, it kinda feels like there's no slow down in sight.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:53 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Percent-wise, Austin has been booming for about 180 years....

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...istory_pub.pdf

Old 10-10-2023, 09:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post

SAD and disgusting! There is no way Austin & RR can keep growing. There is not enough water and it makes the quality of life is going downhill fast. Sustainable existence has to be the way of the future. Hays county is growing so fast that the area is depleting water in the area's adjoining - from the article below ". Hays County grew from about 66,000 in 1990 to almost 270,000 today. By 2045, more than 630,000 residents could populate the Central Texas county."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...drought-water/

Get involved if you wish, write the city council, the mayor, teh Governor. Join some of the watershed groups and Sierra Club.

Thank you.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Percent-wise, Austin has been booming for about 180 years....

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...istory_pub.pdf

I disagree, the "hell" of its boom has only been for 4 years or so. It has to slow-we have to slow it.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:48 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I disagree, the "hell" of its boom has only been for 4 years or so. It has to slow-we have to slow it.
people who say that usually have been here just a little longer than that.

Water is not an issue. Instead it is an energy issue. At any time the COA can recycle all sewer water back into drinking water, water can be desalinated and pumped, or water downstream can be pumped back upstream.

Limits can be placed on agriculture and landscape watering. Water used inside of homes is under 30% of the total water usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin