Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 03:44 PM

43,122 posts, read 18,281,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If I'm raped, I am 100% going to have an abortion. If I get pregnant now, I probably will as well. I don't want to have a child after 45. The difference is that I have the means (job will pay for travel) to do so, whereas poorer people do not and that is a pity.

That being said, this is not an abortion debate thread. Just my viewpoint on how I just can't be an apolitical fence sitter anymore these days.
Biden signed an EO. HHS/medicaid will cover the cost of travel and hotel for anyone wanting an abortion in a non abortion state. You do not need to be on medicaid to make use of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 03:52 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Biden signed an EO. HHS/medicaid will cover the cost of travel and hotel for anyone wanting an abortion in a non abortion state. You do not need to be on medicaid to make use of this.
I hadn't heard that one. I knew someone could travel to another state but didn't know the cost of travel and hotel was covered.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:17 PM

43,122 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
I hadn't heard that one. I knew someone could travel to another state but didn't know the cost of travel and hotel was covered.
I didn't follow it after this so I don't know how one gets the funds

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/...tion-care.html

Old 03-14-2023, 09:28 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
After seeing a 40 year friendship break up after a squabble about politics, I do not discuss politics with anyone other than my wife and maybe a friend of the same persuasion. IMO, arguing rarely changes anyone's mind and just causes resentment. I am conservative on fiscal matters but moderate on social issues. I am for gay rights and abortions under extreme circumstances. However, I vote Republican as they reflect more of my views than the Dems . By the way, I am registered as a Dem as being in a Blue county, I want to vote in the Dem primary for local candidates as the Rep. party has no chance of winning local elections.

Old 03-30-2023, 08:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBlows View Post
Is Austin similar to places like Portland where non-leftist people have to keep their views to themselves?

I've been apolitical for almost my whole life, never even voted until the last election. But the past few years turned things upside down for me and I'm really wary of living in a deep blue area - I just don't like the idea of living in an echo chamber/bubble like Portland or San Francisco.

I'm from SoCal, so I'd probably get a lot of flack in the more conservative areas of TX too.
Move to Lakeway and hang out with the MAGA crowd.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:57 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
My question to you would be why you feel like people need to hear anyone's views? I lived in the SF Bay Area for years. I was brought up understanding that etiquette dictates not talking about politics or religion in the presence of company (and I don't). I never did it there and I don't do it here. People don't need to hear about contentious issues like that. I couldn't tell you the political viewpoints of a single neighbor I've had here in the last 5 years. Unlike forums like CD, most people are too polite to bring up such subjects in the real world. The bravado comes out when under the anonymity of the internet.
I don't think the OP thinks anyone needs to hear his or anyone else's views.
If a political topic does come up, I might want to comment, but I keep in on the downlow here in VT, well, because it's VT and I'm a bit more on the conservative side.

In VT people will bring up politics w/out a second thought, but it's usually some flip comment about Trump or gender issues, or BIPOC. They like to virtue signal. They'll tout 'being kind' but the minute you express any type of opinion that goes against the majority viewpoints, you feel the cold shoulder. The issue is, they appear to believe everyone thinks like they do. It's insidious here and may be in places like Austin as well. But I've never lived there (going to or visit a town nearby next week, though).
School board drama has become a thing, too, but most of the other times, though, no one talks about politics in general.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:53 PM

3,890 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There are still some mid-sized cities (meaning non-rural, 75,000 to 400,000 residents) that vote dominantly "conversative" (quotes because I'm not sure what that means these days) - without doing the math, I'm willing to bet that they are the most important reason for the statewide results - plus Montgomery County, which is the only really high-population, high-growth Texas Triangle county that is "Deep Red." I would think that these non-rural "conservative" voters are a bigger factor in the results than truly rural voters.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that another reason why Texas is red is because Democrats in this state underperform when it comes to voting.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:40 PM

325 posts, read 204,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
If a political topic does come up, I might want to comment, but I keep in on the downlow here in VT, well, because it's VT and I'm a bit more on the conservative side.

In VT people will bring up politics w/out a second thought, but it's usually some flip comment about Trump or gender issues, or BIPOC. They like to virtue signal. They'll tout 'being kind' but the minute you express any type of opinion that goes against the majority viewpoints, you feel the cold shoulder. The issue is, they appear to believe everyone thinks like they do. It's insidious here and may be in places like Austin as well. But I've never lived there (going to or visit a town nearby next week, though).
School board drama has become a thing, too, but most of the other times, though, no one talks about politics in general.
Yeah, that sounds like a lot of Austin haha. In my experience it varies from area to area (haven't been up there in a good couple years now though, probably is worse now)

Idk why someone above said Lakeway is "MAGA country" if anything west Austin and Lakeway seemed like moderate/purple parts of town to me. Obviously there's the Portland type of leftists in the city, but a lot of the yuppie types in Austin generally struck me as the "say whatever is PC/afraid to go against the narrative" types. Who knows how they actually feel behind closed doors.

Old 04-02-2023, 06:05 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,566,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post

Title of thread..."Living in Austin as a non-leftist". Why label and bring it up if it's not an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
Yeah, that sounds like a lot of Austin haha. In my experience it varies from area to area (haven't been up there in a good couple years now though, probably is worse now)
I couldn't tell you. I work in Austin and my clients don't bring up politics. I find when people bring up topics like this and label, it's typically because they're more into group think and only want to be around like minded people (that's unfortunate).

Last edited by blameyourself; 04-02-2023 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2023, 08:33 AM

325 posts, read 204,932 times
Quote:
I couldn't tell you. I work in Austin and my clients don't bring up politics. I find when people bring up topics like this and label, it's typically because they're more into group think and only want to be around like minded people (that's unfortunate).
Agreed and I hear ya on the group think part. I've personally never had an issue with people I know in Austin, but I'm not the type to even bring up politics. From my experience the far left stuff just seems to be in your face in certain parts of Austin compared to other cities. Signs, protests, etc.

I'm still holding out hope that the majority of people are somewhere in the middle (regardless of the city) and just want to go about their daily lives in peace lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin