Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 06:39 PM

317 posts, read 228,651 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Dallas and live there now, but as a UT student almost 20 years ago, I noticed how people from Austin love to say the word "Austin". Does anyone else feel like its unnaturally sprinkled into conversation? Prime example: Look at the list of discussions here on the Austin board.... over half of them say the word Austin, as if we aren't to assume we are talking about Austin? In DFW we need to be specific because there are a dozen local cities we could be talking about at any given time. But Austin is just Austin with about 6 suburbs with a population of about 10,000.

And I have used the A word 7 times here, to make sure I have made quota.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:10 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Temple…

There you go. Like that?

Also for the record most of Austin’s burbs have way more than 10k people. The burbs of Austin carry the majority of the metro’s population.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:13 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Umm..not sure, I don't think I have ever paid attention to how many times it is or isn't said.

But N4C is right - right about half of the metro is in non-Austin city limits.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:36 PM

Well, seems like you haven't noticed, but I just clicked on the first page of each thread and counted the word Austin 21 times on the Austin thread, Dallas was 8 times on the Dallas thread, and Houston was 9 times on the Houston thread. Its not an attack, just an observation. Its not in my head.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:43 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Well, seems like you haven't noticed, but I just clicked on the first page of each thread and counted the word Austin 21 times on the Austin thread, Dallas was 8 times on the Dallas thread, and Houston was 9 times on the Houston thread. Its not an attack, just an observation. Its not in my head.
But was that true last week, or last month? Or an anomaly? Not defensive, just haven't noticed it.

Just did a 'ctrl-F' on the Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas starting screen, and with my browser size, I get 22, 28, 23, and 18 mentions of the city name, respectively. El Paso and Corpus were something like 15 and 16.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:04 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
I think I understand what titee saying. It’s like when your actually address is Buda, but you say you live in Austin. Unlike Dallas or Houston where the suburbs (Katy, Friendswood, Plano, Richardson, flower mound, etc) are a bit more defined and their own city suburb outside of their major city, our cities quite aren’t yet. They don’t have their own regional or even national recognition. Do I despise it when people say they live in Austin when they actually don’t? Sure. But, we’re in a different place than the other cities in our urban/suburban development. Plus people just love saying they live in Austin because it’s the cool hip place to live right now.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think I understand what titee saying. It’s like when your actually address is Buda, but you say you live in Austin. Unlike Dallas or Houston where the suburbs (Katy, Friendswood, Plano, Richardson, flower mound, etc) are a bit more defined and their own city suburb outside of their major city, our cities quite aren’t yet. They don’t have their own regional or even national recognition. Do I despise it when people say they live in Austin when they actually don’t? Sure. But, we’re in a different place than the other cities in our urban/suburban development. Plus people just love saying they live in Austin because it’s the cool hip place to live right now.
Thank you, yes, this is my point. There is a post that says "whats the best restaurant in the austin metro area" which could have just been "whats the best restaurant here" or "whats the best restaurant in town" but I promise, if you haven't noticed before, you will notice. I think the word its self just puts a smile on people's face.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:43 PM

I’ve always defined a metro area by its anchor city… and to be fair that’s alittle harder to do in Dallas (I just say DFW) … No one would know where Lawrenceville or Alpharetta GA is unless they’ve lived in the Atlanta area, therefore I say Atlanta. Likewise no one would know where Joliet Illinois is, therefore I say Chicago. Same for Federal Way, Redmond or Bothell Washington, I say Seattle. Who cares if it is or isn’t the city proper. The metro area is a collectively a federally defined unit where statistically commuters and jobs in a region are economically connected.

Old 08-14-2022, 03:57 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I’ve always defined a metro area by its anchor city… and to be fair that’s alittle harder to do in Dallas (I just say DFW) … No one would know where Lawrenceville or Alpharetta GA is unless they’ve lived in the Atlanta area, therefore I say Atlanta. Likewise no one would know where Joliet Illinois is, therefore I say Chicago. Same for Federal Way, Redmond or Bothell Washington, I say Seattle. Who cares if it is or isn’t the city proper. The metro area is a collectively a federally defined unit where statistically commuters and jobs in a region are economically connected.
Perfectly stated. And no, I'm not offended by it. I have no idea why anyone would be and quite frankly I'd say it's a bit elitist if someone is (I keep seeing images of Wayne's World and people saying "we're not worthy"). You live in Pflugerville? Well how dare you say you live in the Austin area. You're not one of us.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Perfectly stated. And no, I'm not offended by it. I have no idea why anyone would be and quite frankly I'd say it's a bit elitist if someone is (I keep seeing images of Wayne's World and people saying "we're not worthy"). You live in Pflugerville? Well how dare you say you live in the Austin area. You're not one of us.
Austin is also the only city I’ve ever lived in where this really mattered. What I find funny is the touché of irony that some of these people call themselves progressives but disclude anyone who lives outside the city limits despite the fact that this is what happened to most of Austin’s minorities, and they feel entitled to live in the hot walkable areas of Austin when they can barely afford them, which just so happens to be the same areas that gentrification supposedly forced people to move further out. Then they complain about housing prices and affordability when they’re part of the reason that housing is unaffordable. Infact they are even quicker to criticize someone who is not directly impacting their local housing prices as they have moved to a different housing market than accepting that ‘Gee.. I am impacting Austin’s housing prices just like everybody else’

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-14-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin