Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 05:09 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,504,053 times

Advertisements

Never paid attention.

Within the state, I say that I live in Round Rock. If I'm in New York, for example, I say that I live in the "Austin area".

Locally, most people in the suburbs say that they live in their respective suburb, not Austin.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:18 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,443,112 times
Let me makes sure I get this right. You are bothered by the fact that an Austin forum mentions...Austin??

Have you contacted the mods of all the city forums on CD to requset they change the name to Austin Metro Area, Houston Metro Area, Dallas Metro area, etc? I mean, it sounds like you're bothered by people in the Austin Metro area, but not actually in city limits, saying Austin, so are you bothered by the fact that it's just the "Austin" forum?

Old 08-15-2022, 05:36 PM

319 posts, read 229,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Let me makes sure I get this right. You are bothered by the fact that an Austin forum mentions...Austin??

Have you contacted the mods of all the city forums on CD to requset they change the name to Austin Metro Area, Houston Metro Area, Dallas Metro area, etc? I mean, it sounds like you're bothered by people in the Austin Metro area, but not actually in city limits, saying Austin, so are you bothered by the fact that it's just the "Austin" forum?
No I'm not bothered at all. I said I noticed that the word Austin is used more frequently than necessary. It stands out to me. Then I provided data that shows the word is used more frequently than in other places and someone tried to tell me I was wrong by presenting data that also showed the word was used more on its own forum than in other cities names in their own forums. Especially given that there is less need to differentiate areas when you are talking about Austin. If I had a problem with it I would say "why do ya'll do that" I just asked if anyone noticed.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:02 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
No, I’ve lived in the Austin metro area since 1959 and have never noticed any overuse of the city’s name.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:57 AM

3,084 posts, read 3,270,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
No I'm not bothered at all. I said I noticed that the word Austin is used more frequently than necessary. It stands out to me. Then I provided data that shows the word is used more frequently than in other places and someone tried to tell me I was wrong by presenting data that also showed the word was used more on its own forum than in other cities names in their own forums. Especially given that there is less need to differentiate areas when you are talking about Austin. If I had a problem with it I would say "why do ya'll do that" I just asked if anyone noticed.
One quite simple factor can be that a large percentage of folks in "Austin" are new to the area, or thinking about moving to the area so they have a tendency to use the location name.

Also, I find it interesting that you state "more frequently than necessary". Can you find a decent percentage of post titles where dropping Austin would not lead to any ambiguity in the post itself?

BTW, you might want to check out the Seattle forum and if you're just doing a simple word count, don't forget to cull the results where the city name is a part of the users name (unless you think that Austinites also have a tendency to use the word Austin as a part of their user names more than other metros

Old 08-16-2022, 09:13 AM

743 posts, read 1,374,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
No, I’ve lived in the Austin metro area since 1959 and have never noticed any overuse of the city’s name.
This right here.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:35 AM

3,084 posts, read 3,270,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You just proved the OP's point. You "should" have said "No, I've lived in this metro area ..."

And I say "should" since OP appears to have a distinct notion of what is "necessary".

Old 08-16-2022, 07:10 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,630,149 times
From outside the state, somebody going to Plano or Frisco might tell people they're going to Dallas. Same with Austin, somebody going to Cedar Park will probably tell people they're going to Austin. Now that I think about it, it's like that in all the large matros thru out the country, I have some cousins who live in Morrison, Colorado just outside of Denver, but when I go visit them I tell people in Austin I'm going to my cousin's in Denver, and don't even mention Morrison unless asked for specifics.

Old 08-17-2022, 08:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 530,369 times
I noticed today that the city council wants to increase their own pay 40%. But they cant increase the pay for police, fire, ems and other critical staff!

Happy you people voted in these progressives are you?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:42 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
I heard that the DA has also barred APD from making traffic stops with the excuse of protecting minorities.. ..You'll still see patrol cars on the shoulder of the highway, but they are often unmanned. I haven't seen an active APD performing traffic stops on the streets of Austin in a long time.

I get mixed opinions when the subject comes up with Austinites. Some are okay with it, some are not okay with it. I personally would not be okay with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin