Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you gotten a raise over the last 12 months?
Yes, more than 7% 10 38.46%
Yes, but less than 7% 10 38.46%
No, I have not gotten a raise 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 01:47 PM

668 posts, read 786,353 times

Advertisements

I work in tech, and this past summer I went and interviewed at a bunch of other companies. The salary explosion in my field had rendered my then-current salary really behind market rate.

I got six job offers, brought the two highest ones to my current employer, and told them I intended to depart. They offered to match the Californi-payband salary of one of my competing offers, added an additional $5k to it, promoted me, and permitted me to become a permanent telecommuter. I decided to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 01:52 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,809,237 times
40% by changing jobs + permanent WFH.

Old 01-15-2022, 03:20 PM

216 posts, read 181,209 times
Changed job to competitor, +20%. Similar responsibilities

Old 01-17-2022, 12:08 PM

539 posts, read 445,491 times
So the poll tells me that over 75% of respondents have seen a decline in their real income over the last year. Considering that rent went up 25% and RE went up like 20% that's huge.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
So the poll tells me that over 75% of respondents have seen a decline in their real income over the last year. Considering that rent went up 25% and RE went up like 20% that's huge.
Only if your mortgage payment is tied to the current market value of housing and/or you rent and your lease is up. My mortgage payment actually went down this year due to an escrow adjustment.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:44 PM

11,869 posts, read 8,102,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Only if your mortgage payment is tied to the current market value of housing and/or you rent and your lease is up. My mortgage payment actually went down this year due to an escrow adjustment.
Just dead curious, how did an escrow adjustment lower your mortgage rate? Surely your property taxes would have increased which would theoretically make a cause for an increase of your escrow payments rather than decrease no? unless...you have much more affordable insurance or you overpaid?

@cheeva
As for salary vs mortgages, I'm still way ahead on the mortgage. I refinanced while interest rates were low saving me about $400 a month which was enough to offset the decrease of income from the primary job, then paid about 6 months in advance (and still continuing to pay ahead - I want to be a minimum of 12 months ahead) while working dual jobs to keep things secure incase the sky should fall again. In a way despite the slight loss of income I think I still came out very much ahead. My property value has almost doubled meaning I have a boatload of reserve equity, they are building a mix-use development less than half a mile from my house which will add even more value and convenience, and financially speaking even if I were to completely lose my job (which hopefully doesn't come to past) I would be able to float for several months without any real hassles (the cars are also paid in advance).

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-17-2022 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-17-2022, 12:51 PM

15,278 posts, read 35,712,399 times
I doubt people included stimulus checks in their calculations.

Our gas/transportation costs plummeted. My car has had about 1,000 mi/yr on it the last two years and will easily extend the life of the vehicle by that much time. My wife's car has also seen reduced mileage, but really close to normal. We were basically able to live as a 1-car family.

No rent or mortgage, so no impacts there. Food costs have gone up, but we are eating out less, so still ahead in that area I suspect, but have not put pen to paper to know for sure.

Inflation in 2020 was 1.2 percent and 2021 about 7 percent, so that is just over 4%/year average over the last two years. In 2019, it was 1.8%, so that is ~3.3% over the three year period. I have definitely gotten more in raises than that.

The return on my 401(k) is +16% for the past year and +23% for past two.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:05 PM

11,869 posts, read 8,102,037 times
I don't know if I could even manage lower than 1,000 miles every 2 weeks let alone a year

I'm eyeing a side gig that may mean travel to San Diego every month.

Old 01-17-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just dead curious, how did an escrow adjustment lower your mortgage rate? Surely your property taxes would have increased which would theoretically make a cause for an increase of your escrow payments rather than decrease no? unless...you have much more affordable insurance or you overpaid?
The tax assessment on my house was more than what I paid for it. The county adjusted my assessment to the purchase price when I disputed the assessment last year. And my property tax rate went down slightly.

Old 01-17-2022, 05:12 PM

2,335 posts, read 818,827 times
I'm an independent contractor and also saw a large increase on private work (brick and mortar is the same, which is why I'm dropping that in the next 2 weeks). In addition, we refinanced our home which would have equated to $400 less on our monthly mortgage payment. We opted to take $40k cash out instead for furniture and to pay down higher debt. My wife was promoted so a nice increase for her and also received a large bonus. Life's pretty good right now.

P.S. Other cool things:

-Electricity cost went down significantly in our 2700 sf house vs 1100 sf apartment
-Practically no mileage on one car with the Mrs doing WFH, so gas costs down and vehicle depreciation down similar to Trainwreck
-Similar on Retirement fund return on stock market
-Not a big deal but paper gain on house since 2017 is roughly 65% (made it easy to get the cash out on the refi). This will result in higher property taxes but at least that's capped on a yearly basis (if for some reason we decided to leave, we would have netted over $200k by doing nothing but buying a house). Our other home just outside SF is up even more over that time frame

Last edited by dicipher; 01-17-2022 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin