Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2021, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 3,792 times

Advertisements

My family is looking for a place with privacy on larger lots but not too far out from the city. I passed by La Ventana and was in awe of how beautiful the place is. I'm considering buying a property or land on La Ventana but I've been reading (old posts) about some past issues with water, propane, HOA litigation and crazy rules. Can someone update me on what's going on there? Are these resolved?
Also - Any other pros and cons? Other 1 acre places I should consider in Dripping/Driftwood/Wimberley area? I have small kids, so definitely looking to build a community. Do they have many kids there.or is it mostly retirees? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 11:04 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
We have friends that lived there through all the litigation issues. I believe they were resolved. Im not sure if you can drill your own well or if you can have your own propane tank vs. buying their expensive utilities.

I personally think it is really far away. You pretty much arent in austin so there isnt really much reason to move to the over priced austin area.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:02 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
I have a place out in Wimberley now. Dripping has matured to the point where most of what you need for daily living is out there without having to come into Austin.

If you will be commuting into Austin, you'll need to consider the drive. It's not that bad even from Wimberley but I don't do it everyday.

It does have a low 1.87% tax rate, as it doesn't belong to any municipal jurisdiction other than County. HOA is $110/month though, which is pretty high.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:32 PM

Thank you so much for your replies. @Austin-steve - is your place in La Ventana or somewhere else? I'd need to go Austin downtown 3x week for work during rush hours either from Driftwood or somewhere in Dripping (is what I am considering, because I want space and privacy), do you think it's doable? Schools and hospitals seem to be ~20-25 min which is not great but not that bad... @Austin97- I hear your point. La Ventana is definitely an upscale community and it's absolutely gorgeous so yes, the prices are higher, but you will never get a place so beautiful, land in Austin, so I guess it's something to weight. The water issues do scare me, I don't know if are resolved. Do you really think it's far? It seems to be 30 minfrom Austin, 45 on a bad day, 12 min from groceries, it sdoesn't sound so bad but maybe I am missing something ?

Old 07-25-2021, 08:47 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times
Isn't the community split up between 2 (possibly even 3) different ISD's? At least I thought it was when we were looking, so we passed.

How about the Preserve or Polo Club in Dripping? Both would be a much better/closer commute to ATX. Another community we like is Bunker Hill (also in Drip).

Old 07-25-2021, 10:45 AM

Thank you for your reply. May I ask, what's wrong with having 3 different ISD's? Sorry fory ignorance! The lots available are in a place.called The Preserve in La Ventana (not sure if it's the same you mentioned?) But the schools are all defined (Wimberley ISD). The one thing that's important to me is good schools, low tax rates, space while having a sense of community. It's a pretty heavy list with many opposites but I've seen places like this. I'm not so sure about the community in La Ventana though for people with small kids...
3x week commuting to Austin downtown doesnt sound so bad (~45min with some traffic)... But maybe i am missing something....

And I know about all the Texas bugs , Scorpions, fire ants, red head centipede, snakes. The one that definitely scares me the most is the kissing bug given the Chagas disease, which i hear is present in the region. Any experiences with that anyone?

Old 07-25-2021, 12:26 PM

743 posts, read 1,371,094 times
Nothing's inherently wrong with having different ISDs within a neighborhood, but some families like the idea that their kids go to school with all the neighborhood kids, in the sense that it can build stronger community. It's fun for kids to have friends in the neighborhood that they know from school--makes life easier, to the extent that they can walk and bike to each others' homes. Although you could also argue that you'd like your kids to meet friends from other schools---there's value in that, too, if it happens. Our kids tended to become closer to the kids in the neighborhood that went to their public school, only because they knew each other from the bus, playground, classroom, sports, etc. It's not something I fully appreciated until it blossomed organically. But it sure made life easy when they wanted to see friends after school because so many were neighbors.

The other consideration is whether there is a difference in quality of the schools that the neighborhood zones to. You'd want to factor that into your home search if you prefer one track vs the other. It's my understanding that the Dripping Springs schools are stronger than the Wimberley schools, but of course that's a gross generalization and it probably comes down to the individual schools within each ISD...again time to drill down so your kids end up in the schools you'd like to see them attend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin