Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 10,112 times

Advertisements

My family is considering building a house in La Ventana. We looked in Rim Rock but didn't want to get raped every month by the additional taxes for water. So we figured the additional 5 min drive wasn't so bad.

1) Is this neighborhood mainly a retirement neighborhood? My wife and I are both 39 and we have a 8 month old and a 7 year old. This would be a long term move for us, hopefully a place we could even retire. So looking for a family oriented neighborhood that does have some families with kids to possibly make friends.

2) I have read a bunch about "the evil ROA regime". I have only seen one person out of all the post I have read on here referring to this.
Is there another side to this story?
I would love a strict HOA that enforce deed restrictions, I take care of my house and land and I follow the rules. Right now our current neighborhood the HOA sucks, they don't enforce crap, so people just do what they want.

3) The water issues concerns me a little, if this new second well runs dry what is their option? Add a third?

4) Will I need a water softener since it's on well water?

5) Anything else we need to check into or watch out for? Hidden cost that we aren't realizing yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by jlgaustin; 04-02-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 10,965 times
We just moved here and La Ventana was at the top of my list. We looked at 4 different houses there. 3 out of the 4 appeared to have children. I had heard about the water issues and that was a concern of mine as well. I asked around, including my real estate agent, and was told that certain wells were only dug so deep (into the first aquaphor) and they were the ones that had issues. Since you are building, I would just make sure that they dig into the second aquaphor. I did hear that when the wells did run dry that they had to had water shipped in! Of course, this information isn't from experience, just what I heard from others! We ended up in Lakeway....my husbands a city boy and Driftwood was a little too far out for him! But it was by far our favorite "sub-division" we looked at....and we looked everywhere! Good luck!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:59 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
With gas on it's way to eventually being $4 (again) to $5+ per gallon, the property values in far flung areas like La Ventana are going to take a hit. I'd assume the worst and make sure you're ok with the commuting costs.

Have you checked out Granada Oaks? City of Austin water, PEC electric, septic system, 1+ acre lots, and a 1.87% tax rate. 17 minutes from downtown. Drive through and have a look. It blows Rim Rock and La Ventana out of the water once you factor in Total Cost of Ownership and location.

Steve

Old 04-17-2011, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 17,335 times
Hi - I've lived in La Ventana for many years. We have around 40-50 kids in the neighborhood I would guess. Lots of family activities - Easter egg hunt, camp outs, hay rides, back to school parties, etc. I personally have never had water problems though we do go on outdoor watering restrictions just like everyone in the Austin area during the late summer.

I do have a water softener and recommend it as well as an ro filter.

La Ventana is very unique in it's natural beauty and community amenities and activities.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
see La Ventana Vista to find out more about what's going on with the lawsuits/legal proceedings, propane monopoly, water issues, HOA problems, etc.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,789 times
Hi, I really like the La Ventana neighborhood.
But a bit concerned about it being isolated. Is this a family-oriented area? Is there an issue with transportation to the Hays ISD Schools? They seem really far away.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,860 times
Isn't Granada Oaks AISD?

My concern with La Ventana is that I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure you all will, lol!) the community is split between 3 separate school districts!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:29 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hts View Post
Isn't Granada Oaks AISD?

My concern with La Ventana is that I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, which I'm sure you all will, lol!) the community is split between 3 separate school districts!
No, it is all Hays, barely - and a LONG way away from any school. Just W and S is Wimberley, which may be closer.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,860 times
Sorry, I guess I got this community confused with another one I looked at in Driftwood. I know that one of them was split up into 3 different school systems, which is just plain silly--maybe time to research/clarify.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
la ventana is mostly retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin