Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 06:23 AM

62 posts, read 67,178 times

Advertisements

I've been making threads all over the forum, talking to different people and looking at different places. I moved to Austin from San Diego last December. Basically just couldn't afford even the crappiest apartment in SD anymore, and my bf liked Austin a lot, and it was more affordable, so we went for it. Moved to the northwest side of town, in a sort of wooded area with lots of trees.

I was very happy here at first but lately I'm struggling with the bugs and the heat. I've always been scared of roaches, but I think I've developed a full blown phobia since moving here. I lived in deserts all my life (inland SD county, AZ, NM) and I'm used to living with them. I think it's the fact that they fly here, and the sheer size.

At the end of May, when I first started noticing them, I was trying to be cool about it. I would force myself to go on walks and runs after dark. Running, walking and biking at night has always been how I stay sane, so I knew I couldn't lose that.

Well, the more I started noticing them, the harder it became to go outside at night. I was bringing home groceries late one night (I get off work around 9pm usually), and as I opened my front door, a big one flew and landed on my shoulder, then flew into my house, to later be discovered by my cat. I couldn't believe how badly I reacted when I saw it - shaking and running and hiding in the bedroom. I immediately started brainstorming how to leave Austin immediately.

It's embarrassing how bad I've let this become, but it is what it is. My stress levels have been insane. I've developed insomnia, sleeping at the weirdest times, too much, too little, during the night, usually during the day. Then I feel trapped inside all night, just wanting to go outside and move. But then daytime comes, and I'm usually asleep during sunrise hours, working during sunset hours, and it's too hot midday. I feel like my health is starting to decline.

I know it sounds overly dramatic, but I've just been struggling. I keep thinking I can just learn to be happy here and get over my problems, and then I end up researching other cities for weeks on end. I haven't found anywhere that I want to go, that isn't in the south to avoid the bug situation, but that I can also afford and that my boyfriend would like. I think he's starting to like it here and he seems happier than he's been in a while, and I'm realizing that maybe I need to figure out how to be happy here.

I keep fantasizing about living somewhere cold, wearing sweaters and drinking hot drinks and taking walks in the evening without worrying about being caught after dark. The heat has been making me irritable almost every day. At this point I'm losing my sanity, and I know I need to let go of my roach fears, which is rediculous because they are harmless little guys that aren't actually trying to fly at you, they just seem to kind of panic and fly in a random direction, as horrible as that is to me. I also need to, for now, try to embrace the heat, the sun, the sweating.

So many people love it here, so many people move here every day. I know there must be so many redeeming qualities. Right now, I think I need to stop focusing on moving states (this is already the third state I've been in within the last 9 months!), and just try to change myself instead.

Has anyone been through any of this? Any advice? Can you recommend some fun things to do at this time of year for people who don't like crowds? And any tips for getting over my fear of roaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 07:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,517,404 times
I feel the same way about scorpions so I’m somewhat understanding.

It’s hard to control roaches in apartment buildings because you have a lot of people in a small space and unless everyone has the same cleanliness standards it’s hard to control.

You need to kill the roach’s food source in order to reduce their numbers. You can look into hiring your own pest control service IF your apartment complex allows it. If not then treat your own apartment. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around all windows and entryways. Put sticky traps out. Make sure you keep all food put away and the kitchen sink clean.

Austin has lots of tree roaches. You can’t eradicate them entirely. If you can “hang” another year or so you’ll probably find them much less bothersome.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
You could try a different location - I have not seen a roach in our neighborhood in years that I can recall.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:57 AM

The household, small German roaches don't bother me quite as much, since I am so used to them from my time in Albuquerque, Tuscon, and San Diego. Only twice have I lived somewhere without German roaches. I've found gel bait is remarkable at getting rid of them. I once went to a friend's apartment, after a very dirty neighbor moved, and they were infested with the little baby German roaches. Soon after, I was introduced to the wonders of gel bait, when I came back several nights later to hang out, and you would see dead ones hiding in the patterns of the living room rug, or dead on the kitchen floors and countertops. One more week after that and there were none. Presumably they take the bait back to their nests, and it kills all of them.

I have definitely moved many times to try to escape/avoid these kinds I found in California, but they don't bother me as much. I'd walk around on a dark street in the middle of an urban area in San Diego and sometimes you'd see a ton of them scurrying around, and it's not my favorite thing in the world but I don't run from them.

These tree roaches are on a completely different level, though.

What neighborhood are you in? I'm in a tree-heavy neighborhood that always ends up losing power at every opportunity due to the amount of trees. I'm assuming the amount of trees accounts for how many I've seen. It's a nice area, but I wouldn't mind relocating to be in walking distance to more stuff.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:17 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
I am in a SW Austin neighborhood and while there are a ton of 'yard' trees, we don't back up to a greenbelt or anything. I happen to be within walking distance to HEB and Escarpment village, but that is not the norm for the area. Legacy at Western Oaks (https://www.apartments.com/legacy-at...in-tx/4lj0z7h/) would be the closest to 'walking distance' that I am aware of in the area, but it is an even mile to Escarpment Village and just under that to HEB. Parkside Village is just under a half mile, though.

I have no idea whether there are tree roaches there or not, though. The tree roaches are not as reliant on indoor 'dirt' as 'real' roaches, so the prevalence is not as driven as much by shared walls as German roaches.

I do not know what the rental market is like, but those units appear to start at $1,500 a month for the 1 bdrm units....which was just about our house payment when we had a 15 year mortgage....

Old 07-02-2021, 09:38 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times
Im putting on my clinician hat here for a second. It sounds like this is really bothering you to the point that your life is impacted on several different levels. It sounds silly, but I’d look into doing a bit of therapy (maybe even just a few through an employer EAP program) to talk about your recent move and all the changes that have happened. There’s been good advice about keeping things clean, but I’ll be honest. I haven’t seen a roach at home in the last four years…which coincides with me moving from a dumpster fire of sn apartment complex to a much newer well maintained complex.

Old 07-02-2021, 09:54 AM

11,848 posts, read 8,055,347 times
I have 6 cats and feel sorry for any roach that intrudes my house. Never get to see their remains.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:42 AM

I'm definitely in the process of getting to a therapist, but there is a long wait list these days. I'm going to try spending mornings outside if I happen to be awake, so then it won't be so hard staying indoors all night.

Thankfully we don't have roaches IN the apartment, except the one that hitched a ride on my shoulder. Previous place in California wasn't up to code and was infested with rats and full of trash that never got cleaned up, and we just rented a bedroom there, so didn't have any ability to remedy the problems. Spent 3 years there, so I'm used to living in less than ideal situations, so I'll probably adapt eventually.

I did also recently adopt two cats and I was glad to see that they were pretty enthusiastic about the big roach.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:38 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,366,251 times
We’ve only seen 3 of the big roaches in our house over 26 years. Twice in the dishwasher - dunno why, as we rinse all dirty dishes clean with hot water before loading).
Never have seen those small agerman roaches in any of our homes.

Lucky us?

Old 07-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Inside the dishwasher? That's bizarre. I know they love water and tight, dark spaces, but still a weird place to end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin