Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 07:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,752,069 times

Advertisements

Im a night runner and have never seen a cockroach on my runs. I’ve run downtown, south, in mueller, and a few other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 09:38 PM

743 posts, read 1,377,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Im a night runner and have never seen a cockroach on my runs. I’ve run downtown, south, in mueller, and a few other places.
My son is a night runner and tells me that the main reason he brings a flashlight is to avoid stepping on the roaches. Sees a bunch of them on his nighttime runs during the warmer months.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 13,752,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakely View Post
My son is a night runner and tells me that the main reason he brings a flashlight is to avoid stepping on the roaches. Sees a bunch of them on his nighttime runs during the warmer months.
A stepped on roach is better then a flying roach, I guess. It’s not something I see. But, I always have a head kemp because I’m a klutz.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:10 AM

743 posts, read 1,377,539 times
Quote:
A stepped on roach is better then a flying roach, I guess. It’s not something I see. But, I always have a head kemp because I’m a klutz.
Ha! Agreed.

I'll take a stepped-on over a flying one....and let's keep this conversation going to see if it might help put a lid on these rising property valuations!

Old 07-09-2021, 05:47 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,652,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UhaulAholic View Post
I've been making threads all over the forum, talking to different people and looking at different places. I moved to Austin from San Diego last December. Basically just couldn't afford even the crappiest apartment in SD anymore, and my bf liked Austin a lot, and it was more affordable, so we went for it. Moved to the northwest side of town, in a sort of wooded area with lots of trees.

I was very happy here at first but lately I'm struggling with the bugs and the heat. I've always been scared of roaches, but I think I've developed a full blown phobia since moving here. I lived in deserts all my life (inland SD county, AZ, NM) and I'm used to living with them. I think it's the fact that they fly here, and the sheer size.

At the end of May, when I first started noticing them, I was trying to be cool about it. I would force myself to go on walks and runs after dark. Running, walking and biking at night has always been how I stay sane, so I knew I couldn't lose that.

Well, the more I started noticing them, the harder it became to go outside at night. I was bringing home groceries late one night (I get off work around 9pm usually), and as I opened my front door, a big one flew and landed on my shoulder, then flew into my house, to later be discovered by my cat. I couldn't believe how badly I reacted when I saw it - shaking and running and hiding in the bedroom. I immediately started brainstorming how to leave Austin immediately.

It's embarrassing how bad I've let this become, but it is what it is. My stress levels have been insane. I've developed insomnia, sleeping at the weirdest times, too much, too little, during the night, usually during the day. Then I feel trapped inside all night, just wanting to go outside and move. But then daytime comes, and I'm usually asleep during sunrise hours, working during sunset hours, and it's too hot midday. I feel like my health is starting to decline.

I know it sounds overly dramatic, but I've just been struggling. I keep thinking I can just learn to be happy here and get over my problems, and then I end up researching other cities for weeks on end. I haven't found anywhere that I want to go, that isn't in the south to avoid the bug situation, but that I can also afford and that my boyfriend would like. I think he's starting to like it here and he seems happier than he's been in a while, and I'm realizing that maybe I need to figure out how to be happy here.

I keep fantasizing about living somewhere cold, wearing sweaters and drinking hot drinks and taking walks in the evening without worrying about being caught after dark. The heat has been making me irritable almost every day. At this point I'm losing my sanity, and I know I need to let go of my roach fears, which is rediculous because they are harmless little guys that aren't actually trying to fly at you, they just seem to kind of panic and fly in a random direction, as horrible as that is to me. I also need to, for now, try to embrace the heat, the sun, the sweating.

So many people love it here, so many people move here every day. I know there must be so many redeeming qualities. Right now, I think I need to stop focusing on moving states (this is already the third state I've been in within the last 9 months!), and just try to change myself instead.

Has anyone been through any of this? Any advice? Can you recommend some fun things to do at this time of year for people who don't like crowds? And any tips for getting over my fear of roaches?
You shouldn't have to be feeling so bad about roaches. You can fix the situation.

Since you asked for advice, I would advise you to :

Be sure and check thru the fresh fruits and vegetables at the grocery. Especially bananas. And check the grocery sacks for roaches before putting your groceries in them. It's very easy to bring roaches home from the grocery store and not even realize it.

I'm not saying you don't, but it's important to keep your place clean and clutter free. Don't leave any food out, not even little crumbs. But you have to stay at it. You can't let it slide, not for even a day. You really do have to stay on top it.

Keep things like breakfast cereal, flour, sugar, pancake mix, corneal, crackers, snacks, etc in the refrigerator.

Get some Black Flag o rCombat roach hotels and put them thru out your house. Especially the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room. Just switch out brands each time you buy them because I've heard they build up an immunity to the hotel poison.

Keep a can of Raid Ant And Roach Killer or something similar nearby so you can spray them when you see them. Also, keep a can in your car.

Have an exterminator come out on a regular schedule and spray.

That's about all I can think of. If you do all those things, you shouldn't have a roach problem Hope it helps. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2021, 04:12 PM

62 posts, read 67,547 times
Quote:
Now why didn't I think of that. I ran the other evening, right before sunset, and they started coming out a little earlier than I expected. Great way to improve your speed! Haha. Every time I ran under a big tree (which was almost the whole time) I felt pretty motivated to book it even though I was already winded. My heart and lungs are feeling pretty good today, thanks to the extra exertion. Thanks roaches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You shouldn't have to be feeling so bad about roaches. You can fix the situation.

Be sure and check thru the fresh fruits and vegetables at the grocery. Especially bananas. And check the grocery sacks for roaches before putting your groceries in them. It's very easy to bring roaches home from the grocery store and not even realize it.

I'm not saying you don't, but it's important to keep your place clean and clutter free. Don't leave any food out, not even little crumbs. But you have to stay at it. You can't let it slide, not for even a day. You really do have to stay on top it.

Keep things like breakfast cereal, flour, sugar, pancake mix, corneal, crackers, snacks, etc in the refrigerator.

Get some Black Flag o rCombat roach hotels and put them thru out your house. Especially the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room. Just switch out brands each time you buy them because I've heard they build up an immunity to the hotel poison.

Keep a can of Raid Ant And Roach Killer or something similar nearby so you can spray them when you see them. Also, keep a can in your car.

That's about all I can think of. If you do all those things, you shouldn't have a roach problem Hope it helps. Good luck.
Thank you so much for the advice. I didn't realize they could be in produce - I will look out for that from now on. I don't have an infestation thankfully, but I've had countless infestations in the past due to dirty roommates. I think getting other people to be clean might actually be harder than getting rid of an infestation, ha. Bonus points if you can manage to keep your roommates as friends afterwards. Thankfully college is over and I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:08 AM

12,971 posts, read 13,414,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

And I will add.... keep your kitchen trash can free of scrap foods, melon rinds, egg shells, greasy paper towels, etc.
We seal all such stuff in plastic wrap or reused sealable sandwich bags and put it in the freezer to be disposed of on garbage collection day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin