Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 07:37 PM

66 posts, read 58,787 times

Advertisements

I came back from Austin few days ago, which was my first visit there. Was able to visit / drive through: Manchaca, Buda, Kyle, Manor, Pflugerville, Hutto, Round Rock, Leander. And, to be honest, I didn't like it I wasn't expecting such horrible roads (I35 towards south Austin), so many poor areas (parts of Manchaca / Buda) and seeing 15 homeless people during 1.5h walk in Downtown. Florida seems like a much better / nicer place to live, unless I was very unlucky.

Out of the areas I visited, probably Leander was the nicest. Hutto was not bad ($459K for new 4bdr home), but commute would probably kill me. Thinking more and more about just renting there instead of buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 08:40 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumik View Post
I came back from Austin few days ago, which was my first visit there. Was able to visit / drive through: Manchaca, Buda, Kyle, Manor, Pflugerville, Hutto, Round Rock, Leander. And, to be honest, I didn't like it I wasn't expecting such horrible roads (I35 towards south Austin), so many poor areas (parts of Manchaca / Buda) and seeing 15 homeless people during 1.5h walk in Downtown. Florida seems like a much better / nicer place to live, unless I was very unlucky.

Out of the areas I visited, probably Leander was the nicest. Hutto was not bad ($459K for new 4bdr home), but commute would probably kill me. Thinking more and more about just renting there instead of buying.
We're glad you enjoyed America's #1 city to live in!

Old 06-28-2021, 11:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumik View Post

That should be the rule of thumb when relocating - rent before you make a half million dollar decision.

Leander is nice but unless you live where the views are, there isn’t much to differentiate it from the other suburban cities tbh. Same type of cookie cutter housing and the commute can be just as longish. It does have transit options though.

So much for that homeless camping ban eh? Maybe they can’t camp on the street but they’re free to loiter and squat on the street, lol.

Florida can be a mixed bag just like Texas.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:56 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Glad you visited before relocating and realized what I said in my very first post, that the suburbs are further than a 30 minute commute.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:04 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times
Crumik, just based on your posts, I'm not convinced you would be happy in Austin. I think you would be happy if you could get in a time machine and travel back to a cheaper version of Austin that existed 15-20 years ago... but the reality is, for what you are willing to pay, you would be looking at a perfectly safe but blue-collar neighborhood, and a long commute to downtown.

You keep talking wistfully about how where you currently are in Florida you can get a huge 5Bdrm with a deck and a pool for the same price in a nice neighborhood, so I guess I'm just not understanding why you're so eager to move.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Crumik, just based on your posts, I'm not convinced you would be happy in Austin. I think you would be happy if you could get in a time machine and travel back to a cheaper version of Austin that existed 15-20 years ago... but the reality is, for what you are willing to pay, you would be looking at a perfectly safe but blue-collar neighborhood, and a long commute to downtown.

You keep talking wistfully about how where you currently are in Florida you can get a huge 5Bdrm with a deck and a pool for the same price in a nice neighborhood, so I guess I'm just not understanding why you're so eager to move.
These were my thoughts as well. The OP has only just visited the place and there's already stuff he doesn't agree with. I personally would just stay put given the OP's opinion of the place. He doesn't 'have' to move from the sounds of it. If you don't 'have' to move for a job or something I just don't feel your impression of the place will improve over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That should be the rule of thumb when relocating - rent before you make a half million dollar decision.

Leander is nice but unless you live where the views are, there isn’t much to differentiate it from the other suburban cities tbh. Same type of cookie cutter housing and the commute can be just as longish. It does have transit options though.

So much for that homeless camping ban eh? Maybe they can’t camp on the street but they’re free to loiter and squat on the street, lol.

Florida can be a mixed bag just like Texas.
I personally chose Leander due to Cap Metro Rail but I think we're going to end up losing it as the city council is polling a vote to keep or remove it.

The Toll Road isn't too bad but can cost about $200 a month to use consistently.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-29-2021 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 10:21 PM

66 posts, read 58,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
These were my thoughts as well. The OP has only just visited the place and there's already stuff he doesn't agree with. I personally would just stay put given the OP's opinion of the place. He doesn't 'have' to move from the sounds of it. If you don't 'have' to move for a job or something I just don't feel your impression of the place will improve over time.

I personally chose Leander due to Cap Metro Rail but I think we're going to end up losing it as the city council is polling a vote to keep or remove it.

The Toll Road isn't too bad but can cost about $200 a month to use consistently.
You are both right. It does feel like my first impressions are far from great. The only problem is that I will, unfortunately, NEED to move - I accepted the job offer. There were few places to pick from for work location (Sunnyvale, Seattle, Atlanta, Austin) - I decided on Austin, mainly because of the weather.

And, to be fair, Florida prices are not so great right now as well - I was just lucky to buy the house in 2016, before the prices started to rise. Bought the house for $300K, worth $430K now. My current salary in Florida was $140K, my new salary in Austin will be $190K - I think it's worth it. What also helps is that I really didn't like my current job here.

And, I don't mind blue-collar neighborhoods at all. But really afraid to be stuck in 50min commute, when everybody is back in the office in September. Leaning more and more towards renting for some time and asking for permission to work remote after 2 years. I would be able to go back to my current Florida home, if all of this works out.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:09 PM

To be fair, Atlanta has better weather than we do. I’ve lived in ATL. It doesn’t get as hot in the summer and they don’t get as frequent violent storms as we do. It does get more humid during the summer though.

I lived in Seattle and the dreary overcast never bothered me but I guess I can see why some people have a distaste for it. I’m guessing you’re writing Sunnyvale CA off due to the costs.

In none of the cities you mentioned however will you have a commute 30 mins or less while obtaining an affordable house, unless you choose to rent, even that will nix Seattle and Sunnyvale.

Old 06-30-2021, 05:29 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
I have a friend in her late 20s from the Orlando area. She’s in tech sales and moved here to start her career at Oracle. She is a triathlete and complains every time I workout with her about our weather. Not sure how our Esther is better. I guess you’re stuck. Find some good podcasts and see if you might be able to have a later/earlier schedule.

Another area that perhaps might be an option is Easton Park. It’s 78744. It’s in Austin proper and a bit “out there” Anne iTunes wise. You’d wa t to stay in Easton Park or very nearby because it’s an area in transition. I have another friend, with two kids, who I visit regularly in the area. I may get some feedback from locals about it being a trash area (it’s in transition for sure), but it might be an easier commute.

Old 06-30-2021, 10:08 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
To be honest with you, I don't think you really got an indepth look at the areas you've been visiting - just cursory drive throughs because there are a lot more 'nice' areas....

Also not sure how you'd prefer the weather here over Florida's, considering it's both muggy and hot here...they're a wash as far as I'm concerned... you visited during an anomaly..because normally we'd be hitting 100 right about now, but instead it's in the 90s and high humidity. Pick your poison.

In your case, renting is 100% the way to go. You may consider southern round rock area next to the 45 toll road. It is closer in and easy access to Mopac. There's the train at Howard Lane.

The train ride from leander is an hour and as popular as it is nowadays, you may not get a seat even if it's the first stop.
I ditched the train for the bus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin