Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 11:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,521,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Adding it here just in case anyone needed or cared for the update on the offer in San Marcos. They were outbid by a "considerably higher offer." I'm not even going to be upset when people put in asking and get outbid in the Austin metro anymore. They were the 1st offer in.
Sorry to hear that :/ Really, it's looking that right now in this frenzied market they simply don't have enough to play the game. The sad reality is that they either need to broaden their desired area or somehow come up with enough funds to outbid the others. Or just stay put. Are they selling their own home and using that money to move up?

I don't have a crystal ball, but I am glad we bought when we did because our home would now be much higher to buy. Also glad that this home was the 'move up' home so that staying put for another 15 years wouldn't be such a bother. You have people paying way more than we did for homes that are smaller and don't have pools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 12:11 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,733,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Sorry to hear that :/ Really, it's looking that right now in this frenzied market they simply don't have enough to play the game. The sad reality is that they either need to broaden their desired area or somehow come up with enough funds to outbid the others. Or just stay put. Are they selling their own home and using that money to move up?

I don't have a crystal ball, but I am glad we bought when we did because our home would now be much higher to buy. Also glad that this home was the 'move up' home so that staying put for another 15 years wouldn't be such a bother. You have people paying way more than we did for homes that are smaller and don't have pools.
They’re renting currently. It’s a dump of a house where the landlord just kind of left it to us. I’ve suggested they buy it from the owner, remodel, sell, and use any profit to add on to down payment. But I worry about a lot of the things people do here, if they sell the rental, they’re going to be in a pinch to find a new home. And the market in SA isn’t the same as Austin.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:22 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Our neighbor is a Realtor and has recently put two offers in for $100K over asking here in Steiner (78732) and was outbid both times. A house here that just closed this week was listed for $849K and sold for $1.25 million, almost 50% over ask.

Honestly, if you have the choice, I would get out of the game right now and wait a while. I don't think prices are really going to go down, but I think the frenzy will settle.

Another issue here is that even rents are being bid up. And people who have had rental houses here forever are deciding to capitalize on the market and sell their rental homes, leaving the renters with very few options of places to go.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,267,859 times
Where in the heck are people getting all this money to do the bidding?

For the record, you guys, Austin is not the only market like this. It seems that basically anywhere in the U.S. that was hot or somewhat hot before covid, is now in absurd frenzy mode.

Just looked up San Antonio. It's still quite a bit cheaper than Austin, more inventory, but it looks like things have spiked there too. There are Austin-like neighborhoods where the spike is intense.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-06-2021 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-06-2021, 09:35 PM

164 posts, read 364,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
California people have too much cash from their stock options.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:57 PM

11,856 posts, read 8,084,115 times
Quote:

For the record, you guys, Austin is not the only market like this. It seems that basically anywhere in the U.S. that was hot or somewhat hot before covid, is now in absurd frenzy mode.

Just looked up San Antonio. It's still quite a bit cheaper than Austin, more inventory, but it looks like things have spiked there too. There are Austin-like neighborhoods where the spike is intense.
Equity in their former homes.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:04 PM

28 posts, read 23,707 times
Quote:

Our house in SA sold in 4 days. Just not enough inventory.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:06 AM

12,960 posts, read 13,386,884 times
Quote:

Some friends in Traverse City, Michigan ran into the same kind of bidding war competition to get their home two weeks ago. They “won” the house only because the highest bidder had to back out.

Another couple had to beat several other bidders to win their Kentucky house out in the middle of nowhere six months ago.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:22 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,733,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyreader View Post
Our house in SA sold in 4 days. Just not enough inventory.
If I had my life together I'd go get a job for AISD and buy a house in the neighborhood I grew up in near Shavano Park. The homes are priced about the same as a tear down in east Austin and I would have access to all the things I love here, just there. But, I don't and I can't buy right now. Even then, it doesn't look as crazy as it does here.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:32 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,471,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
More conjecture and stereotyping.

Prejudice: an unfair and unreasonable opinion or feeling, especially when formed without enough thought or knowledge

Remember everyone. If you're on unemployment, it doesn't matter what you did before that. You're simply a deadbeat that goes to Mickey D's
This is what happens when you get Faux News is your go-to source. Misinformation spreads more rapidly on right-wing propaganda channels than (sadly) social media!

The restaurant and retail workers took the brunt of the COVID infections and deaths when they were essential employees (but not front liners with doctors, nurses, fire/police thanks to the class issue perpetuated by the PR industry) during the lockdown era. Most of the deaths were caused by anti-maskers; some say that the anti-mask movement was cooked up by white supremacists to weaponize COVID on people of color who largely work in the service industry.

The pay right now for restaurant and retail workers is not commiserate with the risks of catching COVID. Even coal miners back in the day made a middle-class salary because of the hazard premium. Slick entrepreneurs are trying to skirt the market and use the savings from paying the hazard premium to pad their profits/pockets! Economics 101 and the free-market only apply to the capitalists, not the workers.

Obviously anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers are the obstacle from getting back to normal. There was lots of ruckus about ending the lockdown early, but not much about ending the actual viral emergency. Just lots of complacency--and the general defeatism leaves no doubt that America is in decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin