Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:45 AM

97 posts, read 135,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb9494 View Post
Why Austin?? There was an F5 tornado just north of Georgetown in 97 that killed dozens of people and it literally ripped the foundation out of the ground. My sister worked at the hill country galleria out in Bee Cave (just outside of Austin) and a tornado went right over them at work...something else to be weary of....homes need new roofs, hvac systems, etc MUCH more frequently then places of less humidity and extreme weather. My parents own a house in Georgetown and maintenance really adds up. And property taxes are high. Not to mention, homes aren't as cheap as they once were. Not trying to be rude but texas isn't the texas miracle anymore like it once was. Just really make sure it's what you want.
My home was affected by the Whittier narrows earthquake many years ago, it was very scary and people died in that too. Tornadoes I imagine is just as scary and devastating but the difference, correct me if I'm wrong but you normally know when it's coming? Earthquakes, you don't. it's pretty terrifying when you are caught off guard when your home sounds like it's going to come down on you.

Maintenance of the homes with extreme weather is a great tip. Thank you. What would you say the average for maintenance in a home due to these weather concerns cost annually? How often does one have to replace roof or other repairs?

Taxes I see are a bit higher, but considering out of pocket cost with hoas here (I pay over 400 a month just in HOA) plus taxes and insurance. It's still less in Texas.

When I look at what I can get here vs what I can get in Texas, it's still a Texas miracle to me because prices in California have increased as well and it's outrageous.

We have spoken to a first responder in regards to the risk of tornadoes and let me just say you guys seem to be better prepared for a natural disaster than California.

I'm definitely doing my research to make sure it's the right move for me. Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I really hate to be a second Debbie downer but cantfixstupid is on the right track, troll of not.

Why Austin? Have you visited Texas before? Is it the lower cost of living? The things you've heard online/read/seen on TV? Do you have any connection to Austin?

You'll have to excuse some of our snark and seemingly rude responses, but if you search 'California' within this forum you'll see very similar posts that date back even to last week.

Your budget is low for the Austin area. How big of a house are you looking for? What will your daughter be doing? I will recommend renting for a while before buying. When I moved to the Austin area I thought I would be happy in the burbs but six months later I moved central and am 10 minutes from downtown and would not change it for a thing.

The weather is iffy here and if you're looking to avoid severe weather you'd might as well cross off Texas in general. As mentioned before there are scattered tornadoes in the area. It's worth being prepared for and knowing where the safest places to be in the house are, but it's not "tornado alley" of Oklahoma and Kansas. We also have flash floods. I would worry about that more than anything. And the heat, oh the heat. The heat and humidity take a while to get used to. And if you have any seasonal allergies in California you might as well buy stock in Allegra, Claritin and all the sinus medications you have ever heard of.

With all that said, welcome if I haven't scared you off (also do look into San Antonio, that budget will get you far and depending on where in SA you live you'd be within an hour drive of Austin on a good day).
You bring up a good point. Initially I was staying away from Austin due to being told about the allergies. My daughter has allergies and gets sinus infections. So that was one of my concerns, however when I researched cities on this specific allergy concerns Austin or surrounding areas didn't make the list. So how bad is it exactly? I heard it's the cedar mostly correct?

Old 11-28-2017, 12:05 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,120,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MovingForward View Post
You bring up a good point. Initially I was staying away from Austin due to being told about the allergies. My daughter has allergies and gets sinus infections. So that was one of my concerns, however when I researched cities on this specific allergy concerns Austin or surrounding areas didn't make the list. So how bad is it exactly? I heard it's the cedar mostly correct?

Austin can be hell for those with sinus issues! Cedar is an issue from November to February -- and it can cause trouble even if you aren't specifically allergic to cedar because there is so much pollen in the air that it acts as an irritant. Then we go straight into spring with oak pollen and elm pollen, grass pollen, mold can be an issue all year around, it is especially bad in summer. We also get ash in the air from agricultural fires in Central America in May and we can get dust from Africa in the summer (on the same winds that bring hurricanes) again, it is the particulate load in the air that can cause problems more than a specific allergy. Then fall brings fall elm pollen, grass again, other fall trees. As that ends, bam! back to cedar again!

Austin can be a tough place for those with asthma, sinus issues, and allergies. And the rest of us too.

All of central Texas is affected, including SA. Houston gets most of it too except for less cedar. Dallas can get the dust but usually not the agricultural smoke, not much cedar in Dallas. But they get the rest of it.

Sinus surgery, allergy shots, allergy drops, regular use of allergy meds are typical here.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,512,973 times
Quote:
Austin is allergy central. It sucks! Cedar in the winter, mold year round, and assorted trees and grasses. You'll spend half the year on Zyrtec.

As for weather here, tornadoes are not that big of a concern and neither are hurricanes but that doesn't mean that there aren't catastrophic events that happen from time to time. There is flooding, including the Memorial Day Flood of 2015 that caused deaths and property damage. Strong winds, while not hurricane strength can cause damage. Texas does have extreme weather, but you'd be hard pressed to find any state that doesn't have any extreme weather patterns from time to time.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Austin can be hell for those with sinus issues! Cedar is an issue from November to February -- and it can cause trouble even if you aren't specifically allergic to cedar because there is so much pollen in the air that it acts as an irritant. Then we go straight into spring with oak pollen and elm pollen, grass pollen, mold can be an issue all year around, it is especially bad in summer. We also get ash in the air from agricultural fires in Central America in May and we can get dust from Africa in the summer (on the same winds that bring hurricanes) again, it is the particulate load in the air that can cause problems more than a specific allergy. Then fall brings fall elm pollen, grass again, other fall trees. As that ends, bam! back to cedar again!

Austin can be a tough place for those with asthma, sinus issues, and allergies. And the rest of us too.

All of central Texas is affected, including SA. Houston gets most of it too except for less cedar. Dallas can get the dust but usually not the agricultural smoke, not much cedar in Dallas. But they get the rest of it.

Sinus surgery, allergy shots, allergy drops, regular use of allergy meds are typical here.
Allergies are big in California too. So if it's not worse it's definitely manageable. We will see when we take a trip out to Austin area.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:39 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,224,154 times
Quote:
Allergies are big in California too. So if it's not worse it's definitely manageable. We will see when we take a trip out to Austin area.
You might want to search "allergies" on this forum. No, it's not just cedar. It's mold year round. And then there's oak and elm. I spent 30 years in CA both northern and southern. I spent 3.5 years in Austin. Two of the reasons we moved away and never looked back were oppressive allergies and the weather. I had 6 sinus infections from allergies (not colds) in Austin in just 3.5 years and my eyes have been permanently affected says my ophthalmologist here... and apparently he's seen it before from TX-ex pats. Our children suffered too. We've lived in every quadrant of the country and NO WHERE has been as bad allergen-wise as TX. For the record, while living in CA (and CT, CO, GA and OH) my allergies consisted hay fever and were fairly mild.

I wish I had listened to the folks on this board before moving to Austin. But instead, I thought, "it can't be THAT bad -- we'll just take Zrytec more often." So wrong.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:49 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,725,132 times
I literally could not move this Saturday from a sinus headache. I took five different pills and passed out at 8pm. No it’s not just cedar.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:29 PM

103 posts, read 113,641 times
Quote:
A trip is not enough to gauge the allergies in Austin. It takes people a couple of years to develop cedar allergies for instance (and then you're doomed). And they're all seasonal so while you may be fine in the spring, fall could kill you.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:22 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,957,898 times
Quote:
If your daughter already has allergies, she should not move to central Texas. I can't state that strongly enough.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:56 AM

240 posts, read 272,499 times
Are we a spa and shopping city? I'm not saying we aren't because I actually don't know. Just never thought of Austin like that. There's a lot of different parts though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin