Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 02:02 PM

97 posts, read 135,334 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My daughters and I want to move to Texas. We are coming from California. My daughters are out of High school. We have looked in areas of Dallas, now inquiring about Austin. I've been told Georgetown and Round Roock are areas I should look into. I'm divorced so it's just the three of us. We know people that have moved in the Austin area and Dallas area and rave about both. Low crime rate and weather is top priority as well as home prices in the high 200,000- high 300,000. Then close driving distance to high end shopping and spas as that my line of work. (And I like
to shop too ) I really want to stay clear of areas that are effected by tornadoes and hurricanes or any other major weather concerns. Any advice, info and input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,506 times
Well, in Texas we have extreme heat in the seven months of summer, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, freezes in the northern half of the state, and droughts. Periodically. Here in the Austin area, there is less extreme weather than in the Dallas area as far as freezes, tornadic activity, and population of Yankees. For the price point that you want for housing you'll have to look outside the major cities, except for San Antonio.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Well, in Texas we have extreme heat in the seven months of summer, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, freezes in the northern half of the state, and droughts. Periodically. Here in the Austin area, there is less extreme weather than in the Dallas area as far as freezes, tornadic activity, and population of Yankees. For the price point that you want for housing you'll have to look outside the major cities, except for San Antonio.
Thank you for that information. That's what I have been told about Austin that's why I want to now look in Austin Areas. What are your thoughts on Georgetown and Round Rock? I know people who absolutely love the move to Texas from California. They don't regret the move at all and they moved from the beloved Orange County highly desired cities.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:37 PM

85 posts, read 92,303 times
Why Austin?? There was an F5 tornado just north of Georgetown in 97 that killed dozens of people and it literally ripped the foundation out of the ground. My sister worked at the hill country galleria out in Bee Cave (just outside of Austin) and a tornado went right over them at work...something else to be weary of....homes need new roofs, hvac systems, etc MUCH more frequently then places of less humidity and extreme weather. My parents own a house in Georgetown and maintenance really adds up. And property taxes are high. Not to mention, homes aren't as cheap as they once were. Not trying to be rude but texas isn't the texas miracle anymore like it once was. Just really make sure it's what you want.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsb9494 View Post
Why Austin?? There was an F5 tornado just north of Georgetown in 97 that killed dozens of people and it literally ripped the foundation out of the ground. My sister worked at the hill country galleria out in Bee Cave (just outside of Austin) and a tornado went right over them at work...something else to be weary of....homes need new roofs, hvac systems, etc MUCH more frequently then places of less humidity and extreme weather. My parents own a house in Georgetown and maintenance really adds up. And property taxes are high. Not to mention, homes aren't as cheap as they once were. Not trying to be rude but texas isn't the texas miracle anymore like it once was. Just really make sure it's what you want.
Hmm. I was told its less likely in Austin areas. I know there isn't a zero percent chance just like earthquakes here in California. What areas would you recommend?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM

85 posts, read 92,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MovingForward View Post
Hmm. I was told its less likely in Austin areas. I know there isn't a zero percent chance just like earthquakes here in California. What areas would you recommend?

Georgetown IS really nice. All areas though have some risk of tornados and flooding depending on where you go. Round rock is closer to the domain, which is a really nice shopping/living development..since you said you liked shopping.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
The home price range you are looking at will determine the location the most. In addition to RR and Georgetown, look at Cedar Park, Leander, Pflugerville all north of Austin.

I would look at San Antonio too, you will find a much greater number of home in that price range. Renting for a while until you get the lay of the land will help too.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 PM

570 posts, read 560,053 times
2MovingFoward let me be the first to welcome u to Texas! As far as summer weather goes, it will be hot no matter where you go, expect severe storms, possible tornadic activity depending where u live. DFW is more prone to tornadoes than Central Texas. Chances of seeing a tornado are very slim to none. As far as affordable housing will depend on your budget. Finding a house in the $200k - $300k range is doable in Georgetown as well as the surrounding cities expect Austin. Coming from California, traffic here isn't that bad if you compare it to LA or The Bay Area, but it does get hectic during morning & evening rush hour. Expect tons of road construction, delays, all across the metro area. Anyways good luck on your search.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:49 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
I really hate to be a second Debbie downer but cantfixstupid is on the right track, troll of not.

Why Austin? Have you visited Texas before? Is it the lower cost of living? The things you've heard online/read/seen on TV? Do you have any connection to Austin?

You'll have to excuse some of our snark and seemingly rude responses, but if you search 'California' within this forum you'll see very similar posts that date back even to last week.

Your budget is low for the Austin area. How big of a house are you looking for? What will your daughter be doing? I will recommend renting for a while before buying. When I moved to the Austin area I thought I would be happy in the burbs but six months later I moved central and am 10 minutes from downtown and would not change it for a thing.

The weather is iffy here and if you're looking to avoid severe weather you'd might as well cross off Texas in general. As mentioned before there are scattered tornadoes in the area. It's worth being prepared for and knowing where the safest places to be in the house are, but it's not "tornado alley" of Oklahoma and Kansas. We also have flash floods. I would worry about that more than anything. And the heat, oh the heat. The heat and humidity take a while to get used to. And if you have any seasonal allergies in California you might as well buy stock in Allegra, Claritin and all the sinus medications you have ever heard of.

With all that said, welcome if I haven't scared you off (also do look into San Antonio, that budget will get you far and depending on where in SA you live you'd be within an hour drive of Austin on a good day).

Old 11-28-2017, 11:25 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Ok, as a resident of Round Rock and whose mother lives in GT, I'll give you perspective on both cities.

High 200s-300s is not "low" for the Austin area. You can get a nice, modestly sized home that zones to good schools for the high 200s. 300s opens your selection even more, either better neighborhood, bigger house, or better schools.

Round Rock and Georgetown are similar in terms of amenities. both offer great highway access and have lots of retail options. You don't need to drive into Austin unless work dictates that you must. Round Rock is bigger than GT but GT is known for its small town feel. The only "small town" feel you'll get in RR is downtown as it is a full fledged suburb now. There are areas though that still retain a rural/country feel in RR and aren't dominated by acre after acre of new homes and few trees. GT has its town square, which is very quaint and lovely. Topography wise, I think west GT is great. But RR is also closer in, which can't be denied. My mom's commute to my house in RR is 28 minutes, so that should tell you. GT has always been popular with retirees and people who love acreage/small town life, but lately younger families are starting to move there as well.

Can't really go wrong with either. Distance is probably the biggest "issue" as a younger family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin